All 4 Tesla models drag racing

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • Please post your personal videos into a single thread to keep things organized. Thanks

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Model 3 almost catches the X P100D at one point then falls back. I wonder if this is purely a voltage advantage of the 100kw battery or are the motors much more powerful? The Model 3 Performance would certainly beat the P75.

I love the original roadster!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I couldn't bring myself to watch, after seeing who's channel this was on.

For those that hadn't seen it, this guy made a video about traded in his 'very dangerous' RWD Model S for a new Dual motor X for the safety of his family. (spoiler, he never rotated or changed the tires and the S's rear tires were totally bald).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Model 3 almost catches the X P100D at one point then falls back. I wonder if this is purely a voltage advantage of the 100kw battery or are the motors much more powerful?
It's a fun video, but it isn't a scientific comparison, so it's hard to make many conclusions.

We have no idea what SOC any of the cars were at, for starters, and that can make a huge difference in performance in a drag race. And we don't have a good continuous view of the 3 and X as they go down the track, in particular. Or what distance they went to, or what top speed they reached before letting off. We don't know if the S and X used launch control or not either.

The Model 3 Performance would certainly beat the P75.
There is no P75 - did you mean P85?

My Model 3 Performance felt quicker than a Model S P90D Insane-mode loaner that I drove, but I didn't take any measurements to validate that. I'm pretty sure that a Ludicrous S P90D would be quicker.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no P75 - did you mean P85?

My Model 3 Performance felt quicker than a Model S P90D Insane-mode loaner that I drove, but I didn't take any measurements to validate that. I'm pretty sure that a Ludicrous S P90D would be quicker.
Sorry I meant the P85. It should definitely beat any Model S or X 75. I'd think it would be in line with a P90D but that car has some extra weight and softer suspension which probably makes it feel slower.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I couldn't bring myself to watch, after seeing who's channel this was on.

For those that hadn't seen it, this guy made a video about traded in his 'very dangerous' RWD Model S for a new Dual motor X for the safety of his family. (spoiler, he never rotated or changed the tires and the S's rear tires were totally bald).
I missed it was THAT group.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Like I said, it seems to depend on whether a particular P90D has the short-lived Insane mode or the newer Ludicrous mode.
OK but then that suggests the margin is down to software implementation, not necessarily hardware,

I guess I’m just wondering how much can be squeezed out of the P3D compared to other models. The battery pack and output is definitely a factor, but to what extent. I don’t expect you to know the answer, it’s just fun spectulating.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK but then that suggests the margin is down to software implementation, not necessarily hardware
Two responses to that:
  1. The Ludicrous upgrade actually required a new battery pack (reference). So in that case, a hardware upgrade was involved.
  2. It's my opinion that a Model 3 Performance really is just a regular Model 3 AWD with a $11,000 software change. :)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Two responses to that:
  1. The Ludicrous upgrade actually required a new battery pack (reference). So in that case, a hardware upgrade was involved.
  2. It's my opinion that a Model 3 Performance really is just a regular Model 3 AWD with a $11,000 software change. :)
I won't say they are "Different" but the Performance model does get the top of the line tested motors right? So a slight hardware difference perhaps. That isn't to say that if they have a whole lot of those motors that all test out top of the line some would be put into regular RWD and AWD cars as well, but at least you do have motors that are tested to meet a bit higher mark than what can make it into the other cars.

Not starting an argument or noting you aren't likely very correct, but they did note that Performance gets those higher tested motors.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I won't say they are "Different" but the Performance model does get the top of the line tested motors right? So a slight hardware difference perhaps. That isn't to say that if they have a whole lot of those motors that all test out top of the line some would be put into regular RWD and AWD cars as well, but at least you do have motors that are tested to meet a bit higher mark than what can make it into the other cars.

Not starting an argument or noting you aren't likely very correct, but they did note that Performance gets those higher tested motors.
Yeah, but you have to wonder how much real world difference those higher tested motors provide. I'm driving a P3D, and my gut says @garsh is likely spot on with his second point.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, but you have to wonder how much real world difference those higher tested motors provide. I'm driving a P3D, and my gut says @garsh is likely spot on with his second point.
I'm with you, really always wondered how much better one motor could test out more than another, but Tesla said it and touted it. So thought it might be some differentiator other than just SW.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm with you, really always wondered how much better one motor could test out more than another, but Tesla said it and touted it. So thought it might be some differentiator other than just SW.
I think you are correct, but I wonder, if we could assign percentages, 95/5 software/motors?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
but...... there were also some end of Q3 stealth P3D deliveries that showed up for their delivery appointment without showing as a Dual Motor on the screen, new owner questioned it, and car went around the corner to service and returned a short time later with the red underline on the screen... so, was it a true P3D with the higher spec'd/tested motors or a straight Dual motor car with software changed at the service center?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
but...... there were also some end of Q3 stealth P3D deliveries that showed up for their delivery appointment without showing as a Dual Motor on the screen, new owner questioned it, and car went around the corner to service and returned a short time later with the red underline on the screen... so, was it a true P3D with the higher spec'd/tested motors or a straight Dual motor car with software changed at the service center?
So, you're implying in these cases 100/0 software/motor? I suspect you may be right.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, you're implying in these cases 100/0 software/motor? I suspect you may be right.
how much of a variety do we think the higher bench tested motors are from the ones that just pass QC? If on a scale of 1-10 and saying a passable motor (for any model) needs to score between 3-10, are the P motors all 10s? 8-10?
So while Ps may have cherry-picked motors (or may not), my non-P may theoretically could also have an equally scored motor. After all, the majority of the Model 3s out there are not Ps, so expect they have more testing within the P threshold level than P cars being produced for them.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's my opinion that a Model 3 Performance really is just a regular Model 3 AWD with a $11,000 software change. :)
Yes, you're probably right.
They're likely tested to higher tolerances and thresholds, a it like CPU 'binning' - so you could take your 2ghz CPU and 'overclock' it to 3ghz and it might be fine, or it might become unstable. Or you could buy the 3ghz model and be guaranteed it will be fine because it was already tested way beyond that.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just reminding what Tesla and Musk said. I would be super curious if I were the owner of that car they updated the SW on. I believe the QC on all of the motors likely dictates that they all fall within a very high tolerance, how much more could you expect out of one to dictate that it makes a Performance car vs a regular AWD. Likely not much, but Tesla says they can and do. I'm on board that 99.5 % (or choose your percentage) of the difference is really SW.