Aftermarket Tesla Model 3 Wheels and Tires

FlyNavy01

Country
Country
This is correct.
We've found that 5 mm is no problem whatsoever on the P3D w/PUO as that's exactly the amount of extra stud length made available by the thinner rotor (and thus why these cars have a 5 mm lower offset). In tests we've done here with our own wheels we've also found that a 5 mm conventional spacer will work on on a non-PUO car, however it's right at the limit. It will come down to the seat thickness of the wheel you're using.
View attachment 29340
In the aftermarket, when it comes to 60 degree conical seat applications most wheel manufacturers spec a seat thickness anywhere from 7.0 mm to 10.0 mm. Our passenger cars wheels are almost all 7.0 mm to 8.0 mm, so an 8.0 mm installed on a standard Model 3 with a 26 mm long stud length there remains a theoretical 18 mm of stud to engage and that's proven sufficient to permit of to a 5 mm spacer. In practice the actual engagement varies a bit depending on two further factors, the exact diameter of the lug hole (which will determine how far in a given lug nut will sit) and also the internal engament point of the nut being used, which is usually 1 mm to 3 mm below the hole opening.
But due to all the variables described above, for a 14 mm diameter lug it's important to ensure a minimum of 7.5 - 8.0 full turns when torqued.

EDIT: diagram added for clarity
Supremely informative post! I'm curious if you're aware of anywhere to get extended wheel studs for the Model 3? I've searched with inconclusive results, but admittedly have no experience with ARP or any other wheel stud brand. If the stock studs were just 5mm longer they'd be perfect! The only option I've found is ordering custom titanium studs (and therefore lugs), which would be silly and expensive just to get an extra 5-10mm of thread length.

The reason I ask is I just upgraded to Mountain Pass rotors on my P3D+ and the aluminum rotor hat is 5mm thicker than the super thin stock steel hats, meaning I just lost ~4 turns of thread engagement and I'm now between 6.5-7 turns when torqued down, which makes me slightly nervous. I also just got in a set of forged wheels for the track that appear to have a similar seat thickness (10mm) as my current street wheels, which means I will likely run into the same problem with them. I'm even more apprehensive about that considering I will be mounting some Pirelli Trofeo R tires on them which will likely produce much higher loads in cornering.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
UPDATE:
No need to respond @Mad Hungarian. Got in touch with CanadaWheels and they asked me to ship back the wheels and they'll send a new one, for my peace of mind :)
---------------------------------------------
@Mad Hungarian New LR-AWD-P owner in the forum but long time Replika customer here. I got my shipment of 19" R187 from CanadaWheels (in Ottawa) and discovered that one of them had this minor defect (pictured). I worry about salt corrosion during winter that will originate from this exposed section. Is a touch-up kit sufficient to keep this defect from getting worse? I asked the seller to send a paint touch-up kit but their response is "my issue was referred to their warehouse and awaiting their recommendations".

View attachment 29733
So sorry I haven’t replied, in Europe on biz trip at the moment.
Looks like impact in shipping, glad to hear it’s already being looked after!

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Supremely informative post! I'm curious if you're aware of anywhere to get extended wheel studs for the Model 3? I've searched with inconclusive results, but admittedly have no experience with ARP or any other wheel stud brand. If the stock studs were just 5mm longer they'd be perfect! The only option I've found is ordering custom titanium studs (and therefore lugs), which would be silly and expensive just to get an extra 5-10mm of thread length.

The reason I ask is I just upgraded to Mountain Pass rotors on my P3D+ and the aluminum rotor hat is 5mm thicker than the super thin stock steel hats, meaning I just lost ~4 turns of thread engagement and I'm now between 6.5-7 turns when torqued down, which makes me slightly nervous. I also just got in a set of forged wheels for the track that appear to have a similar seat thickness (10mm) as my current street wheels, which means I will likely run into the same problem with them. I'm even more apprehensive about that considering I will be mounting some Pirelli Trofeo R tires on them which will likely produce much higher loads in cornering.
Hmmm, I’d have to have a look around and see if anyone has the right specs.
I’m traveling at the moment but will be back in my office next week and I’ll see if can locate some.

