Amber turn signals

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I saw my first moving Model 3 today and in my slumber I thought it was a Model S. But then it put its blinker on which turns out to be even more spartan than interior. I have watched scores of Model 3 reviews but was quite surprised. I have never seen a blinker like that - a long red dash

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They should be ashamed of using red for turn signals on the rear when they claim to have any interest in safety. Amber is shown to be safer.
It’s funny you say that because I have a strong preference for disliking amber lights. They’re required on the front. I’m so glad they’re not required on the back! :eek:

jsmay311

Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Amber is shown to be safer.
I was going to reply with "citation needed", but I went ahead and tried to find some myself. :)

2009 NHTSA: The Effectiveness of Amber Rear Turn Signals for Reducing Rear Impacts
TLDR: 5.3% more effective - compared cars that changed almost nothing but rear turn signal color from one year to the next.

1977 Volkswagen: What Color Should Rear Turn Signals Be?
TLDR: Concluded that amber was better, but not cost effective.

Pretty good article discussing turn signal issues, including the minimum size requirements in North America that Europe doesn't impose.
https://www.acarplace.com/2018/01/index/

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a motorcycl

as a motorcyclist who often only gets a brief flash of a light to determine if someone is about to violate my right of way and potentially kill me, I hate red signals.
A motorcyclist gave me the finger on the freeway yesterday. :( I did a three blinker signal before moving over and thought I gave him a lot of room (four car lengths-ish) but maybe he didn't see my turn signals and thought I cut him off? How visible are the 3's lights from the back for motorcyclists?

I personally don't have a problem with them, but I prefer amber signals to red as well.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A motorcyclist gave me the finger on the freeway yesterday. :( I did a three blinker signal before moving over and thought I gave him a lot of room (four car lengths-ish) but maybe he didn't see my turn signals and thought I cut him off? How visible are the 3's lights from the back for motorcyclists?

I personally don't have a problem with them, but I prefer amber signals to red as well.
Wonder how difficult they are to change out to amber? Funny (not really), one of my first impressions of the Model 3 was its wimpy taillights and turn signals.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a motorcycl

as a motorcyclist who often only gets a brief flash of a light to determine if someone is about to violate my right of way and potentially kill me, I hate red signals.
Not to be a jerk, but here I'd think red would stick out more -- it only makes sense given that it's the color used to indicate the car in front of you is stopping.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not to be a jerk, but here I'd think red would stick out more -- it only makes sense given that it's the color used to indicate the car in front of you is stopping.
The problem is that if I see the light flash briefly I have no way of knowing if it's a brake light or a turn signal unless I have the context of the other lights and/or good knowledge of that specific car.

If I'm in the left lane at 65mph and a car 1 second ahead of me in the lane adjacent to mine turns on a light that is red on his back left corner, chances are good I'm not going to be able to see the other side of the car to see if there's a correspondingly-illuminated light and go "Oh he's stopping". If he's being followed too closely by the car behind him, which is frequently the case, I might not be able to see a high-mount light either. If it's an amber light, there's no need for context.

Can I take the same action for avoidance for turn signals and brake lights? Sure, but it dramatically increases my chances of being hit from behind, which is one of the leading causes of motorcyclist fatalities involving motorcycles vs cars. Sure, the clown behind me should be far enough back to stop safely but I'd rather not have to find out.

The presumption that a lot of people make wherein I should continue to look at the light and see if it's blinking in a pattern to indicate it's a turn signal burns time and means I have to remain focused on the vehicle instead of the other 350° of the world around me.

An amber light should mean a turn, a red light should mean stopping.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The problem is that if I see the light flash briefly I have no way of knowing if it's a brake light or a turn signal unless I have the context of the other lights and/or good knowledge of that specific car.

If I'm in the left lane at 65mph and a car 1 second ahead of me in the lane adjacent to mine turns on a light that is red on his back left corner, chances are good I'm not going to be able to see the other side of the car to see if there's a correspondingly-illuminated light and go "Oh he's stopping". If he's being followed too closely by the car behind him, which is frequently the case, I might not be able to see a high-mount light either. If it's an amber light, there's no need for context.

Can I take the same action for avoidance for turn signals and brake lights? Sure, but it dramatically increases my chances of being hit from behind, which is one of the leading causes of motorcyclist fatalities involving motorcycles vs cars. Sure, the clown behind me should be far enough back to stop safely but I'd rather not have to find out.

The presumption that a lot of people make wherein I should continue to look at the light and see if it's blinking in a pattern to indicate it's a turn signal burns time and means I have to remain focused on the vehicle instead of the other 350° of the world around me.

An amber light should mean a turn, a red light should mean stopping.
Ok now that does make good sense!