Aftermarket Tesla Model 3 Wheels and Tires

804son

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK @804son now that we're here, my estimate on this would be you'd lose at least something in the 5% range or possibly a bit more, depending on which specific tire you choose for the larger size. As I mentioned I have this size myself, and I'm going to be running a whole slew of energy consumption tests next week for our new Aero wheel program, so while at the track I'm going to see if I can squeeze in some comparisons of the 235/45R18 vs 255/40R18 on my car. Stay tuned...
Thank you so much for helping direct my post to the right place and for the information, I really appreciate it.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh dont you have FC04 in 18x9 on a Performance 3? Just wanted to see if there are any figment issues even though the 18x8.5” does show to fit. Kinda surprised I haven’t seen more 18x9 of these wheels.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh dont you have FC04 in 18x9 on a Performance 3? Just wanted to see if there are any figment issues even though the 18x8.5” does show to fit. Kinda surprised I haven’t seen more 18x9 of these wheels.
I have them in 18x8 (for winter tires).
@Mad Hungarian has them in 18x9
Both vehicles are Performance.
No issues.

rsr.m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got 'em, weights for R241 are as follows:

18x8.5: 21.3 lbs
19x8.5: 23.8 lbs
20x8.5: 26.0 lbs

Note these are the projected final values, but we expect the production units should be within a few ounces of that.
Any plans of making a wider R241 at any point? 9.5 or 10?

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian did you ever post anything about efficiency with your 255's on the FC04 vs stock 20's? I was hoping you would have addressed a comparison of stock 20's, your 255's, and the EV01 in your track test. Any insight on comparing stock 20's vs the wider 18's?

There is definitely voodoo between how much tire compound, section width, wheel diameter, wheel weight, and aerodynamics all factor in. Obviously, a hard high-silica skinny tire on a small lightweight pizza pan faced wheel is ideal. Speaking of, I still want to see a test of BMW i3 19's on a Model 3. It will work with a 30mm adapter/spacer.

edit: BTW, Replika is missing the boat. Make Tesla 18" wheel replicas that fit the P3D. Even better if you would drop the offset to +25. Make it such that the OEM covers can attach. You would get regular owners that don't want spacers, and you'd get P owners. Then make a variety of wheel covers that fit the OEM or Replika wheel.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
edit: BTW, Replika is missing the boat. Make Tesla 18" wheel replicas that fit the P3D. Even better if you would drop the offset to +25. Make it such that the OEM covers can attach. You would get regular owners that don't want spacers, and you'd get P owners. Then make a variety of wheel covers that fit the OEM or Replika wheel.
I disagree. I'd rather have the new FastWheel EV01s and make my car a little unique compared to all of the base models with OEM Aero wheels.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh Preferring the EV01 is not mutually exclusive to having 1) 18" replicas that fit P's or 2) other aero cover designs that also attach to the OEM 18's or 3) alternate wheel designs that the OEM aero covers would attach to.

This is all an aside to what I am trying to find out about efficiency difference with the 18" FC04 vs. the OEM 20's. No need to go down to 18's if it isn't going to be an improvement.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh Preferring the EV01 is not mutually exclusive to having 1) 18" replicas that fit P's or 2) other aero cover designs that also attach to the OEM 18's or 3) alternate wheel designs that the OEM aero covers would attach to.
Keep in mind that the EV01 was designed to fit all sorts of cars, not just Model 3s. The suggestions that you are providing would only be applicable to a subset of Tesla Model 3s. The addressable market for such a design is probably too small for FastWheels to consider.

If you want to put 18" Aeros on a P, the easy solution is to use a 5mm spacer. This avoids having to add lip-clearance to the wheel, and it makes the final stance identical to that of a non-performance car (which have a 5mm-thicker rotor hat).
EDIT: Gah, I'm not thinking clearly. I forgot about the rear brake caliper clearance issue with the OEM aeros. Nevermind.

Last edited: