Airbag system needs service

Rhaekar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a new alert pop up on the UI today. "Airbag System Needs Service"

I called the SC and they scheduled me in for next week. They said most likely it's just a faulty sensor and it's safe to drive but it'll probably take the day. Hopefully I get an X as a loaner so I can try and convince the wife to trade in her ICE.

The annoying part is the alert covers up the open trunk button so I can't open the trunk from the UI anymore.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country

I called the SC and they scheduled me in for next week. They said most likely it's just a faulty sensor and it's safe to drive but it'll probably take the day. Hopefully I get an X as a loaner so I can try and convince the wife to trade in her ICE.

The annoying part is the alert covers up the open trunk button so I can't open the trunk from the UI anymore.
Make sure you call service to CONFIRM that you will have a Tesla loaner. There are not enough Tesla loaners and you likely won’t get one unless it’s specifically reserved for you in advance.
Yup, when my charge poor door needed to be replaced same size and location. Just a bad spot for an error message. It also covers visual of hazards around the car a bit.
DEFINITELY bug report the location of the alerts. The software guys should be able to easily relocate the pop ups so that it doesn’t inhibit unrelated functionality.

Rhaekar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Make sure you call service to CONFIRM that you will have a Tesla loaner. There are not enough Tesla loaners and you likely won’t get one unless it’s specifically reserved for you in advance.
Isn't it on a first come first serve basis? I didn't think you could specially request a Tesla loaner.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Isn't it on a first come first serve basis? I didn't think you could specially request a Tesla loaner.
You can request one and they'll try but it's no guarantee (because of course we all want a Tesla loaner).

In my experience, going to an appt. earlier in the day (right when they open) is usually the best bet to snag Tesla loaner.

Rhaekar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can request one and they'll try but it's no guarantee (because of course we all want a Tesla loaner).

In my experience, going to an appt. earlier in the day (right when they open) is usually the best bet to snag Tesla loaner.
I was planning on dropping it off at 4:30 hopefully people returned their loaners earlier on in the day. Maybe I'll change it to the morning.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The alert is over where the Open button would be for the trunk.
It shouldn’t. The trunk button will show up to the right of the car when you are in PARK.

I have a faulty charge port door error on my screen all the time and the trunk button moves to the right. Try checking it out next time you get in the car.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

I had the exact same error Tuesday. The SC was on my way home so I stopped in. They recommended I leave my car since it’s a safety issue. I was told my error was caused by the seat belt retracto (see attached invoice). Parts has to come out of Fremont and won’t be here until next week. I had to pick up my M3 because needed it weekend. I’ll take it in when parts are in.

Yes, I also hate the open trunk button is covered by the warning that cannot be dismissed. Hopefully this will be fixed by the time most owners get their car. I did call in a bug report about this.

NOTE: there’s a recall on the front stabilizer bar link. (See invoice)

They ran out of Tesla loaners so I got a Mercedes C300. I think this car starts at $40k. After driving the M3 for over 2 month, IMO, there is absolutely no comparison. I know I have the premium package and the LR battery, but I’m talking about the way both cars drove, the brakes, the acceleration and the handling, all of which should be at the heart of even the base $35k model. Also going back to an ICE car, you really notice how noisy they are and the horrible acceleration lag after hitting the throttle.

Attachments

Last edited:

RICK M

It shouldn’t. The trunk button will show up to the right of the car when you are in PARK.

I have a faulty charge port door error on my screen all the time and the trunk button moves to the right. Try checking it out next time you get in the car.
Hi to all ! I'm seeing numerous issues being reported on the Model 3. I received my invitation last Saturday to configure, however I hit the " keep my place" button. I'm reconsidering buying a used Model S. More car for less $.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi to all ! I'm seeing numerous issues being reported on the Model 3. I received my invitation last Saturday to configure, however I hit the " keep my place" button. I'm reconsidering buying a used Model S. More car for less $.
It depends how you define “more”.

It will be bigger and have more storage, but it will likely be slower and have less range.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The issues are really not so bad. I think most issues that have been said/reported do not hinder the cars drivability. Most seem to be cosmetic. Just give the car a good once over before you take delivery and once afterwards. I think some have taken it to a professional for final inspection. No idea how that works.

Any car may have its little faults here and there. Personally, My car has some issues, but there is nothing so bad that makes me think my choice to buy was wrong. Hands down one of the best cars I’ve had. (I’ve owned 9 cars ranging from Ford to Porsche. Driven TONs of others.)

One of the biggest advantages is the car is always changing for the better. Some of the things I had issues In the early days of ownership were fixed via software updates. So take reported issues with a grain of salt. Also Tesla’s willingness to fix things is a huge plus. They NEED the Model 3 to be a success, it’s part of Elon’s mission. So they have incentive to make sure every owner is completely satisfied.

If you’re unable to put up with anything less than perfection, it might be better to wait until they get through “production hell”. Most of us early adopters expect some issues, but we go in with the full understanding that Tesla will make it right if there are any. Big reason why they sold to prior owners first. Things are getting better. This car is my first Tesla and I’m super happy with it!

But it’s your money, your choice. Whatever you go with I’m sure you’ll be happy. Just understand a older used Tesla probably will have less bells/whistles/mileage capability than a Premium Upgrade Package equipped Long Range Model 3.

Last edited:

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
True, this car has issues, but I agree with @Spiffywerks, most are cosmetic or minor issues. Of course buying a used S is also a good choice as it’s already had its “shakedown” but as mentioned previously, there are trade-offs.

Speaking as one who has owned the Model 3 for over six months though, most of our issues has been software-related and fixed with an update, and some cosmetic issues (paint, alignment, early parts). Of course there are folks that have serious mechanical and electrical failures, and those are the ones that really suck, but it’s not every car.

IMO just the “car” itself has always performed perfectly, but it’s all the extra fancy bells and whistles in the tech that tends to have issues (auto wipers, auto dimming mirrors, saved driver profiles, saved mirror positions, Bluetooth connectivity, just to name a few).

Rhaekar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Damn, they ran out of Teslas and gave me a Chrysler 300. It's quite a boat of a car. I'm hating every minute of it. At least they said if they need the car over the weekend they may be able to get me a Tesla on Friday.