Advanced (better known as ‘Enhanced’) Auto Pilot

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

George K

Country
Country
Does anyone know what you get if you do not get the $5000. "Advanced Auto Pilot" ? Is there standard auto pilot without all the advanced features, just a basic adaptive cruise control ?

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
"Enhanced", not "Advanced"...

Your options are no AP (you would get standard cruise control (no TACC), EAP or EAP+FSD
Also, the only Autopilot features you get without Enhanced Autopilot are the safety features:
  • Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
  • front collision warning
  • side collision warning
  • auto high beams

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Safety is always free with Tesla — as the others have said it’s cruise control and safety features standard.

Enhanced Autopilot is $5,000 (or $6,000 as an upgrade after delivery)

Full Self Drive is $3,000 (or $4,000 as an upgrade after delivery). This requires EAP as well.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Accident Avoidance is supposed to be standard on all Teslas regardless of EAP purchase.

I believe I experienced Accident Avoidance for the first time last week. I was driving through a construction zone with a temporary barrier on an off ramp. The barrier on the left crosses the lane markings and makes the off ramp lane extra tight. The right side was the dirt shoulder.

My Autopilot was off. Some warning alarms started sounding and t felt the wheel pull away from the temporary barrier to my left. I was able to override the Accident Avoidance input to stay in the temporary lane instead of drifting onto the dirt shoulder on the right.

nameless

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
A couple of tangential questions, while we're at it:
* How much does the EAP respect speed limits? Would it take issue with me trying to set cruise control to 90 mph?
* Does it slow down in curves?
* Does it change lanes to pass slower traffic? Or would I need to wait for a functional FSD for that?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A couple of tangential questions, while we're at it:
* How much does the EAP respect speed limits? Would it take issue with me trying to set cruise control to 90 mph?
* Does it slow down in curves?
* Does it change lanes to pass slower traffic? Or would I need to wait for a functional FSD for that?
From the Model 3 manual (page 62) the TACC can be set up to 90mph. On page 68 it talks about autosteer and says it will allow +5mph over the speed limit. However if no limit is detected then it's limited to 45mph. It will slow for curves as far as I know but maybe on of the Model 3 owners with EAP could chime in on if it slows too much?? Currently it will not change lanes on it's own, that should be more of a full self driving feature in the future. You can manually activate the blinker and then it will perform an automatic lane change, one lane at a time.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did some EAP testing in my dad’s S a few nights ago.

I get on the highway and it’s a 65 MPH speed limit. While going 73 MPH I activated EAP and it went on. I’m generally very confused about the 5 MPH over the speed limit rule as it doesn’t seem to apply?

Also to the original question the only thing impacting speed would be cars in front of you as it will automatically slow to keep the acceptable car lengths (that you set).

Land changes happen when you activate the blinker though this repeatedly failed for me the other night. Not sure why...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Auto lane change based on traffic in lanes will eventually be part of EAP, so will not require FSD, but currently needs the driver to check the lane and signal.
@SoFlaModel3 i understand it will not work if it detects other cars that are too close or if you are not on a divided highway.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Auto lane change based on traffic in lanes will eventually be part of EAP, so will not require FSD, but currently needs the driver to check the lane and signal.
@SoFlaModel3 i understand it will not work if it detects other cars that are too close or if you are not on a divided highway.
That’s my understanding as well, which is why it was odd that I was on a well marked highway with no one around and I put on the signal and nothing happened. I tried 3 times and gave up.

My dad’s car has AP1, so I wonder if there is a current issue with it...

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s my understanding as well, which is why it was odd that I was on a well marked highway with no one around and I put on the signal and nothing happened. I tried 3 times and gave up.

Did you enable the feature in the settings? (This has usually been the problem when it's not working.)

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you enable the feature in the settings? (This has usually been the problem when it's not working.)
Yes, EAP works fine at holding the lane, maintaining speed, etc. It’s just the lane change that isn’t working.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just want to be clear that I'm referring to the lane change setting.
Well now I’m embarrassed.

I would assume I did, but then again I would have also assumed that it was as simple as turning on EAP in the first place. If it’s a separate setting I’ll have to double check it.

If it’s off that would explain the failure as user error :mad::mad::mad:

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Yes that's a setting you need to activate under the AP menu. Maybe your dad's settings had his set to off.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well now I’m embarrassed.

I would assume I did, but then again I would have also assumed that it was as simple as turning on EAP in the first place. If it’s a separate setting I’ll have to double check it.

If it’s off that would explain the failure as user error :mad::mad::mad:
it's ok - we will not hold it against you :)

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
My experience with EAP2 is that it will slow down in a curve after scaring you pretty good and riding on the line. Lane changes work well if clear of traffic and not in a curve.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My experience with EAP2 is that it will slow down in a curve after scaring you pretty good and riding on the line. Lane changes work well if clear of traffic and not in a curve.
Since you brought it up now I'm curious. Does lane change work at all in a curve are does it just not work very well? Have you tried it on different radius curves or does it just give up unless it's tracking dead straight?

Rusty

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Since you brought it up now I'm curious. Does lane change work at all in a curve are does it just not work very well? Have you tried it on different radius curves or does it just give up unless it's tracking dead straight?
I don’t have EAP on my car, but drove a new MS as a loaner for 3 weeks. I enjoyed EAP. I have a lot of stop and go traffic and EAP made it very relaxing.

I did not experiment much on the lane change with EAP. I have one area that is a fairly gentle but long curve. EAP never did the lane change for me in that curve (probably tried it 4-5 times). It seemed to be very busy trying to stay in the center of the lane.

EAP does well at staying in the center on straight stretches but ping pongs a bit in curves.