Ambient light Upgrade M3

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I won't have a checked bag, unfortunately, that's why I was asking! I could get it shipped to myself in Canada but then I would have to pay shipping and duty :(
You should call the airline and ask them Last time I called AA and they told me it was safe to bring the drone batteries on board.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought EL-wire don't get me wrong, I wanted to do it spending just $10 at the beginning 😉
Here some pics so you can see the difference Btw EL and Laser , I'll try to get pictures in the dark.

View attachment 21996 View attachment 21995 View attachment 21997

It looks violet but Its blue blue.

also I've noticed that the flexibility is way different. EL wire has a Metalic thin wire inside, Laser wire is similar to a Fishing line.

Here is a picture in day light, door open laser on.

View attachment 22000
Wow, that is REALLY thin. Thanks for posting the comparison photos.

Does anyone know if I can carry this laserwire in my carry on luggage on a flight. I don't want to order to Canada and pay duties. I can pick up in the states and bring it in person.
It's just plastic and/or glass fiber optics. Nothing to worry about for air travel.
Fiber optics are typically designed to internally reflect and carry light with as little loss out the sides as possible. This stuff is just designed for the opposite, to transmit a very even diffuse amount of light out the sides. It's a Corning product just like most other fiber optics

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@Djgabriel2004 and @AO - Pete

I was in the car tonight installing my blue LEDs from Abstract Ocean. :) I happened to notice that the LED light in the door near the cup holder got significantly dimmer when the door was closed. This surprised me because of Pete's message on page 1:

I'm guessing Pete means the foot well lights dim even darker when in gear?

Does the voltage drop between door open and door closed have any impact on the brightness of the laser? I know the laser is expecting USB Voltage (+5V) and I see the 12v to 5v converter you used is actually a regulator too. It seems to accept voltage as low as 8v, which is really cool. I just wanted to ask if you could tell a difference at all door open vs. door closed.

Also, any update on the "plug and play" option?
Yeah, to clarify, the dimmable lights (footwells, and now I guess the center console lights!) are the ones controlled by the ambient light setting in the UI. This also means they have a specific behavior based on the ambient light and whether the car is in gear. The table below explains this better. The car dims the lights by reducing the voltage on the circuit.

1550611754647-png.22195

The non-ambient lights (i.e. they're not controllable from the UI), so the doors, trunk, frunk) are not dimmable. The door circuits do appear to have a limited amount of output though, we know this because if you install our puddle lights in all the doors, and open them all up, they will all be a bit dimmer. Not a typical use-case, just mentioning because the door light circuit doesn't seem to be an infinite resource to tap for power,

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks @AO - Pete. Out of curiosity, do you or @Djgabriel2004 know what the voltage drops to when it goes to "Dimmed" mode? And is it a constant voltage? I ask because sometimes electronics "dim" lights by introducing pulse-width-modulation instead of changing the actual voltage. No worries if anyone doesn't know this. I'm mainly curious and it would be good to have documented.

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I don't; you just exceeded my electrical engineering knowledge :) Having just read about PWM, you might be right, that seems to be the common approach to dimming LEDs. When I testing the voltage it appeared constant on a basic digital probe, but I'm not sure if you'd need an oscilloscope to really get into the weeds.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks @AO - Pete. Out of curiosity, do you or @Djgabriel2004 know what the voltage drops to when it goes to "Dimmed" mode? And is it a constant voltage? I ask because sometimes electronics "dim" lights by introducing pulse-width-modulation instead of changing the actual voltage. No worries if anyone doesn't know this. I'm mainly curious and it would be good to have documented.
I'm sure they are PWMed. Add it to my list of things to check out with a scope

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here and this thread is very interesting to me. I was wondering if there had been any updates?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was unable to connect with the OP to purchase his kit. I went ahead and got the EL strip with the inverter from Amazon and it turned out great IMO. It's got a soft blue glow and you can't tell where the light is coming from, only visible after sunset and not visible at all in daylight .One thing that doesn't bother me but may to others is the reflection on the windshield. I kind of like it as it helps to focus between the lines while driving at night. Photos don't do it justice.

20190910_200133-jpg.29141
20190910_200250-jpg.29142

Last edited: