Android App: Stuck on 'Waking up'

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

glavewu

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think it is due to LTE signal strength. But again my previous Volt in my garage can be controlled by app while m3 keeps showing waking up in the same garage...

RIP_OPEC

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think it is due to LTE signal strength. But again my previous Volt in my garage can be controlled by app while m3 keeps showing waking up in the same garage...
It's not due to LTE signal.

I have an iPhone X and in my garage my M3 will not wake up as it should from the app. However while still in the garage, at any time of the the day, when I quickly tap the lock icon twice, it will connect within 5 seconds.

32.2 does seem to wake it up a bit faster with the unofficial lock tapping trick though lol

glavewu

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's not due to LTE signal.

I have an iPhone X and in my garage my M3 will not wake up as it should from the app. However while still in the garage, at any time of the the day, when I quickly tap the lock icon twice, it will connect within 5 seconds.

32.2 does seem to wake it up a bit faster with the unofficial lock tapping trick though lol
Nice to know the trick. I got my car 2 days ago. But the waking up issue only happens in my garage for now. Other places like office or restaurant where I tried to use the app was just fine.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I wanted to check the temperature and maybe get the A/C going. The app says 'Waking up' for a long time, then eventually says 'Vehicle connection error'. Can't control anything, and the location still says my home address. I've tried restarting my phone. I've tried wifi vs data. Still no luck getting the app to connect to the car.

Do I need to call Tesla or am I missing something? Why won't this work?
We got software update 32.2 a couple of days ago and the car wakes up remotely within 1-2 seconds now! Before it would take 5-20 seconds and a number of times it would time-out with a vehicle connection error. Even though the walk-up unlock always worked, the remote connection via LTE was slow and inconsistent.

All that is gone now. Works perfectly. Do you have 32.2 yet?

greatwiseone

Country
Country
We got software update 32.2 a couple of days ago and the car wakes up remotely within 1-2 seconds now! Before it would take 5-20 seconds and a number of times it would time-out with a vehicle connection error. Even though the walk-up unlock always worked, the remote connection via LTE was slow and inconsistent.

All that is gone now. Works perfectly. Do you have 32.2 yet?
I found the same thing too. I'm not sure if it's a combination of the car software update, the Tesla app update, or my phone upgrading to Android pie. The phone key works exactly how it should now!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I found the same thing too. I'm not sure if it's a combination of the car software update, the Tesla app update, or my phone upgrading to Android pie. The phone key works exactly how it should now!
That's great to hear! The only thing that changed for me (when the app connection time got quicker) was the 32.2 car update. My phone as key functionality was already excellent before that update.

Cintoman

Country
Country
Been having constant issues with the phone app getting "connection error" or "server error" after the car's been asleep for a few days or so. Also having tons of issues with my Phone Key being "disconnected". Only way to fix the phone key is to turn airplane mode on/off, and then it'll show "connected". But not much afterwards, it'll go back to "disconnected" status again. Quite annoying that, as I walk up to the car, I have to fool around with the airplane mode settings in order to get my phone key connected.

I'm going to try the unlock/lock button trick to see if this works for my car "waking up".

--Cintoman

Veedio

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yep can confirm this works. Connects immediately as soon as i unlock and lock. Awesome tip and i would have never tried that since the licks are greyed out. Thanks
This tip works for me too WHEN the lock/unlock icon appears. But at least have of the time the icon is grey and this trick won't work at all. I have exactly the same issue with the iOS app.

JML

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm having this problem, too. At home there is plenty of WiFi and LTE signal, but the car will drop the connection after being asleep for a time. Because it has no network connection, it can't be woken up by the app. Pushing a door handle, so it whirs and clunks and stuff, will wake it up, and then the phone app can connect without a problem.

The in app unlock/lock trick also works, and I think I know why. That appears to use the bluetooth key connection. I just tried it, and the lock button was greyed out while the "Phone Key" said "Connecting" as soon as it switched to "Connected" I could lock and unlock the car. That was enough to wake it up, have it connect to the network, and then become available in the phone app. That works great in the house, where the bluetooth reaches to the garage, but not so well at work, and that's where I really want it, so I can turn on the climate control before I leave.

