Ambient light Upgrade M3

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
If you are tapping the ambient light circuit for power, why is it on during the day? Are the ambient lights on during the daytime?
They will turn on when you open the door no matter if the Ambient light button is on or off. when you close the door, the foot well lights will dim and this one will stay on (unless you turn it off in the screen) I think the Screen button has memory so if you left it off. It will turn on just when you open the door and turn off when you close it.

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I bought EL-wire don't get me wrong, I wanted to do it spending just $10 at the beginning 😉
Here some pics so you can see the difference Btw EL and Laser , I'll try to get pictures in the dark.

img_4841-jpg.21996
img_4840-jpg.21995
img_4842-jpg.21997

It looks violet but Its blue blue.

also I've noticed that the flexibility is way different. EL wire has a Metalic thin wire inside, Laser wire is similar to a Fishing line.

Here is a picture in day light, door open laser on.

img_4838-jpg.22000

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very cool, thank you.

If you could ever get a nighttime picture from driver's eye view, that would be fantastic. Thanks for your contribution. This is a cool mod. Wonder where else it could be run... I'll have to poke around the interior this weekend. Would be cool at the join line in the center console between the black and the silver trim.

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Very cool, thank you.

If you could ever get a nighttime picture from driver's eye view, that would be fantastic. Thanks for your contribution. This is a cool mod. Wonder where else it could be run... I'll have to poke around the interior this weekend. Would be cool at the join line in the center console between the black and the silver trim.
I will take some pics when it gets dark, I was checking my In law Bmw and it has all the way from the dash to the doors and then rear doors, it looks amazing.

The place you mention was my first option however I didn’t have an easy (and not noticeable) way to run it.
I love the OEM or Factory style looking mods but definitely every day I drive the car I check new places to put the fiber, If I like it I put a small piece and test it a few days during day and night to see if I really like it

Last edited:

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
when I spoke to them regarding your question about dual opal they told me they are out of stock and they can send 2 modules with an arduino to make the fade... I rather to stay away from it.
Oh yikes. Not that I'm afraid of arduino, but that doesn't seem nearly as robust a solution... I'm sad to hear about this.

Do you mind me asking who your contact is over there? Or are you just using the main contact info on their website?

Also I'm working in a plug and play solution for the ones that doesn't feel safe tapping the original cables of the car.
Now that is awesome. How are you thinking about doing this? Some kind of piggyback connector?

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Oh yikes. Not that I'm afraid of arduino, but that doesn't seem nearly as robust a solution... I'm sad to hear about this.

Do you mind me asking who your contact is over there? Or are you just using the main contact info on their website?

Just main contact.

Now that is awesome. How are you thinking about doing this? Some kind of piggyback connector?
Something based on Pete’s idea. It will be a Plug and play option and removal so nobody will know that it was there.

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Very cool, thank you.

ced136ff-6eac-4968-8a84-7a1890a16f8c-jpeg.22034

The line is reflected in the glas but It doesn’t bother at all,. I’m (5’11”) and is over my line of vision. I drive the seat all the way down, if I rise it, the line will disappear.
Hope you have a better idea now

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you!

I started scouting around the interior this evening. I wonder if you could attach the fiber with some kind of adhesive if you wanted to have it on the lower side or side of a surface?

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thank you!

I started scouting around the interior this evening. I wonder if you could attach the fiber with some kind of adhesive if you wanted to have it on the lower side or side of a surface?
that would be awesome but not sure if it will be easy without mess it up with the glue, each glue is different when it dries, some of them turns white, and I'm not sure if it will hold it for a long time.. I would definitely look a place where to lean the fiber or a junction between plastics and squeeze it there

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, definitely will be today.

Wonder if it’s pissibke to plug a USB hub into the 12v - 5v USB transformer and run multiples of these? Or would the current draw freak out the car?

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Yeah, definitely will be today.

Wonder if it’s pissibke to plug a USB hub into the 12v - 5v USB transformer and run multiples of these? Or would the current draw freak out the car?
That should work, The good thing is that it will self heal if you reach the consumption limit and the computer shut off the circuit.
If that happens disconnect your lasers and leave just the LED and let the car go to a Deep sleep

I’m not sure how long you need to wait for the Deep sleep cycle but definitely take it with calm and don’t freak out

I had to go to nap with the frustration thinking that the car was broken! 🤣

Of course I don’t recommend you and nobody to play with the circuit Limits.

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Djgabriel2004 and @AO - Pete

I was in the car tonight installing my blue LEDs from Abstract Ocean. :) I happened to notice that the LED light in the door near the cup holder got significantly dimmer when the door was closed. This surprised me because of Pete's message on page 1:

the car reduces the voltage on the circuit to dim the lights when the car in is gear. The lights in the door don't dim, so for this it's a more stable circuit.
I'm guessing Pete means the foot well lights dim even darker when in gear?

Does the voltage drop between door open and door closed have any impact on the brightness of the laser? I know the laser is expecting USB Voltage (+5V) and I see the 12v to 5v converter you used is actually a regulator too. It seems to accept voltage as low as 8v, which is really cool. I just wanted to ask if you could tell a difference at all door open vs. door closed.

Also, any update on the "plug and play" option?

pumxee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know if I can carry this laserwire in my carry on luggage on a flight. I don't want to order to Canada and pay duties. I can pick up in the states and bring it in person.

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@Djgabriel2004 and @AO - Pete

I was in the car tonight installing my blue LEDs from Abstract Ocean. :) I happened to notice that the LED light in the door near the cup holder got significantly dimmer when the door was closed. This surprised me because of Pete's message on page 1:

I'm guessing Pete means the foot well lights dim even darker when in gear?

Does the voltage drop between door open and door closed have any impact on the brightness of the laser? I know the laser is expecting USB Voltage (+5V) and I see the 12v to 5v converter you used is actually a regulator too. It seems to accept voltage as low as 8v, which is really cool. I just wanted to ask if you could tell a difference at all door open vs. door closed.

Also, any update on the "plug and play" option?
I didn’t notice any difference btw door open and closed. It might be because the laser is always getting 5v because of the regulator no matter what is the input voltage.

I had some things to do last week And I couldn’t dedicate too much time to this but I will definitely be working on that this week and hopefully I can have it for the next week. I’ll be posting it here

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Does anyone know if I can carry this laserwire in my carry on luggage on a flight. I don't want to order to Canada and pay duties. I can pick up in the states and bring it in person.
I’m 98% sure that you’re not going to have any problem. But always depends on TSA officer. I’d recommend you to put it in the check luggage instead of bringing it with you on board.
Honestly it shouldn’t be a problem

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@Djgabriel2004 I'm not very handy so not sure I could so something like this but I'm willing to drive down to FL from Atlanta if you can help me out. I'll buy you dinner and beer lol.
I’m working in a Plug and play solution and I’m sure you’ll be able to do it by yourself!! Without having to drive all the way here 😉

pumxee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m 98% sure that you’re not going to have any problem. But always depends on TSA officer. I’d recommend you to put it in the check luggage instead of bringing it with you on board.
Honestly it shouldn’t be a problem
I won't have a checked bag, unfortunately, that's why I was asking! I could get it shipped to myself in Canada but then I would have to pay shipping and duty :(