Amber turn signals

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They should be ashamed of using red for turn signals on the rear when they claim to have any interest in safety. Amber is shown to be safer.
Any statistics on using a blinker vs none at all?

That's the bigger issue here in NJ/NYC area...people have decided they are optional. Much like the BMW masses ;)

It's either that or it's too consuming to operate with a phone and coffee in your hand. :mad:

Charlie W

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

That's the bigger issue here in NJ/NYC area...people have decided they are optional. Much like the BMW masses ;)

It's either that or it's too consuming to operate with a phone and coffee in your hand. :mad:
Being originally from NJ, I just figured cars aren't made with blinkers anymore; they're an added option. Come to think of it, I don't think most Delaware cars come with blinkers either.

~Charlie W

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I wish I believed in religion or karma so I could say that there's a special place in hell for people who change lanes without using turn signals, but alas.

I'd think red would stick out more -- it only makes sense given that it's the color used to indicate the car in front of you is stopping.
Correct. Red for stopping, amber for changing lanes/direction. Sometimes they happen together, often in series and often individually.
But in US, red doesn't mean stopping. Nor does blinking red mean stopping. Nor does flashing red mean turning. One must see at
least half of the vehicle for at least 1 full second to understand, is the vehicle slowing down or not. Is it changing direction or not.

Unfortunately Tesla backlights are insufficient even if brake light is amber (as much as I've seen in EU). One of the worst designs on the streets right now (mostly due to brake light area and visual intensity in bright daylight).

Cherry on the cake is that with red turns, hazards with brakes are pretty much nonsense.
And rear fogs add some sprinkles to that cherry cake. So much that they don't exist.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Correct. Red for stopping, amber for changing lanes/direction. Sometimes they happen together, often in series and often individually.
But in US, red doesn't mean stopping. Nor does blinking red mean stopping. Nor does flashing red mean turning. One must see at
least half of the vehicle for at least 1 full second to understand, is the vehicle slowing down or not. Is it changing direction or not.

Unfortunately Tesla backlights are insufficient even if brake light is amber (as much as I've seen in EU). One of the worst designs on the streets right now (mostly due to brake light area and visual intensity in bright daylight).

Cherry on the cake is that with red turns, hazards with brakes are pretty much nonsense.
And rear fogs add some sprinkles to that cherry cake. So much that they don't exist.
Oh my god don't get me started on fog light abuse.

Reid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is there a way to modify the rear turn signals on the 3 to be amber instead of red? It's a stupid little thing, but red turn signals belong on a beater 60 year old truck with those awful ancient single-bulb brake/turn/parking light housings. Huge pet peeve of mine, I was really bummed out when they went back from the amber on the X to the red on the 3.

Arktctr

Country
Country
Like the X does with its dual-color taillight strips? I'll go one further and say that the taillight design in general is probably the weakest design point in my book (and there isn't much I can complain about otherwise). The overall size of the fixture is good, but the lighting signature looks like an afterthought with its micro-thin strip of LED's on either side. They are bright enough but the illuminated area compared to the size of the overall fixture is tiny and it feels a bit cheap in execution. I wonder if this is something that could be changed OTA some time but I'm also sure I am in the minority in terms of this bothering me (I'm in the design industry and therefore pay attention to execution details like this)...ok, rant over...

Gary Macdonald

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t know about California laws, but I just checked this website - https://www.wheels.ca/news/amber-signals-more-visible-should-be-mandatory/ - for Ontario, Canada.

In Canada they can be either red or amber. In Ontario there is no plan to change to amber turn signals without conclusive scientific evidence that it positively impacts safety.

Personally I liked the amber turn signals on a couple of my old cars. They were highly visible and definitely separate from the brake lights.

My pet peeve is people who tint their headlights brown or turn all the exterior lights blue. So against HTA. Rant over.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In Canada they can be either red or amber. In Ontario there is no plan to change to amber turn signals without conclusive scientific evidence that it positively impacts safety.
As I posted in another thread:
I was going to reply with "citation needed", but I went ahead and tried to find some myself. :)

2009 NHTSA: The Effectiveness of Amber Rear Turn Signals for Reducing Rear Impacts
TLDR: 5.3% more effective - compared cars that changed almost nothing but rear turn signal color from one year to the next.

1977 Volkswagen: What Color Should Rear Turn Signals Be?
TLDR: Concluded that amber was better, but not cost effective.

Pretty good article discussing turn signal issues, including the minimum size requirements in North America that Europe doesn't impose.
https://www.acarplace.com/2018/01/index/

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Is there a way to modify the rear turn signals on the 3 to be amber instead of red? It's a stupid little thing, but red turn signals belong on a beater 60 year old truck with those awful ancient single-bulb brake/turn/parking light housings. Huge pet peeve of mine, I was really bummed out when they went back from the amber on the X to the red on the 3.
We will have to wait for the car to be released in Europe.

Over there (except if that has changed now), amber is mandatory at the back.

Maybe, we will be able to switch the lights with European ones.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I could not agree more. I think that amber is not only safer but aesthetically more pleasing to they eye too.