Anybody get a useful response from Tesla service? I haven't had an opportunity to call them yet.

JML

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anybody get a useful response from Tesla service? I haven't had an opportunity to call them yet.
A no-progress progress report. This seemed maybe slightly better with 44.x and 46.x, in that it isn't happening almost every time the car goes to sleep, but only some of the time the car goes to sleep. That might just be a coincidence.

I used the support form on the Tesla website and sent a brief description of the problem. After a week or so, somebody at Tesla got back to me and asked which is my preferred service center. I replied, and they said somebody might eventually call me. I still think this is a software bug, and not a hardware failure, but I could be wrong, as I have no evidence, just my gut feeling based on decades of IT trouble shooting (so I really could be wrong).

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have you guys tried the unlock/lock method to wake up your M3? I figured out that from the app, if you unlock your car and then lock it again 3 seconds later, this will forcefully wake up your car 90% of the time.

Also, when your car automatically locks after you walk away, if you quickly turn on climate control, it will stay awake too, including when Cabin Overheat Protection is working.
This always works. I also use the Tasker app on Android to turn on the climate and that activates the app right away.

JML

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This always works. I also use the Tasker app on Android to turn on the climate and that activates the app right away.
Yes, if the Tasker plugin is able to wake the car, then the Tesla app will find it very quickly. At least in my case, when the Tesla app is unable to wake the car, the Tasker plugin is also unable to wake the car---the car is asleep and can't be woken up over the Internet (LTE or wifi), but can be woken up by bluetooth or a physical interaction. In fact, the way I usually find out the car in unwakeable sleep is that I get an error from the Tasker plugin when it tries to run one of my automated tasks in the morning.

Cintoman

Country
Country
Yes, if the Tasker plugin is able to wake the car, then the Tesla app will find it very quickly. At least in my case, when the Tesla app is unable to wake the car, the Tasker plugin is also unable to wake the car---the car is asleep and can't be woken up over the Internet (LTE or wifi), but can be woken up by bluetooth or a physical interaction. In fact, the way I usually find out the car in unwakeable sleep is that I get an error from the Tasker plugin when it tries to run one of my automated tasks in the morning.
What Android Tasker App are you using to automate things?

Thanks,
Cintoman

JML

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What Android Tasker App are you using to automate things?

Thanks,
Cintoman
I use the Tasker plugin for Tesla with Tasker. It's $1-2 for the plugin, and then another $1-2 to add reporting features (internal temperature, etc.), as well as the command features (start charging, honk horn, etc.). I haven't bothered to buy the reporting features yet.

I have a few tasks programmed to add the last 5% of charge in the morning before I leave, so the battery is a bit warmer. For context, my cheap power is from 9pm to 9am, and the car is set to start charging at 9pm.
  • 8:55pm set max charge level to 70%
  • 6:45am set max charge to 75%
  • 6:50am start charging
  • 9am (If home), stop charging
If the car has gone into un-wakeable sleep, I'll see errors from the tasks in the morning.

Marcel

Country
Country
I'm pretty sure the problem lies within the car. Mine (M3 LR AWD) almost never wakes after about 45' rest. It cannot be awoken by phone or the Tesla service center application.
The car was at the Tesla Service Center for a week and they said it was a bug in the firmware. The issue number is 561823. A software update is supposed to fix the problem. Subsequent software updates (I'm now on 2019.12.1.2) did not fix the problem.

As a workaround I have used Homeassistant, with the Tesla component (https://www.home-assistant.io/components/tesla/) and set the scan_interval to 1800 (seconds). This will effectively wake up the car every 30' circumventing deep sleep. Works fine so far. This might some drain, but I'll take that loss.

Anyway, hope this is useful to some. Maybe if we all complain the bug will get fixed