Amber turn signals

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also wish the rear turn signals were amber like the European ones. I believe it's easier to distinguish function by the different colors and therefore they are safer. Maybe in the future we will be able to buy European tail lamps from Tesla. Or the last resort is buying parts from a wrecked car.

Edit: Changed my message a little since the post I responded to was merged into this one.

Last edited:

Reid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Huh. I guess I like this design better than the model X which looks silly where the brake light simply goes out when the turn signal is active. First time I saw it, i was convinced something was broken.

I'm assuming the inner "half" of the brake light stays illuminated red when braking+signalling? Or maybe it goes out like on the X to make the turn signal more visible?

Either way, seems like they could have done a vastly better job with this. I already think the thin brake strip looks a bit silly, and it means the 3 has some of the WORST red signals of all time, because that tiny strip is so thin.

Oh well, regardless, I'll pay good money for the proper lights once someone figures out how to make them work.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It has always bugged me that Tesla still put Rear red turn lights in the rear light cluster. For one I personally believe it is far safer to have the amber turn light. I was wondering how the Euro spec 3 rear lights look. Do they have a different arrangement of the lights and how does the fog light integrate? I would really love it if we could retro fit these on US 3's but I fear there could be software issues or even missing wiring.

Could someone please provide a picture showing some of the light arrangement on the Euro cluster I would be most appreciative. If nothing else but to satisfy my burning curiosity. Maybe this is available somewhere but I haven't found it yet, or seen it in any of the early videos.

Thanks kindly for anything provided.
Greg.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could someone please provide a picture showing some of the light arrangement on the Euro cluster I would be most appreciative. If nothing else but to satisfy my burning curiosity. Maybe this is available somewhere but I haven't found it yet, or seen it in any of the early videos.
Check out the pictures and video in this post over in the Amber Turn Signals thread. The LEDs used for the turn signals are different from the LEDs used for brake lights:

Brakes:

Right turn signal:

Arktctr

Country
Country
Check out the pictures and video in this post over in the Amber Turn Signals thread. The LEDs used for the turn signals are different from the LEDs used for brake lights:

Brakes:

Right turn signal:

Looks like they just shortened the length illuminating for braking and replaced the ends with amber for turns. Weird solution in my book. Why isn’t the outer led running light used for braking and the entire inner thin band used for turning?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those are the tiniest turn signals I’ve ever seen.
Everybody really needs to take a look at the turn signals working in real-life instead of forming opinions based on photographs.

Go see a Model 3 in person, turn on the turn signal, and look at it. It's quite bright and easily noticed.
It's not an issue.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everybody really needs to take a look at the turn signals working in real-life instead of forming opinions based on photographs.

Go see a Model 3 in person, turn on the turn signal, and look at it. It's quite bright and easily noticed.
It's not an issue.
exactly. saying the size is too small is like saying an LED diode is not going to work because it is a tiny speck compared to an incandescent light bulb that is 100x larger.

Size doesn't always matter ;)

lairdb

Country
Country

It's not an issue.

A little challenging for those of us in to US to go see an EU signal in person.

OTOH, as long as I'm posting:

I can't find the thread again, but someone posted, either here, TMC, or /r/teslamotors, that they had actually received their Model 3 with one EU taillight assy and one US taillight assy, and they were both working as expected.

This is very surprising to me, and strongly argues against my and @Ingineer's previous hypothesis that a software reconfiguration would be needed.

It is known (including earlier in this thread) that the distinct turn circuit exists in the harness, and the harness is wired up to the point of connecting to the taillight. The turn/stop functions appear to be multiplexed in software, so a configuration change (and replacement taillight assy) should be the necessary steps.
[...]
Given the info from the assembly error car (though I can't find it again -- anybody else bookmark that?) it's suggestive that a direct swap might work.

Reid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Damn, I checked in hoping someone had found a retrofit for our cars :)
Headed to Europe next month but I'll probably just see about picking up a driver's side mirror glass, since the last speculation I heard was that new lights wouldn't be plug and play anyway (they never are.. had to buy a new wiring harness for my Golf).

Arktctr

Country
Country

Brakes:

Right turn signal:

Today while driving in Sunnyvale, CA a Model 3 with new CA temp plate passed me and made a left turn and had rear taillights and turn signals independent of each other similar to the above. Did they switch this into the most current production or was it perhaps a one-off error? As much as I would love separate signals/brakes I have to say the execution was extremely underwhelming and I’m happy with my current configuration.

Reid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today while driving in Sunnyvale, CA a Model 3 with new CA temp plate passed me and made a left turn and had rear taillights and turn signals independent of each other similar to the above. Did they switch this into the most current production or was it perhaps a one-off error? As much as I would love separate signals/brakes I have to say the execution was extremely underwhelming and I’m happy with my current configuration.
Huh, interesting! I'll have to keep my eyes out. I just got back from Europe but was mostly on 2-lane roads and as such didn't have much opportunity to see any turn signals on the 3s I saw. It would be amazing if we had a local resource for an owner with an amber-equipped 3 so we could try swapping it into a "normal" car and see if it just works, without having to take the plunge and buy the parts just on the off chance that it MIGHT work right on a US car.

In amber taillight news, I just bought european outer taillights for my E70 BMW X5, $355 shipped from Latvia. Cheaper/easier than it was on my VW Golf which required a full replacement of all 4 lights (hatch and outers), plus wiring, plus reprogramming, to the tune of ~$950.

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those of us that are interested in Euro style amber turn signals for rear tail lights, this thread on Reddit is pretty informative. Looks like they are plug and play (which I suspected from tapping into the wiring for trailer lights).
Edit: Looks like Euro right hand is part 1077400-00-B and left hand is part 1077399-00-C

Last edited: