Am I Thinking This Right?

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
As far as Full Self Driving goes, I am thinking it might play out a bit different. I am scheduled to get my car in the late spring (East Coast, non owner). A lot can happen between now and then...especially when it comes to software. Assuming cost is not a particular issue, which it may or may not be yet...we'll see, I am looking at FSD a little differently. FSD enables all 8 cameras on the car. It is currently running on just one and Enhanced Auto Pilot enables 4. To me, even if FSD isn't enabled or does not receive regulatory approval, they could at some point enable all 8 cameras to those that bought FSD to enhance and increase the awareness of the surroundings thus making EAP that much safer and capable...right?

I think I am going to see where it sits when I get my configuration invite. If they have enabled the 4 cameras for EAP by then, I think I will go ahead and spring for the FSD on the hopes that in the near future, they enable the other 4 to increase the effectiveness of EAP. Sure, it is a guess and hope at this point with no real information one way or the other but to me, enabling the other 4 cameras might be enough of an incentive to coax people to go ahead and get FSD even if its release isn't in the foreseeable future.

Am I living a pipe dream or does this sound somewhat reasonable?

Dan

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think that purchasing FSD would result in any differences to how EAP operates. It's not a matter of Tesla just "enabling" more cameras. The problem is that they need to write software that can interpret what the camera sees, reconcile that with what the radar and other cameras see, and use that information in a useful way. And that software needs to run on the limited computing hardware available to the car.

If Tesla determines a way for EAP to make use of more cameras, then every car that has EAP activated will start using those cameras, regardless of whether a particular car owner has also purchased FSD.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have shared that I won’t be getting EAP for budget (and “happy wife, happy life” reasons), but my viewpoint is this...

I would want EAP and not FSD.

A $3,000 option with no sense of when I can use it seems and feels extreme. For me personally I have a tendency to keep cars for 3 years. With the Model 3 my goal is 5-6 years. Think about how long you’ll keep this car and use that to help influence your decision as well.

On one hand paying now saves $1,000 eventually but on the other hand paying may just get the 2nd owner FSD.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I don't think that purchasing FSD would result in any differences to how EAP operates. It's not a matter of Tesla just "enabling" more cameras. The problem is that they need to write software that can interpret what the camera sees, reconcile that with what the radar and other cameras see, and use that information in a useful way. And that software needs to run on the limited computing hardware available to the car.

If Tesla determines a way for EAP to make use of more cameras, then every car that has EAP activated will start using those cameras, regardless of whether a particular car owner has also purchased FSD.
Good point.

I guess the old tried and true "wait and see" approach is the best way to go with FSD.

Dan

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I certainly want EAP. It makes driving that much less stressful. Especially in the busy rush hour traffic we have here in The Netherlands. But also when I drive home late at night when the highways are empty (quite often, for 100 km) it's more relaxing.
For the same reasons I'd love FSP, but I doubt it will be functional fast enough. I don't doubt it will work someday, but maybe not for 5 years. By then I may have switched to a Model Y.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
As far as Full Self Driving goes, I am thinking it might play out a bit different. I am scheduled to get my car in the late spring (East Coast, non owner). A lot can happen between now and then...especially when it comes to software. Assuming cost is not a particular issue, which it may or may not be yet...we'll see, I am looking at FSD a little differently. FSD enables all 8 cameras on the car. It is currently running on just one and Enhanced Auto Pilot enables 4. To me, even if FSD isn't enabled or does not receive regulatory approval, they could at some point enable all 8 cameras to those that bought FSD to enhance and increase the awareness of the surroundings thus making EAP that much safer and capable...right?

I think I am going to see where it sits when I get my configuration invite. If they have enabled the 4 cameras for EAP by then, I think I will go ahead and spring for the FSD on the hopes that in the near future, they enable the other 4 to increase the effectiveness of EAP. Sure, it is a guess and hope at this point with no real information one way or the other but to me, enabling the other 4 cameras might be enough of an incentive to coax people to go ahead and get FSD even if its release isn't in the foreseeable future.

Am I living a pipe dream or does this sound somewhat reasonable?

Dan
Tesla is not going to risk not giving you the car's ultimate safety capability to make $5k. It's not in their nature. They will make the car as safe as possible in base configuration.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
EAP for sure but FSD is still a long time away and I can’t justify spending money on something that isn’t here and I doubt I would use. Besides, if I change my mind I can always buy it later. I can earn $ putting the $3K into an investment to offset the buy it later penalty

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Dan Detweiler I think tesla will be using the same cameras for the auto safety features no matter if you buy AEP or FSD (or neither).
I originally thought I would just go with AEP and maybe, if it came around add the FSD option later. Now, I am leaning toward adding both at the time of delivery. Partly because I’ve saved more cash than I planned by this time and after hearing the hints that ‘if’ a gpu does need to be swapped out, that would happen for no charge on those with the FSD paid up front. Does that mean it could cost more than $4k to add it later, sounds like it could be.
I don’t intend to sign up for the tesla network, or let my car drive around without me, but the idea of AP going beyond the limits of EAP is interesting to me and may be worth the $3k gamble

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I have shared that I won’t be getting EAP for budget (and “happy wife, happy life” reasons), but my viewpoint is this...

I would want EAP and not FSD.

(...)
Totally with you on all this, @SoFlaModel3 , particularly the ‘HW/HL’ driver!! :)

Now... if my little consulting company is really working well by the end of 2018... & if wifey really enjoys her 4-Series convertible...??
Time will tell... :D

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Dan Detweiler I think tesla will be using the same cameras for the auto safety features no matter if you buy AEP or FSD (or neither).
I originally thought I would just go with AEP and maybe, if it came around add the FSD option later. Now, I am leaning toward adding both at the time of delivery. Partly because I’ve saved more cash than I planned by this time and after hearing the hints that ‘if’ a gpu does need to be swapped out, that would happen for no charge on those with the FSD paid up front. Does that mean it could cost more than $4k to add it later, sounds like it could be.
I don’t intend to sign up for the tesla network, or let my car drive around without me, but the idea of AP going beyond the limits of EAP is interesting to me and may be worth the $3k gamble
I’m personally not interested (yet;) in FSD but your logic makes total sense.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Totally with you on all this, @SoFlaModel3 , particularly the ‘HW/HL’ driver!! :)

Now... if my little consulting company is really working well by the end of 2018... & if wifey really enjoys her 4-Series convertible...??
Time will tell... :D
Unfortunately it's actually less the money (though $5k more is a lot when you're already maxed out on the agreed upon budget), my wife doesn't trust EAP or least more so she likely doesn't trust that I'll still watch the road. I've taken her in my dad's S and we've used EAP a lot and she didn't seem to mind, so my assumption can only be that she thinks I'll sit in the car texting and not pay attention to support the car if EAP should fail. Sadly I can't say this is inaccurate.