Ambient light Upgrade M3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's a switched 12 volt source to the left footwell (at VCLEFT - Vehicle Controller Left). You can see these videos from Ingineerix to see how to tap into it:
1. 2.

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hi, thanks for the info, Definitely Isn’t easy to Get 12v constant in the M3.
Is that a constant 12v or changes when the car goes to sleep?

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's a switched 12 volt source to the left footwell (at VCLEFT - Vehicle Controller Left). You can see these videos from Ingineerix to see how to tap into it:
Yeah. And I've actually already tapped in there for a radar detector. The problem with this location is that it's not affected by the Ambient Lights toggle on the touch screen as shown in this video:

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
That source turns on and off with the "ignition". Its supposed to be for a future trailer hitch adapter that hasn't been announced yet.
I don't want to go off topic but would you mind send me a pm with a pic showing me how you ran the dash cam cable?
Tks

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I contacted the Supplier and I got a discount for the laser, just apply this code at the checkout : WELCOME-EG18.
(Link)

Cheers

Last edited:

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey @Djgabriel2004, I think you might have missed my question a while back. I was hoping you could give your opinion on brightness:

Oh, I see. @Djgabriel2004 it looks like you went with the Capsule module rather than the Opal Drive? Did you do that for brightness or just smaller install size? The capsule module appears to be 3X brighter than the Opal Drive, but it doesn't appear to support the fade mode I mentioned above. Do you feel the 70 mW of brightness is needed? If I went with a Dual Drive Opal I'm guessing that would be 20 mW x 2 for a total of 40 wW.
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this. Honestly my only hesitation is having to deal with pulling the door panels off.

pumxee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
EPIC!!! Do you know if this discount is good for the Dual Opal? And did they tell you how long that code is good for?
It's a 5% discount only :p - I too want to pull the trigger on this but can't decide between the red or blue. What color is the one the OP is using?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it looks like the only other options are red and green.
Yeah, but check out the video I posted in post #17. You can use two lasers to get a mix of other colors. It's obviously more expensive and it can end up looking more like a gradient than a solid color. But at least you can achieve a little more variety than the 3 primary colors.

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may totally look terrible compared to the LaswerWire, but I kind of have to wonder how bad side-glow fiber would look. If it could even fit. Looks like it's possible to buy side-glow fiber down to at least 1.5mm. (I know LaserWire is less than 1mm). The reason side-glow fiber might be cool is because you could put high wattage RGB LEDs on it and achieve any color you want.

Some examples can be found on Amazon here, here and here.

This picture looks totally cheesy and I would never destroy a dashboard like this. But it give's an idea what side-glow fiber might look like in this application.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, but check out the video I posted in post #17. You can use two lasers to get a mix of other colors. It's obviously more expensive and it can end up looking more like a gradient than a solid color. But at least you can achieve a little more variety than the 3 primary colors.
I'm OK with that, but I answered a specific question which was asking what color the OP - Origial Poster was using. Looks like a million colors if you mix, but that isn't what the OP did, nor was it the question asked.

Last edited:

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
EPIC!!! Do you know if this discount is good for the Dual Opal? And did they tell you how long that code is good for?
the Discount should work with anything you buy there, however when I spoke to them regarding your question about dual opal they told me they are out of stock and they can send 2 modules with an arduino to make the fade... I rather to stay away from it.

Hey @Djgabriel2004, I think you might have missed my question a while back. I was hoping you could give your opinion on brightness:

with 1 capsule you will be fine, its bright enough, the laser is very powerfull, and we dont want to burn our retina, we just want an ambient light. anything will be better than the darkness lol

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this. Honestly my only hesitation is having to deal with pulling the door panels off.
well, Technically all the wires comes from the car so you should be able to tap the ambient light door wire before it goes to the door however the original harness is taped and compressed and i didn't want to mess it up.
Also I'm working in a plug and play solution for the ones that doesn't feel safe tapping the original cables of the car.

It's a 5% discount only :p - I too want to pull the trigger on this but can't decide between the red or blue. What color is the one the OP is using?
I paid it in full without discount so you're in better position than me at this time lol. I used blue. but I bought red as well just to see if i like it and It doesn't look bad but I remember the red color doesn't bright to much in my pool so I assumed that the foot well lighting in black carpet won't be to bright so I decided to get the blue ones. if you want another color, you just change the Capsule, The fiber will stay.
BTW this is not like EL wire or side glow fiber, This is something different and looks really amazing.

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
This looks spectacular! I've been putting off installing the blue footwell lights I bought, but the simple blue EL in the vent is so nice! I may do the same...I already have 5v and 12v in my A pillar.
Do it, You will love it, but is not EL wire, this is something called Laser wire. It's a powerful laser attached to a very thin fiber.
FYI, I'm working in a Plug and play option where is not needed to cut/tap in to the original cable.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do it, You will love it, but is not EL wire, this is something called Laser wire. It's a powerful laser attached to a very thin fiber.
FYI, I'm working in a Plug and play option where is not needed to cut/tap in to the original cable.
As I realized when I clicked through and did some more research, and tried in vain to find a less expensive alternative. Looks like they are using a special corning fiber optic made to diffuse light. It looks great.
I know EL will not look nearly as deep blue, but you mentioned it was too thick to place there on the dash. I swear I saw someone else do it, perhaps deeper in the vent, so I'm just curious if you have more details on why EL would not work.
It's $10 vs $100 so I may try the cheap option first...

Djgabriel2004

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
As I realized when I clicked through and did some more research, and tried in vain to find a less expensive alternative. Looks like they are using a special corning fiber optic made to diffuse light. It looks great.
I know EL will not look nearly as deep blue, but you mentioned it was too thick to place there on the dash. I swear I saw someone else do it, perhaps deeper in the vent, so I'm just curious if you have more details on why EL would not work.
It's $10 vs $100 so I may try the cheap option first...
Hi, I don’t remember saying EL-wire Won’t work, if I did it my apologies EL-wire will Work. Also The LED+fiber is a good alternative but I’ve read that the color and shine is not the same along the fiber.
I wanted to install something that during the day wasn’t noticeable and and this Laser wire barely can be seen during the day. EL-wire is blue (when off) and a thicker
Also the deep blue that offers the laser is not even close to the EL-wire
if your are worried about the money I’d definitely go with EL wire.
you know where to connect it in order to do the Magic! 😎