Air Conditioner Glass Cracking Sound

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi All,

Have any of you experienced an issue when you turn on the A/C, and from the driver's front side interior, it sounds like glass cracking?

Almost the same kind of sound as if a pebble hit the front windshield while driving down the road

This will go on for about 5-10 minutes with a "pebble sound" every 30 seconds or so.

After about 10 minutes, the sound goes away completely

TIA!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi All,

Have any of you experienced an issue when you turn on the A/C, and from the driver's front side interior, it sounds like glass cracking?

Almost the same kind of sound as if a pebble hit the front windshield while driving down the road

This will go on for about 5-10 minutes with a "pebble sound" every 30 seconds or so.

After about 10 minutes, the sound goes away completely

TIA!
Yes. Had it happen this past week. 2 days in row. Each time in the afternoon when I was on my way home when leaving work. Thought it was a rock that hit my planner side window but was only going 10 mph. Each day it only did it twice. Don't remember if I had HVAC running. Thought it might be sure to the car frame adjusting like when your house makes noises due to settling. But this noise was very distinct and did sound like glass cracking or a rock hitting the passengers side door window.

BTW I've owned the car for 6 months and have 7k miles and had never happened before.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I park my car outdoor under the sunlight and then turn on AC, there are "clicking" noises from the dashboard.
And when the inside of car becomes cool, about 10 minutes after turn on AC, the noises disappear.

I think the problem is caused by the Expansion/Contraction of the dashboard.
So I removed the dashboard (the part with wood), and the problem indeed disappeared.

The dashboard actually consists of two pieces of plastic, and they are melted together by some mounting points.
one plastic is closer to the air vent, another one is farther and covered by wood.
Therefore, the former plastic will Expand/Contract faster than another one, and cause the clicking noise.

Did anyone else have this problem? any good fixes?
I plan to apply some "strong" adhesives between these two plastics, not sure whether it can help or not.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I initially had the problem in my dash. Tesla put some foam tape in and it helped but didn't eliminate the problem entirely. For me it only occurred in cold weather. On hot days I get popping in the roof - both front and back. This happens for awhile till the interior temperature stabilizes. It can be quite annoying. I have't done anything about this. I keep hoping it will work itself out. All of this is on my AWD. The RWD was received about two months later than the AWD and has been rock solid with none of the popping noise issues.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I park my car outdoor under the sunlight and then turn on AC, there are "clicking" noises from the dashboard.
Welcome to the forum! :)

I get some rattling of the dashboard when driving (not associated with hot or cold weather). "Pushing" on the dash seems to temporarily solve it.

One of these days, I'm probably going to try removing the dash strip and adding some felt tape to see if I can tighten it up to prevent this from happening.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I try the following solutions, but most of them cannot help.

The failed attempts:

1. some "strong" adhesives between these two plastics, didn't help
2. add felts to the back of dashboard (the upper one), didn't help

finally, I resolve this by:
1. pull out all metal clips in the dashboard
2. apply some felt tapes to the hole of clips
3. push the clips back, now the clips will be much tighter and silent when Expansion/Contraction.

The clicking noise almost disappears now.

Darrenf

This happens to my wife’s car. She’s has a service appointment scheduled for it, but we are going to have to postpone because now it’s going in for ceramic coating when her service appointment is scheduled.