FlyNavy01

Country
Country
Hmmm, I’d have to have a look around and see if anyone has the right specs.
I’m traveling at the moment but will be back in my office next week and I’ll see if can locate some.
Thank you! I saw your tweets at Stelvio Pass and I'm jealous! I'd love to rip our P3D's through there.

I ran a test fit of my track wheel/tire setup yesterday and got about 7.4 turns so it's right at the limit, but more than I expected. Still at 6.5 on my flow forged street setup. I may have found a solution after inspecting my lug nuts thanks to your insight. They appear to have a 2-3mm lip before the threads start, which should hopefully give me 2 more turns if I can grind them down. I'll give it a go on the bench grinder and see if it's worth the hassle, or just find another set which have closer-to-the-edge threads.

Photo for clarity:
img_7593-jpg.29834

Justmurr

Country
Country
I just replaced my original tires (primacy) with the same Michelin crossClimate...they do look beefy on my aero rims (no cover). Initial impressions are that the high ratings are appropriate. Can’t wait for some weather to test them out more.

After 35k on the OEMs even a light rain caused issues...they were toast.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just replaced my original tires (primacy) with the same Michelin crossClimate...they do look beefy on my aero rims (no cover). Initial impressions are that the high ratings are appropriate. Can’t wait for some weather to test them out more.

After 35k on the OEMs even a light rain caused issues...they were toast.
Not sure of your intended reply, post about has Pilot Sport 4S tires....

That's pretty impressive for OEM spec tires that only started at 8/32nds, but you must drive like a saint ;).

I have a LR RWD as well with just under 13k mi. and mine are already loosing grip dry or wet. Rotated them for the second time this weekend and they are all reading between 4 to 5 32nds. If I'm lucky they'll make it to 20k. :cool:

Gator Rican

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Not sure of your intended reply, post about has Pilot Sport 4S tires....

That's pretty impressive for OEM spec tires that only started at 8/32nds, but you must drive like a saint ;).

I have a LR RWD as well with just under 13k mi. and mine are already loosing grip dry or wet. Rotated them for the second time this weekend and they are all reading between 4 to 5 32nds. If I'm lucky they'll make it to 20k. :cool:
I'm at 14k w/ OEM's 18's on my mid-range. Which tires would be better when these are replaced? Considerations are durability/noise/performance. In other words, what's better than OEM 18" tires? I'm in Florida so no snow/winter considerations needed.

Mad Hungarian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm at 14k w/ OEM's 18's on my mid-range. Which tires would be better when these are replaced? Considerations are durability/noise/performance. In other words, what's better than OEM 18" tires? I'm in Florida so no snow/winter considerations needed.
We actually have a dedicated thread going on this exact subject, lots of good info and recommendations there.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are these the FC01’s? What size (specs) rims and what tires?
Those are FC04's.

https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=fc04&fn=matte+bronze

After MUCH going back and forth, I went ahead with an order from CanadaWheels. Fast Wheels FC04 18x9 +30 in bronze. I'll likely use a 5mm spacer on rear to even out the flushness, so I added a note asking for a hub ring to 64.1mm since the lip will no longer be an issue. I never got any real info on how the 18x9's compare to OEM 20's, but between wheel size and harder tires, I hope to see some lower Wh/mi. Maybe I'll be able to get some info that can be helpful to others for later. I also haven't seen the 18x9's on a lowered 3 nor any bronze. FIRST!!!

I'll be using 235/45/18 Michelin CrossClimate tires. Basically the highest rated all season tire I'm finding and can handle more snow than Oklahoma will ever get. We've had unusually warm winters lately, so we're due for a good snow. Don't want to be on the summer tires when it happens.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Jongaud

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wondering if the r241 is as dark as the original Model 3 aerowheel (without cover) ?
Would love to see a picture of gray r241 on a Silver Model 3...