Amber turn signals

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see what you’re saying in that scenario, but I guess I still just don’t see the difference really. I promise I’m not trying to be difficult, just thinking of myself on the road and the difference between amber or red (or more common in Florida no blinker at all) doesn’t make much of a difference in how I drive.
Next time I take the motorcycle to work I'll slap on the gopro. Better chance it'll make sense when seen from a motorcyclist's POV, which will generally be further to the right than a car driver's POV when in the leftmost lane (because if you cruise in the left side of the left lane, you're asking for some intellectual powerhouse to do something that runs you into the wall. Own the lane!) and thus harder to get a good view of the full rear end of cars further up in the adjacent lane.

Basically if I see a turn signal when I'm splitting or overtaking with a decent speed difference vs the lane to my right, I have to decide if I want to :

1. brake hard and potentially get killed by the guy behind me, since people suck at following distances
2. Try and snap off a position shift further to the left in the lane and hope he doesn't move over so fast I still can't get clear; or
3. just hope everything works out.

When I've only got a fraction of a second to make a decision that could mean the difference between life as a potato or making it to my destination safely, I want the best information I can get for that decision.

When you have plenty of time to look and see if the light is blinking in a pattern to determine if someone's about to come in, it's still annoying… but when you only have a brief single flash? It's infuriating.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see what you’re saying in that scenario, but I guess I still just don’t see the difference really. I promise I’m not trying to be difficult, just thinking of myself on the road and the difference between amber or red (or more common in Florida no blinker at all) doesn’t make much of a difference in how I drive.
Having amber lights is nice when people turn their hazards on in heavy Florida rain. Makes differentiating between hazards and brake lights much easier.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Next time I take the motorcycle to work I'll slap on the gopro. Better chance it'll make sense when seen from a motorcyclist's POV, which will generally be further to the right than a car driver's POV when in the leftmost lane (because if you cruise in the left side of the left lane, you're asking for some intellectual powerhouse to do something that runs you into the wall. Own the lane!) and thus harder to get a good view of the full rear end of cars further up in the adjacent lane.

Basically if I see a turn signal when I'm splitting or overtaking with a decent speed difference vs the lane to my right, I have to decide if I want to :

1. brake hard and potentially get killed by the guy behind me, since people suck at following distances
2. Try and snap off a position shift further to the left in the lane and hope he doesn't move over so fast I still can't get clear; or

When I've only got a fraction of a second to make a decision that could mean the difference between life as a potato or making it to my destination safely, I want the best information I can get for that decision.

When you have plenty of time to look and see if the light is blinking in a pattern to determine if someone's about to come in, it's still annoying… but when you only have a brief single flash? It's infuriating.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain further. That was very helpful! A whole perspective I never thought of.

Having amber lights is nice when people turn their hazards on in heavy Florida rain. Makes differentiating between hazards and brake lights much easier.
Ugh — now that’s a huge pet peeve and they still do it despite the signs on the road saying not to do it.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The hazard light thing is extremely distracting. Makes driving in heavy rain even worse for everyone else on the road.
I know. I was not saying it’s the right way to drive but a lot of people do it in Florida so having different color lights is helpful.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Above all things, I blame your horse vision.

Because mask. :grin:

SolanaModel3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given how people drive on this side of the pond, you should want the EU lights, @Jay Jay ... ;)
They are proven to be safer because you can't confuse a break signal and a turn signal.
And you have a rear fog light too.

Someone on a french thread was just confirming orange blinkers and right side backup left side rear fog.
The package probably doesn't look much different than ours. Just basically like the tails on the X
I'll post the pics/vids here if they add any.

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The headlights look very cool but to me the tail light looks like a $5 LED strip light I could buy on Amazon. Frankly glad they don't offer rear fog light in the U.S....too many idiots driving around with those on in clear weather or a little bit of rain.

SolanaModel3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So here's the answer...
What is our US break light bar is split 2/1. The inner larger part is the red break light, the outer smaller part is the amber turn signal...
You can see them in action here, around 4:20 in the video (in french)

For those who don't have time, here's the break light active:
1550076875633-png.21912

And here's the turn light active:
1550076791100-png.21911

Marc

SolanaModel3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For a lot of us, it's not a matter of looks or being used to it.
It's just safer. Period.
No ambiguity, no need to wait for the second blink to know if it's a turn signal or a short break if you only see one light, etc
You see amber it means turn. You see red it means breaking. Done.

If you've never watched this video, it explains very thoroughly why amber is safer...

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Amber signals are perfectly legal in the US, I don't understand why they bother to change it. It used to be about cost cutting, common with GM vehicles using just ONE red lamp that was braking or blinking. It has to be some other stupid regulation or brightness requirement, or maybe sharing with Canadien rules.