Aftermarket wheel center caps and lug nuts?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
I got these chrome ones on eBay and the insides are so poorly finished that they all sit at different heights.
I just wanted them to be flush like the Tesla ones seem to be.
I'd contact the seller. I've sold a few dozen and had no issues with fit finish and quality. They're made in italy so you'd expect a fair amount of quality from them even given the price.

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd contact the seller. I've sold a few dozen and had no issues with fit finish and quality. They're made in italy so you'd expect a fair amount of quality from them even given the price.
I don’t know if it’s me being too OCD so I don’t know if it’s just this batch or they would all be similar,
About 5 of them fit flush and the rest all stick out varying by a few mm.
I had a Model S loaner and every one of them were flush so that’s really all I had to compare them to.

Triangles

Country
Country
I Got these Gorilla lug nuts from amazon. I had some strange noises coming from one front wheel while turning. See video below.
Amazon product
I thought I might have a defective wheel bearing or something. The SC helped me troubleshoot it to the aftermarket lug nuts. I put the factory nuts back on and torqued to the 129 ft-lb spec and all was good. Also I was able to make it stop on the Gorilla lug nuts if I torqued the lug nuts a couple grunts past 129 ft-lbs I'm guessing 140 ish ft-lbs. Below are what the mating surface of the lug nuts looked like after I took them off. Apparently not as much of the surface area was in contact as I would have thought.

Putting this out there for anyone else using these lug nuts that notices this noise so they know what is causing it.

Last edited:

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
I Got these Gorilla lug nuts from amazon. I had some strange noises coming from one front wheel while turning. See video below.
Amazon product
I thought I might have a defective wheel bearing or something. The SC helped me troubleshoot it to the aftermarket lug nuts. I put the factory nuts back on and torqued to the 129 ft-lb spec and all was good. Also I was able to make it stop if I torqued the lug nuts a couple grunts past 129 ft-lbs I'm guessing 140 ish ft-lbs. Below are what the mating surface of the lug nuts looked like after I took them off. Apparently not as much of the surface area was in contact as I would have thought.

Putting this out there for anyone else using these lug nuts that notices this noise so they know what is causing it.
I haven't heard about the noise issue but they usually don't fit if you try to run aftermarket wheels. You're better off going with chrome caps and the stock lug nuts instead of these lugs. they do look nice but they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

Triangles

Country
Country
I'm confused. EVTuning are you saying the Gorilla nuts don't usually fit aftermarket wheels? Not sure how that relevant as I'm using the OE wheels. The 60 degree cone area is the only part of the Gorilla nut in contact with the mating surface of the wheel so there is no issue with "fit." I'm guessing that the soft zinc coating on the factory nuts is more forgiving to slight manufacturing imperfections than the hard chrome on the Gorilla nuts. IMHO the plastic covers on the nuts looks chintzy. To me it's like putting lipstick on a pig. I'm happy with Gorilla nuts. They just need a little extra torque to avoid what you hear in my video above.

As a side note: EVTuning I am happy to see some aftermarket support and the aftermarket options available from you. Although I will admit that the couple items for the TM3 that I might consider buying from you was priced several times more than what I would be willing to pay. I am a cheap bastard though and hopefully others are not so you can grow and offer more products.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Does anyone have a photo of the Gorilla lug nuts with the TST aftermarket wheels. I purchased the Gorilla lug nuts since I didn't want black covers with chrome wheels. It looks like the Gorilla nuts will stick out a lot more than the OEM lug nuts with covers.
I also bought some lug nut covers on Amazon, just in case. They were chrome and cost $12 instead of $50.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Which wheel cap kit to choose? The quadrate wheel caps or the round one better?
1573027341443-png.30380