Adding Tesla Solar in Texas

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So tomorrow will be the remaining 11 Panels.
Side skirts on Panels and "pest abatement" screens all around the system.
2 Powerwalls.
Run wires through Conduit that they installed thought the attic today.
Add a soft start Kit to each of the A/C units and that should be it.

Then wait for Inspection and Utility to come.
I think the inspection will be quick.
I have been in touch with the Utility and they do it right after Christmas! So fingers crossed!

Bigriver

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Side skirts on Panels and "pest abatement" screens all around the system.
So I’m curious about this... on mine, they only installed the skirts on the bottom like your pictures are currently showing. There is only one location on mine that the absence of the skirt bothers me — which I mentioned to them and no one ever got back to me. And I have no idea what pest abatement screens are.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I’m curious about this... on mine, they only installed the skirts on the bottom like your pictures are currently showing. There is only one location on mine that the absence of the skirt bothers me — which I mentioned to them and no one ever got back to me. And I have no idea what pest abatement screens are.
They are going to put skirts on the sides as well tomorrow. They are only leaving the top open.
As for as PEST ABATEMENT or CRITTER GUARDS, it is supposed to a fitted mesh screen that fits between the panel and the roof so that squirrels and birds can’t make nests under the panels. It is supposed to go all around the panels and even under the skirts.

We have lots of both types of critters in the tress around us. So we wanna keep them out.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They are going to put skirts on the sides as well tomorrow. They are only leaving the top open.
As for as PEST ABATEMENT or CRITTER GUARDS, it is supposed to a fitted mesh screen that fits between the panel and the roof so that squirrels and birds can’t make nests under the panels. It is supposed to go all around the panels and even under the skirts.

We have lots of both types of critters in the tress around us. So we wanna keep them out.
So out of curiosity, how many inches do the panels stand away from the roof? I thought that they would be flush to the roof but I guess there are hardware underneath the panels.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So out of curiosity, how many inches do the panels stand away from the roof? I thought that they would be flush to the roof but I guess there are hardware underneath the panels.
Ya know it does sit a bit higher than I thought it would. I would say 6 inches but will try to see if I can get a better estimate today after work.
But the skirts make it look very clean. There are higher from the roof than I thought as well but if the wife likes it (and she does) we are good.
If you are interested in doing it, DM me and we can set up a meet if you want.
Plus I have a code that will extend the warrenty by 5 years. :p

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The abatement screens turned out to not be something we wanted to add all the way around. They were gonna screw them into the face of the skirts! So they looked like Chicken wire and definitely spoiled the look. So we stopped them and they just put them on the tops that don't have skirts and you cant see them.
In further review, we also don't have trees right up to the house, so I guess squirrels wont get up there, so I hope the screens will deter any bird nests and they go to the trees instead.

Regarding your skirts, I would call them again. It looks so good when they put them all the way around.

Jaywlker

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can use chicken wire or similar to keep pigeons and other critters from making a mess under the panels.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ya know it does sit a bit higher than I thought it would. I would say 6 inches but will try to see if I can get a better estimate today after work.
But the skirts make it look very clean. There are higher from the roof than I thought as well but if the wife likes it (and she does) we are good.
If you are interested in doing it, DM me and we can set up a meet if you want.
Plus I have a code that will extend the warrenty by 5 years. :p
If 6", that is quite high above roof surface. Thanks the the offer to take a look and the code. I am thinking about it but probably not until sometimes in 2019. My HOA will probably not like it when I approach them about solar. :rolleyes:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If 6", that is quite high above roof surface. Thanks the the offer to take a look and the code. I am thinking about it but probably not until sometimes in 2019. My HOA will probably not like it when I approach them about solar. :rolleyes:
They actually have no choice in Texas. They MUST allow it. Now they can stipulate what areas it is installed but they cannot deny you. For example. My HOA does not allow it on the front of the house. So that is their non-designated area. But you can put it in that area if you can show the system will make 10% more if it’s there versus the designated area. But my HOA (and their lawyer) interprets that as saying the whole system has to go there. And 49 panels would not fit on the front of my house so we ended up with them on the sides and they approved that immediately. Now I may have been able to fight them on that since the system was more efficient but not by 10%. Those panels that were on the front were 10% more efficient but not the whole system. So it became legal ease and not worth the hassle. But I got my system on my house and very happy with it and hope it is turned on this week right after Christmas.

