Aero Wheels Protection

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So my biggest concern with the aero wheels is how easily they pop off. I am curious if anyone has had an issue with the covers themselves being stolen (I have no idea why someone would want a cover) and if there is anyway to protect them. Obviously you could pop them off everytime you plan on being parked for a while and put them in your trunk but that would get pretty tedious. Would like to come up with a sleek and effective option to protect the covers from being stolen. Let me know your thoughts!

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So my biggest concern with the aero wheels is how easily they pop off. I am curious if anyone has had an issue with the covers themselves being stolen (I have no idea why someone would want a cover) and if there is anyway to protect them. Obviously you could pop them off everytime you plan on being parked for a while and put them in your trunk but that would get pretty tedious. Would like to come up with a sleek and effective option to protect the covers from being stolen. Let me know your thoughts!
They're pretty easy to pop on/off once you've done it a few times, and sadly if any jerk wanted to steal the caps, it's not that hard to do. If said thief has never removed an aero wheel, they'd probably fumble around at first, but once they know how, they can grab and go quickly.

Removing them and putting them back on every time you park in public would be a pain to do mostly because you'll get your hands very dirty- and it's kinda loud. They make "pop! click" sounds as the clips slide into place, which would probably draw more attention than you wanted. I imagine some kid going "hey mister, why are you banging on your wheels?" :)

The way they are designed to clip on/off the spokes of the rims, I'm not sure you can secure the aero covers without compromising the safety or aerodynamics of the car, so really I wouldn't worry about them. Sucks if they are stolen, but maybe buy another set when Tesla has them so you have spares.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don’t have my model 3 yet but this has been a question I’ve had since day 1. I don’t really plan on using the aero Wheels unless I’m going on a long trip or if I’m doing some freeway/highway driving that day. So I don’t see someone steeling them being a major concern. But I know that as I shift from being a college student to actually using my degree to enter the work force I will probably be using the highway more on my commute to work. So maybe I’m the future I will be more concerned with the security of the caps as that approaches, since I’ll be commuting to downtown salt lake. Thanks for your input!