How-To aftermarket sound system info thread

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

villho

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'll have a mobile service scheduled on 6th of July and like I mentioned the service plan includes replacing the amp and the overhead control panel next to the rearview mirror. I'll give an update after that, if this resolves my problem. I'm not sure, if the service plan is set this way because Tesla knows that "yes, this will help" or if it was because I gave them a link in my service request to teslamotorsclub forum, because the symptoms in the TMC thread were the same: rear speakers and the sub are dead and the microphone does not work. In that thread one got the error after a service visit and for the other the error came when a water leak from the rear window fried the amp. First got new HW3, OHC and amp, and for the other just the amp got replaced.

In any case, replacing the whole HW3 computer sounds a very extreme measure. What's the quote for parts/labour you got from Tesla for this? I'm imaging M3's which have gone out of their warranty, where some random thing stops the rear audio from working and the whole computer needs replacing...

I would assume that Tesla could run diagnostics/reset things/update the firmware that could get the audio back working (similar to resetting DTCs in a normal car).

Cookiebob

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'll have a mobile service scheduled on 6th of July and like I mentioned the service plan includes replacing the amp and the overhead control panel next to the rearview mirror. I'll give an update after that, if this resolves my problem. I'm not sure, if the service plan is set this way because Tesla knows that "yes, this will help" or if it was because I gave them a link in my service request to teslamotorsclub forum, because the symptoms in the TMC thread were the same: rear speakers and the sub are dead and the microphone does not work. In that thread one got the error after a service visit and for the other the error came when a water leak from the rear window fried the amp. First got new HW3, OHC and amp, and for the other just the amp got replaced.

In any case, replacing the whole HW3 computer sounds a very extreme measure. What's the quote for parts/labour you got from Tesla for this? I'm imaging M3's which have gone out of their warranty, where some random thing stops the rear audio from working and the whole computer needs replacing...

I would assume that Tesla could run diagnostics/reset things/update the firmware that could get the audio back working (similar to resetting DTCs in a normal car).
Interesting. Yeah sounds like we found the same resources. I’m looking forward to following your progress. Tesla didn’t quote me parts and labor yet. Until then I’m jealous of everyone’s sound systems on this thread that we hijacked. :p

Last edited:

R1Fast

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks @RoccoX. I have been thinking about the LC2i GTO (sense) option as well. Unfortunately this doesn't help with the radar or laser staying on all night though.

If Tesla doesn't fix this soon I've been pondering putting a solid state relay on the Ambient Lighting circuit. I know the ambient lights go out when you leave the car, but I kind of doubt they're on during the day.
Have you guys found a reasonable workaround to this issue yet? Also have any of you filed a bug via the car console and/or has Tesla acknowledged the issue? Disregard just found this thread - getting caught up now.

My 3 has been sitting in the garage 95% of the time since Feb due to Co-Vid and working remotely. TBH I just noticed this issue about 2 weeks ago w/the last update. I originally installed a circuit breaker with build - so more a minor inconvenience than anything since I can use that as a kill-switch and hardly drive these days anyway. Will probably become much more of a headache when things go back to 'normal' and start commuting again.

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would like to ask the folks in this thread... you might have seen my server and display by now... I am thinking of making an accessory board with a 5A 12v switched relay which could be triggered by a CAN message etc...
..In other words, a relay that turns off your 12v accessories as soon as you exit the car.
I'm already doing this with my displays so they don't burn in or gather attention
Would folks be interested in that?

R1Fast

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would like to ask the folks in this thread... you might have seen my server and display by now... I am thinking of making an accessory board with a 5A 12v switched relay which could be triggered by a CAN message etc...
..In other words, a relay that turns off your 12v accessories as soon as you exit the car.
I'm already doing this with my displays so they don't burn in or gather attention
I would be for sure @JWardell - even in the unlikely event Tesla fixes switching VC_left, chances are it will get bunged again in another update down the road. It would be good to have a hardware override like this to put the issue to bed for good.

Happy to beta test for you if needed as well! ;)

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’d be game.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
OK, Ill keep you guys posted, hoping to redesign and order more boards in the next few weeks. Will probably still just plug into the display.

eXntrc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I solved my problem with the small brown wire going to the arm rest light. I used a cheap ($12) solid state relay (instructions here). So I'm good for now, unless Tesla decides to start leaving interior lighting on when no one is in the vehicle.

But I'm interested in more information a future proof solution. Is there another thread to follow for progress?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I stop taking this thread sidetracked (last message from me to this), but will want to follow through the OEM amp problem that I had similar to @Cookiebob

Mobile service came over today. They changed the amp (no sound), they changed the OHC panel (no sound), then they ran some test program and also updated the firmware and then the rear speakers and the sub started to work. @Cookiebob, maybe worthwhile to ask them to do the same for your car, before you pay for HW3 replacement (which probably is not cheap).