Alexa Auto

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wow - when did they release this? I signed up last year when they announced and never heard from them and looked for it about a month ago and didn't see it. One of my main uses of Alexa is lists - having one in the car I'd never have to remember when I need to add something to a list - just ask her to do it while you are in the car. If it will connect to Bluetooth in the car and you like Amazon music you could play your tunes from Amazon to the car. Those are just the first two that come to mind. Now off to Amazon, but with Prime days coming next week they will surely be on sale.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Which device did you install? I went to look and I don't see a device by Amazon. They announced last year they were building one but I don't see it. I see 3rd party devices. The 3rd generation dot is only 24.99 right now and would be about the easiest I would think if the USB's have enough juice for it. Then connect it to the phone hotspot. Every time you start the car it boots and you'd have full control.

Other uses - control lights in the house before you get home. Turn on and heat the hot tub before you get home.

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone willing to explain what this is about in more detail. I’m intrigued. What is it, how hook up, best use cases you can think of. Thanks in advance.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got one today and mounted it in front of the steering wheel. Very compact, the size of a 1/4" thick credit card. Powered by USB and connects to Bluetooth of your phone. You can ask Alexa for directions, weather, news, sports, etc. You can link it to 3rd party apps so it can read emails and texts. You can have it play and control music. Keep in mind this will use phone data and music is from your music accounts. Cool gadget but I feel it would be more useful in a simple ICE car that does not have Android Auto or Apple play. We have navigation and streaming music onboard.
[removed commercial link]

Last edited by a moderator:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I found it now - they call it the "Echo Auto" and it is still by invitation only. I signed up last year, but guess I"m not worthy of the invitation just yet. Maybe I'll get an invite soon. Looks like they know I still made a request, just says they will honor all requests in time.

Can you confirm if you issue a command to control a light at home does it know where your home and controller are and can it control them remotely? In home Alexa has no problem controlling my lights, but the command leaves and comes back to the same network. If a command is issued for lighting or other device on your home network but you are remote did they make her smart enough to know to return the command to your home Alexa and device?

@Nom - this link will give more info from Amazon

Amazon product

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for all the response. I signed up for it a few months back and got lucky I was chosen. I am however not a whzz at this stuff so Im looking for help and suggestions as to factory like instalation ideas as well as getting as much use as possible out of its capabilities. I only did the install today so have not had time to explore the capabilities. Best hookup idea would be welcome. Right now Im using the 12v plug in the back of the console temporarily. One think I like is I now have AM radio through the IHeart app. So please guys give me your ideas and thoughts! Thanks

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can you have two Bluetooth connections at same time? One for Echo and one for streaming?

I stream SXM on my phone but if I connect to my radar detector on BT then SXM cuts off.

So If Echo is connected can you still stream from other phone app like iHeart?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can you have two Bluetooth connections at same time? One for Echo and one for streaming?

I stream SXM on my phone but if I connect to my radar detector on BT then SXM cuts off.

So If Echo is connected can you still stream from other phone app like iHeart?
bluetooth can have multiple connections, but only a single audio connection. does your radar detector use the audio bluetooth connection to broadcast alerts or something over the speakers?

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
bluetooth can have multiple connections, but only a single audio connection. does your radar detector use the audio bluetooth connection to broadcast alerts or something over the speakers?
According to my phone symbols the radar detector does not.

But that aside what profile does Echo use? Does it use audio for two way audio?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
According to my phone symbols the radar detector does not.

But that aside what profile does Echo use? Does it use audio for two way audio?
From the Amazon site:
Bluetooth
Hands-Free Profile (HFP) support for calling, Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming, Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of media sessions, Serial Port Profile for Bluetooth connectivity to Android phones and iPod Accessory Protocol for Bluetooth connectivity to iPhones.

mnsweeps

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
sorry where is the picture of the hookup? I got mine last week and was struggling for a place. I just put it attached to a velcro on the side in the front console area where the 2 USBs are. Its hidden from view. In the picture attached the USB hub , battery pack and Alexa Auto are all Velcro'ed to the sides. I closed the console and Auto does hear my commands when driving with music on. So looks like location is okay.

Attachments

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looks like you've come up with the winner for the hookup. As long as it has power, can access your phone and car and it can hear you, that should be all it needs. They tout its 8 microphones and listening, but I'm very impressed that it can hear you with the lid closed. They should have optimized it for the car and with other noise like music, but very surprised it also still hears in the console. Thanks for this feedback.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am having issues establishing a bluetooth connection after I leave the car. The car sees my phone but will not connect with the Echo. Any thoughts?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If any of you all want to put a word in with Amazon that I'm waiting impatiently for my name to pop up on their list please do so. I signed up about a year ago, or whenever it was first mentioned last year.

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
If any of you all want to put a word in with Amazon that I'm waiting impatiently for my name to pop up on their list please do so. I signed up about a year ago, or whenever it was first mentioned last year.
Me too signed up the day they announced (and after having tried the awful Garmin Speak). I have 14 Alexa's on my account, I feel like I'm qualified :-/

Bria

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@lawnmore

I installed mine using the included mount by placing/sticking it under the phone charging door (upside down). It sticks nicely to the underside since it is smooth plastic. Works perfectly and is completely out of the way and out of sight. It works as any other Alexa device and can control anything your home Alexa’s can.