Ahead of delivery, what’s your situation on current car?

Where do you stand going into Model 3?

• I’m ready when Tesla is (extra car)

Votes: 94 22.9%
  • My loan is upside down (roll that negative equity over)

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • My loan is upside down but it’s close (a few more months should get me there)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • My loan has positive equity (bring on Model 3!)

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • My lease is up soon and I’m freaking out

Votes: 32 7.8%
  • My lease isn’t up for a while and I need to figure things out

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • All cash all the time

Votes: 73 17.8%
  • My car is paid off (or will be) and it’s my down payment

Votes: 141 34.3%
  • This is my first car!

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Not my first car, but first car in a while (recently dependent on mass transit)

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While for some this will be a second (if not more) car, but I suspect the vast majority, like me, will get rid of their current daily driver and replace it with Model 3.

For me the good news is that I finally have some positive equity (about $1,200) and that will only stand to get better with the car still a few months away.

So where do you stand?

Chihuahua

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I drive a 10 year old Prius. Over the course of owning it, I have only changed the tires and oil. No major repairs. My biggest concern is that something major breaks in the next 3-6 months waiting for my model 3 replacement. It can't come soon enough! These production bottlenecks are tempting fate!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I thoigh this question was going to be about the state of repair, to which I would have replied "awful". Found out a couple days ago that the roof leaks which were supposedly fixed a couple weeks ago are back, and today on the way to work I couldn't get it into any gear but 4th. Which, for city driving, in a hybrid whose battery pack is dead... (hope I didn't burn out the clutch getting it to a garage...)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thoigh this question was going to be about the state of repair, to which I would have replied "awful". Found out a couple days ago that the roof leaks which were supposedly fixed a couple weeks ago are back, and today on the way to work I couldn't get it into any gear but 4th. Which, for city driving, in a hybrid whose battery pack is dead... (hope I didn't burn out the clutch getting it to a garage...)
Ouch!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While for some this will be a second (if not more) car, but I suspect the vast majority, like me, will get rid of their current daily driver and replace it with Model 3.

For me the good news is that I finally have some positive equity (about $1,200) and that will only stand to get better with the car still a few months away.

So where do you stand?
I think you forgot the likely “car is paid off” option and will sell/trade in. Not everyone is always in debt or pay up front in cash. There is somewhere in betweeen ;)

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you forgot the likely “car is paid off” option and will sell/trade in. Not everyone is always in debt or pay up front in cash. There is somewhere in betweeen ;)
Yup. I bought my car 3 years ago with the plan for it to be paid off around the release of the Model 3. Paid it off a few months ago...now we wait.

DinosM

Country
Country
BMW i3 lease end on 10/31/2017, called BMW FInancial and they extended it for 2 months now due 12/31/2017, they will not extend it anymore without a BMW production number.
My reservation shows 01/01/2018-03/31/2017, so potentially 3 months without a car, not sure what I am going to do, maybe share one car with the wife. Hoping the figure out the production bottleneck and we get it earlier.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
BMW i3 lease end on 10/31/2017, called BMW FInancial and they extended it for 2 months now due 12/31/2017, they will not extend it anymore without a BMW production number.
My reservation shows 01/01/2018-03/31/2017, so potentially 3 months without a car, not sure what I am going to do, maybe share one car with the wife. Hoping the figure out the production bottleneck and we get it earlier.
Straight from EM, plan for the worst...

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a 2012 Sonata that I bought for cash. Transmission was intermittently acting up so I traded it while the car was operational for a 2017 Leaf lease. Didn't want to dump a bunch of money into the car or even get into trying to diagnose intermittent issue. We need a second car anyway so this will get us by til then. Pretty sweet if you ask me. Spent $67 on 5000km of driving so far (500KW of electricity and some free public charging) . $80 a month lease.

FunkyJunk

Country
Country
I'm in a unique situation, I suspect. I'm trading in my old car, and I've already given it to Tesla. The value of the car will be subtracted from the cost of my Model 3 when I take delivery. (I'm one of the employee purchasers and I'm hoping that delivery is imminent.) The reason I already traded it in to Tesla is that I completed the trade-in valuation assessment some weeks ago and their offer is only good for 30 days. I didn't want to have to go through the process again, so I handed over the keys early. (I have another vehicle to drive.)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
why does she always get the hand-me-downs? maybe you should keep the Model 3 and buy her the P90D
This will actually be the first time that she gets the hand-me-down. She's gotten the new car first _every_ _time_ until the Leaf. And we bought her Honda minivan new, because she wanted a Honda.

Mjp462

Country
Country
My 500e lease is up at the end of this month. When I leased the Fiat in 2014 I figured my Model 3 would be waiting for me when the lease was over. I was wrong by a few months. :(
It is going to be rough but my wife and I will be sharing 1 car until the Model 3 arrives. I can't see a better solution.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, we're in exactly the same boat with the same car and same lease end date. I'm considering leasing a leaf for another 2-3 years, save a bunch of money and see what's available then. Or, perhaps buy a used Leaf for <$10K, and either sell it when the Model 3 is actually available or use it as a battery backup for the house! :tongueout: