Alternate aero cover

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What do you guys think of this design?

wheel-13-jpg.4464

Simple and effective.
No vents for brake cooling, but this is an electric car with regenerative brakes where the heat build up would be at the motor(s) anyway.
Obviously not for the track and not ideal for city driving without EAP.
But for those long road trips, this may be a great range extending option.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I see what you are going for here and I like the idea but for my personal taste I think I like the areo wheel cover a little better. I'd really like to see some other options like this available though, it's tough to make a good looking aerodynamic wheel cover. Everyone will have their own opinions and maybe you could come up with a whole line of options. That would be cool! In your pic the carbon pattern is aligned on both wheels. Will it look as good once it's on the car and the patterns never match up between front and rear or will it seem odd at that point? I really like the design you did of the carbon lug and center cover for the base areo wheel. Any chance you'll be making those (or something similar) for sale?

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Personally I love this design, but my wife like you does not care for it.
I was hoping you guys could settle our debate . . . but not on her side.
Oh well, back to the drawing board.

The carbon fiber is much finer than what appears in the picture so the pattern is not very noticeable until you're close up. I don't think you will be able to discern the direction of the fabric on both wheels simultaneously.

I like designing and building new things more than I do producing them. The day job keeps me too busy for anymore work (I play a doctor in real life). My son though expressed an interest in taking some of my ideas to market to help fund his college tuition. He is talking to a local manufacturer in Houston about the carbon fiber lug cover. We still need a little more time to field test before we finalize the drawings. Will keep you informed.

CJ

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry I ended up on the wrong side of the debate...LOL! If these had some type of different pattern on them they would look better. What would really be cool is some type of 3d looking wheel printed on the surface. If you could easily change out the print and have a different looking wheel for not much expense that would even be better. (...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Roderick80

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Personally not my cup of tea, but anything related to wheels is highly subjective.

I suspect there will be third party offerings that produce a wide virety of options on the below sliding scale:

Aesthetics <—————> Efficiency

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Personally not my cup of tea, but anything related to wheels is highly subjective.

I suspect there will be third party offerings that produce a wide virety of options on the below sliding scale:

Aesthetics <—————> Efficiency
Another down vote? Thanks a lot . . . my wife is just gloating now.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry I ended up on the wrong side of the debate...LOL! If these had some type of different pattern on them they would look better. What would really be cool is some type of 3d looking wheel printed on the surface. If you could easily change out the print and have a different looking wheel for not much expense that would even be better.

On another note and just out of curiosity, what kind of Doc are you? I just had Cardiologist tell me I might need a minor heart transplant....no kidding, I've been wondering if there are any Cardiologist on here but it's not worth it's own thread on a car forum!
You really don't want any interchangeable parts on that part of the car. (...)

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You really don't want any interchangeable parts on that part of the car.
(...)
(...)
Keep trying on the wheel cover design tough, it really does make a huge difference in the way a car looks. Plus if you come up with one that makes the wife happy "maybe" she'll even let you put them on the car....:D

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe just aim for a nice decal you put on each Aero hub? That would save you from having to make and fit a new cap. FYI, your caps don't vent the calipers and channel air, so they aren't super practical.

Here's a hack of a photo-realistic copy of an Audi 5-spoke wheel that I quickly did. Preserves the venting—and thus the cooling and aerodynamics—of the Aero. They would be printed on transparent Mylar using chrome inks. You probably could pick a better design, but this is just to show what something like this might look like.

Jayc

Country
Country
What do you guys think of this design?

View attachment 4464

No vents for brake cooling, but this is an electric car with regenerative brakes where the heat build up would be at the motor(s) anyway.
Surely you are joking right? Sure it may be possible to design a full cover but I wouldn't go near aftermarket modified covers.

You drive this thing on the motorway and apply brakes at 70mph or in an emergency you press the brakes hard, it is the good old friction brakes that's going to save your life and you bets they will get hot.

If something can be simplified, it is more than likely the boffins at Tesla will have thought about it.

Last edited:

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe just aim for a nice decal you put on each Aero hub? That would save you from having to make and fit a new cap. FYI, your caps don't vent the calipers and channel air, so they aren't super practical.

Here's a hack of a photo-realistic copy of an Audi 5-spoke wheel that I quickly did. Preserves the venting—and thus the cooling and aerodynamics—of the Aero. They would be printed on transparent Mylar using chrome inks. You probably could pick a better design, but this is just to show what something like this might look like.
Decal on a $50k car? What is the fun in that?
Do we really need vents?

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Surely you are joking right? Sure it may be possible to design a full cover but I wouldn't go near aftermarket modified covers.

You drive this thing on the motorway and apply brakes at 70mph or in an emergency you press the brakes hard, it is the good old friction brakes that's going to save your life and you bets they will get hot.

If something can be simplified, it is more than likely the boffins at Tesla will have thought about it.
If you study the history of formula 1, there have been multiple attempts at the shroud wheel covers.
They were rather successful but were deemed non-compliance with F1 rules because aerodynamic devices were not allowed on the wheels.
Also the tendency to interfere with the pit crew or fly off at high speed caused their abandonment as an aero device. McLaren in their design of the future F1 prototype thought it was a worthwhile design.

Ecomodders have been using the moon discs for a while. I know of no reports of failing brakes on their ICE cars.
On an electric vehicle with regenerative braking on the highway, the brake is very rarely used. In an emergency braking situation, the brake will indeed heat up, but it would do so regardless if you have vents or not. The vents are used to cool the brake after the event. Unless you apply a series of several emergency stops in immediate succession like on a race track, venting is not an issue. Don't worry though, if I ever follow through with this design, I'll definitely test it with several remote thermo sensors first.

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ha ha. Now you're just making fun of me.

But this is my real inspiration:
View attachment 4471

If it is good enough for the McLaren, surely it would be good enough for my mod 3?
As a huge F1 fan I can't believe that I have not seen that McLaren prototype. SO wish the rules would allow that instead of the stupid Halo device for next year......Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled program....lol

I agree with you on the cooling. Yes, the brakes need to be cooled but for normal driving it's not an issue......well......unless you drive like I do!;)

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

How about this instead:

red-with-silver-jpg.4483

Vistan

Country
Country
@chojn1 and @route66guy:

I think you can accomplish most of what you are proposing in the below pic by using Plasti Dip's "Bright Aluminum Wheel Kit" ($70 at dipyourcar.com). I verified with DYC that the kit will work fine on the plastic wheel cover. You would be left with a dark alloy rim around the wheel cover, but you could Plasti Dip that as well. If I ever get a Model 3, I'll be the guinea pig...

Vistan