Active cooling

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Was curious to see if MPP will be doing any thing to mimick the cooling benefits of track mode for all model 3s? I for one would be super intrested in this. Would it be hard to implement? Is it even doable?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
It should be easy to put more coolant capacity in the system, with an extra ~3 gallon reservoir up front. I think an extreme application would be removing the frunk lid and installing an air-to-water intercooler on a slant mount. That would be for motorsports.

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Better would be to improve the air conditioning loop since refrigerant is far more effective at heat transfer than coolant. And the limiting factor for heat transfer is probably not the refrigerant.

For background, Model 3 has a very interestingly engineered cooling system for the cabin, battery, motor, controller, neural network computer that uses cross coupled liquid coolant (probably propylene glycol based) and phase change (i.e. air conditioning refrigerant). Some of the brilliance of it is suggested in the article about Model 3's Superbottle at:

https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-3s-superbottle-easter-egg-is-a-fascin-1830992728

Last edited: