HOT All Model 3's built since September 1 now have noise emitter

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It will likely have to be hooked up again each year for the safety inspection.
I'll be surprised if any state adds a check for this to their safety inspections. They're mostly just checking for road-worthiness.

In PA, your TPMS doesn't even need to be functional, and that's been a requirement for several years now.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
“Tesla making the safest vehicles” should apply to more than the occupants. Pedestrians count too
I know that this is the argument for adding these noisemakers, but it's wrong. Pedestrians don't get run over because they can't hear an EV. They get run over because they're looking at their phones and not paying attention. It's difficult to hear a single vehicle because all of the other vehicles in the area are making too much noise. If all vehicles could simply be quieter, it would help.

Imagine New York City without all the vehicular traffic. Imagine how quiet it used to be when there were only horses. Now, imagine that it could be that way again in the future when all combustion vehicles are replaced with electric. We need to stop adding to the noise pollution.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a road outside my work that parallels a more major road...The work road is very light traffic as it only feeds our business unit. The main road is a massive thoroughfare. The roads are separated by a vehicle arrest wire fence. The sidewalk is only available on the more-busy road. It borders a passenger train station.

...Basically, every pedestrian uses the side-road as a walkway instead of the sidewalk because it's on the quieter side of the vehicle barrier....and there are a lot of pedestrians.

I find driving to work is TREACHEROUS because of these pedestrians who can't hear my silent car. I see them coming and they are walking in the middle of the road with their heads in their phones (darwin award). I slow down (but don't stop) so I become less than wheel-noise. When they finally look up a few feet away from my bumper they have a full panic attack because their lizard brain takes over seeing a 'moving object' about to mow them down.

I just want a pedestrian noise emitter on a horn type circuit, instead of always-when-slow.

Edit: I am SO UPSET that I didn't have my teslacam usb in the car (was pulling footage for another event)...this pedestrian was comedy gold.

Last edited:

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Except for the blind ones. Which is, I think, the point of the regulation.
Problem comes down to stuff like AirPods / headphones... even a small horn tap often doesn't get the attention of folks sometimes, it takes the rude beeeep to get their attention. If too much of the population is effectively hard at hearing now what?

Also while I get the response to quiet EVs should have it, there's actual gasoline cars in our neighborhood as quiet..

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Problem comes down to stuff like AirPods / headphones... even a small horn tap often doesn't get the attention of folks sometimes, it takes the rude beeeep to get their attention. If too much of the population is effectively hard at hearing now what?

Also while I get the response to quiet EVs should have it, their's actual gasoline cars in our neighborhood as quiet..
I just want a pedestrian noise emitter on a horn type circuit, instead of always-when-slow.
I think we are left with using the horn to make the Darwin Award contenders aware of us. But we are the responsible quiet-car drivers, vs. other drivers who aren't as aware. Maybe car design and AI will improve enough that all cars will avoid pedestrian crashes, and minimize bodily injury when it's unavoidable. I'm not optimistic, given the urge to deregulate everything.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know that this is the argument for adding these noisemakers, but it's wrong. Pedestrians don't get run over because they can't hear an EV. They get run over because they're looking at their phones and not paying attention.
I agree with you, except for the “it’s wrong” part.

I see this as more of a parking lot requirement. It might just be enough to actually get one of these folks attention.

Just because they might not be paying as much attention as they should doesn’t mean they deserve to be injured — and that’s not an argument I’d be willing to make if I was sued by someone I injured because they walked out in front of my car AFTER I removed the noisemaker.

When all the combustion vehicles are replaced by EV’s — and stop-n-go traffic results in all vehicles suddenly slowing to less than 19 km/h and then suddenly start emitting their required tones, it could get annoying very quickly. I think we have a few years to find a solution for this, though.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just because they might not be paying as much attention as they should doesn’t mean they deserve to be injured
because a pedestrian doesn't realize a car is nearby doesn't mean the driver isn't responsible for stopping for them. regardless, it is ALWAYS on the driver to avoid people no matter if they are where they should be or not.

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
because a pedestrian doesn't realize a car is nearby doesn't mean the driver isn't responsible for stopping for them. regardless, it is ALWAYS on the driver to avoid people no matter if they are where they should be or not.
...ice cream truck it is, then! Also a diffuser for the scent of warm cinnimon rolls to really set things in motion. And a strobing light show when peds approach too closely (or, oh hell, we have AI pattern recognition) and/or are doing ANYTHING other than maintaining eye contact with the driver.

And auto-turrets with water payload.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
that’s not an argument I’d be willing to make if I was sued by someone I injured because they walked out in front of my car
If you feel that added noise is helpful in a situation, then turn up your stereo, or tap the horn.

A noise maker isn't going to prevent those sorts of accidents from happening. It might prevent some small percentage, but I'm not sure how you'd measure that. It will probably also cause some small percentage of accidents - your unique car noise might distract someone from looking at another vehicle hitting them from another direction. I think the benefits are dubious and difficult to measure, but the effect on noise pollution is obvious and unnecessary.

Kimmo57

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really can't see how a silent humm could cause accidents or be harmful to anyone in any way. As someone who has driven on parking lots, I can see the benefits clearly. Complaints about noise pollution for something equivalet of the noise level inside the car at 20 km/h or 12 mph are unnecessary .

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the issue I have (and am sure others feel the same), is the regulation was designed specifically to target/penalize EVs and PEHVs. But in reality there are many combustion engine cars, when in good working order, are nearly silent when moving at low speeds and specifically when coasting. Not every ICE sounds like a diesel F250.
Before getting my Model 3, I had been driving two different small ICE cars. One was a 4cyl turbo and the other a V6, both with stock exhaust. The V6 made no sound at lower speeds, and really the only sound at higher speed was from the tires and when accelerating. The turbo made just slightly more noise at low speeds and when coasting. With both, countless times, I would be following people walking down the middle of a parking lot drive aisle that had no idea there was a car behind them. A light horn tap would startle them and they would get over to the side of the aisle.
Point being, both of those cars were essentially silent for the purposes of pedestrians hearing them when not looking, but would be exempt from this regulation.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
that all said, if the sound @TrevP posted is the final one being included, it is the best I would have hoped for Tesla to use.
It's important to remember that the generated sounds must adhere to NHTSA standards. That's why we can't have custom sounds (yet). There was some discussion about it but so far no rulings on that.

original-png.29037

Lots of information in the regulations if people care to read them:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

Updates to the above on Feb 26 2018:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...um-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's important to remember that the generated sounds must adhere to NHTSA standards. That's why we can't have custom sounds (yet). There was some discussion about it but so far no rulings on that.

View attachment 29037

Lots of information in the regulations if people care to read them:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

Updates to the above on Feb 26 2018:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...um-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric
I agree, there should not be custom sounds. That would very quickly become obnoxious