Now if you wanna do it, I suggest doing in 2019 as after that the tax credit of 30% starts to reduce. But you also need some lead time. My system was gonna take 5 months to get installed but ended up getting it in under 3 since my UTILITY rebate was going to expire at the EOY and I was available for a move up if a spot came available.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
WE DID IT! We are live!

I Present "THE WARP CORE"

IMG_1893.PNG

Actually 2 Powerwalls. I don't know why they don't show 2. That will be a suggestion. But at the bottom (not shown) it says "2 x Powerwall"

I would like you to meet CORDELIA and STEPHANO, Can you figure out what their names are taken from?

IMG_1894.jpg

Once we charged up the Powerwalls and the sun came up to hit the 41 panels on the West side, we were fully self powered and now pushing energy back to the grid already:)

IMG_1898.PNG

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was wondering if Stormwatch had kicked in and how things were going with the weather rolling in and I just saw your Tweet. No good. Maybe they just need to be rebooted, put your foot on the brake and press both steering wheel buttons !! o_O:D

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was wondering if Stormwatch had kicked in and how things were going with the weather rolling in and I just saw your Tweet. No good. Maybe they just need to be rebooted, put your foot on the brake and press both steering wheel buttons !! o_O:D
Hey @GDN.
Nope, no Storm Watch at all over these last few sets of storms. :(
I may call again. I manually set them for back up. Thankfully the hail didn't come.
The Storms we had on the 13th tho I lost power for about 5 minutes. So the PWs took care of that.

On another note, I had a conversation with CoServ about their Net Meter policy :rolleyes:.
Wont be making any progress I don't think. But whatever.
They did say tho that higher rates may be coming as this summer may be a tough one for supply and demand. Maybe then I will make more of my system cost back :p
Or maybe they will ask to use my stored power at some point. And they will have to pay a premium if they want it ;)
To be clear, I agreed to let them contact me for such a scenario when I installed the PWs, but I am not required to allow them to use the juice tho.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey @GDN.
Nope, no Storm Watch at all over these last few sets of storms. :(
I may call again. I manually set them for back up. Thankfully the hail didn't come.
The Storms we had on the 13th tho I lost power for about 5 minutes. So the PWs took care of that.

On another note, I had a conversation with CoServ about their Net Meter policy :rolleyes:.
Wont be making any progress I don't think. But whatever.
They did say tho that higher rates may be coming as this summer may be a tough one for supply and demand. Maybe then I will make more of my system cost back :p
Or maybe they will ask to use my stored power at some point. And they will have to pay a premium if they want it ;)
To be clear, I agreed to let them contact me for such a scenario when I installed the PWs, but I am not required to allow them to use the juice tho.
Hope Tesla gets on the Stormwatch thing, that is just the fun icing on the cake. I'm truly glad we didn't have baseball size hail to test the panels or your roof, but they all were sure it was coming, I guess conditions just looked right.

I know higher gas and electric prices aren't good for the economy, likely everything will start to go up, but once you get an EV or you get off the grid, there is just this little evil in the back of your head that says I don't care how expensive gas or electricity gets, I'm not having to buy it. My electrical rates are locked for another year. I'm at .08/Kwh. I'm not complaining at all. I'd lock in those rates for longer if they'd let me. I've been able to get that for 3 years at a time, I'm on year 5.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hope Tesla gets on the Stormwatch thing, that is just the fun icing on the cake. I'm truly glad we didn't have baseball size hail to test the panels or your roof, but they all were sure it was coming, I guess conditions just looked right.

I know higher gas and electric prices aren't good for the economy, likely everything will start to go up, but once you get an EV or you get off the grid, there is just this little evil in the back of your head that says I don't care how expensive gas or electricity gets, I'm not having to buy it. My electrical rates are locked for another year. I'm at .08/Kwh. I'm not complaining at all. I'd lock in those rates for longer if they'd let me. I've been able to get that for 3 years at a time, I'm on year 5.
I did see they has some hail north of Fort Worth but that is all I could find out. So mustta not been too bad. Now if it was, they woulda been like "SEE? I told ya!" :D

Yeah, Kinda bad on my part. I am currently at a blended rate of .097 cents down to .082 cents. The more you use the cheaper it is....weird. But I haven't netted any out in the last 2 months.
I would definitely jump on the low rates if you get a chance again. I've been reading allot about Supply being a problem soon here in TX