Accessibility with Model 3

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For a while now, I've had some concerns about the accessibility of this car. It started with the door handles (I can see this being difficult for folks with certain mobility limitations as pull handles are operated with a simpler motion), then after observing a wheelchair-using friend get into my current car using grab handles—the lack of them on is worrying (though I'm aware of other aids). I've also read some concern about text size on the screen (this is a software fix).

What concerns (or issues) have you noticed where accessibility is concerned?

Current list:
  • Door handles aren't operable by one hand for everyone
  • No grab handles above doors
  • Text size on screen is not adjustable

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@littlD and his wife may have some input.

However, not all cars are appropriate for all users. This would be similar to a private home not being wheelchair accessible while others are.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm concerned about getting in/out of a low vehicle. My wife has MS and I know she has some trouble with my Volt. I'm considering getting SAS so I can increase the height when entering/exiting to make it easier. Hopefully that option will be available before I order my AWD M3 (due by the end of 2018).

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For a while now, I've had some concerns about the accessibility of this car. It started with the door handles (I can see this being difficult for folks with certain mobility limitations as pull handles are operated with a simpler motion), then after observing a wheelchair-using friend get into my current car using grab handles—the lack of them on is worrying (though I'm aware of other aids). I've also read some concern about text size on the screen (this is a software fix).

What concerns (or issues) have you noticed where accessibility is concerned?

Current list:
  • No grab handles above doors
  • Text size on screen is not adjustable
Yes, I think adjustable text size would be a very useful feature for a lot of people. Plus, it would be an over the air update rather than hardware solution.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the Model 3 is not exceptionally low. (front seats 21-23" above the pavement).
Thanks for the quick response. My first assumption was those dimensions were 23" to ground at the front and 21" at the back. Then I realized more likely it was seat adjustment, lowest to highest (2" travel), but unknown where the measurement was taken. Assuming it was the top of the cushion near the rear, then my '18 Volt is currently 23" and her AWD '17 Buick Encore is currently 28". I can't tell at this point where that seat is in it's range of adjustment, but both measurements are the seat she uses (passenger in my Volt, driver in her Encore).

So I'm going to go on the assumption that I made when I first started researching a Tesla that I should go for SAS for winter ground clearance and ease of entry/exit, IF it's an option is a reasonable amount of time after I'm allowed to order. Last I heard, that was "late 2018".

Thanks again Melinda!

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@littlD and his wife may have some input.

However, not all cars are appropriate for all users. This would be similar to a private home not being wheelchair accessible while others are.
During our #MiddieGoesToYellowstone trip, I didn't notice too much trouble transferring Deborah to and from the passenger seat other than the occasional hitting the head on the top of the door opening. I do provide help, so no need for grab bars.

Also, enough room in the trunk for a wheelchair like this one Deborah uses, even with a travel bag and duffel bag stuffed all the way in:

oneshortguy

Country
Country
Unfortunately it's growing trend in more sportier cars.

I test drove the car a few times while I'm waiting for the Base model (no way I am going for First Production), I still don't like the screen. It's like being distracted by an oversized phone.