Aftermarket hitch now available

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

Truav8r

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So that takes care of the hitch, but what is needed to finish off the wiring if you want that? Sandy Munro’s tear down clearly showed the wiring harness is in place near the back left bumper. Is there a Tesla part available that connects to that harness to provide the 7pin or 4pin trailer plug?

Truav8r

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That’s a “universal” hitch wiring, as a matter of fact I’ve installed that very same Tekonsha harness on my Mazda CX-5. (It clamps around the various wires for brake, turn signals, etc) But what I’m looking for is whatever wiring harness is meant to connect to the factory pigtail that is in the driver side rear bumper area that Sandy showed in his tear down. Could this Tekonsha unit work on the MY? Sure. But it’s not a factory solution.

Speaking of... if you order the MY trailer package, does that include the wiring ending in a 7 (or 4) pin plug?? If so, that’s what I’m wondering if it’s possible to hook up when going with an aftermarket hitch. Basically, the prime solution in my mind is aftermarket hitch (so it’s a Class III instead of the factory’s Class II, not to mention it’s cheaper) but go with whatever “factory” wiring Tesla would install if you did buy the hitch package direct from them.

Reactions: 1 person

TLee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Just installed the hitch from Torkliftcentral. Here's some photos. If you plan to do it yourself, hope you have some good mechanical skills.
fullsizeoutput_6479.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_647f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6482.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6478.jpeg

Yanquetino

Nice! And costs a lot less that including a hitch from the factory. I was curious about the difference between the EcoHitches for the 3 and the Y. I can now see that the Y's hitch has a horizontal opening behind the cover plate for the receiver bar, but the 3 has a vertical opening above its cover for a receiver bar with a 90° angle. The larger height of the Y is more accommodating, but both solutions work. I wonder if it's easier to attach safety chains on the model for the Y; it's barely doable for the 3.

17_lg.jpg

Reactions: TrevP and mrau

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Adding a Stealth Hitch, made just up the road. Best design I have found. The only issue is you have to replace the fascia with the 2020 trap door design as mine is a 2018. If you want the cleanest install. Has anybody seen a black paint that will match the fascia for a Tesla? $161 direct from Tesla service center and they had it is stock!

Stealth Hitch
6537B490-D447-4B91-BE7E-FA71BA302576.jpeg
257A67AC-22DE-4421-AC67-4C33B3E0A10E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TrevP

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a 2019 Model 3, they started adding the door for European cars around March of April of that year so I got lucky. Installing the hitch is easy and having the built in door is a bonus.
However, given my car is lowered I had to add a 4” hitch riser to ensure it wouldn’t scrape on the ground when I go over bumps or angled driveways.