Acceleration Boost!!!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Have you purchased the acceleration increase?

• Total voters

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am unaware of any acceleration difference between the Stealth and the full-blown P. My recollection is that the $5000 Performance Upgrade Package paid for wheels, brakes, spoiler, pedals and that's all.

PaulT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So for all those not familiar with how the model 3 performance price structure was ( correct me of I am wrong, I am going off memory)

-For several months when the model 3 first came out, the performance upgrade was a $9k adder which did not include the brakes, spoilers, pedals, track mode, etc. it was additional $5k for all the accessories and track mode.

-they eventually wrapped the price of the accessories into the performance adder, so early adopters paid $5k more. They tried to make it right by offering incentives with supercharging...I don’t remember the details

-eventually they offered another discount behind the scenes that Allowed someone to still get a stealth mode, so it was essentially $9k adder, but you could subtract the old accessory cost of $5k, meaning you could get a performance sleeper for $4k above non p AWD

-looks like the performance adder is now only $8k above, with accessories. I am guessing it is only $4k without accessories?

so it seems that if the performance boost we can purchase is only $2k, it probably isn’t a full second faster 0-60, maybe half second. ...or, $2k is only the first tier of upgrade, maybe another $2k gets you track mode....

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So for all those not familiar with how the model 3 performance price structure was ( correct me of I am wrong, I am going off memory)

-For several months when the model 3 first came out, the performance upgrade was a $9k adder which did not include the brakes, spoilers, pedals, track mode, etc. it was additional $5k for all the accessories and track mode.

-they eventually wrapped the price of the accessories into the performance adder, so early adopters paid $5k more. They tried to make it right by offering incentives with supercharging...I don’t remember the details

-eventually they offered another discount behind the scenes that Allowed someone to still get a stealth mode, so it was essentially $9k adder, but you could subtract the old accessory cost of $5k, meaning you could get a performance sleeper for $4k above non p AWD

-looks like the performance adder is now only $8k above, with accessories. I am guessing it is only $4k without accessories?

so it seems that if the performance boost we can purchase is only $2k, it probably isn’t a full second faster 0-60, maybe half second. ...or, $2k is only the first tier of upgrade, maybe another $2k gets you track mode....
I don't think just SW/money will ever get you track mode because you only get that on a Full P which has the upgrade brakes.

Last edited:

PaulT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I lost $4k on the FSD early adoption (it was discounted later) but I am not too worried... that has and probably always will be Tesla’s philosophy. Early adopters pay more...Elon even said this about model s and x owners.... they paved/paid the way for the model 3.

android04

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Roadshow Post - $2k Upgrade

And we SURE it's only AWD cars? Cuz here's my LR RWD screenshot right now.... Only requirement seems to be the SW version :cool:

View attachment 31216
Interesting... I have an LR RWD but can't get to that Upgrades screen anymore because I already have AP+FSD. I figured this performance increase would be for AWD non-Performance cars, but now I'm excited about the possibilities once this rolls out!

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting... I have an LR RWD but can't get to that Upgrades screen anymore because I already have AP+FSD. I figured this performance increase would be for AWD non-Performance cars, but now I'm excited about the possibilities once this rolls out!
Same here. I suspect the option is available on the page, but not enabled for anyone yet.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well IMO whatever power being added to an AWD is split between the motors anyways, so why not just add the same amount to the RWD cars as well.

Plenty of RWD ICE cars out there pushing 400-600hp on just the rears, just might need to upgrade the tires to get the power stable and usable, but I'm game to try! ;)

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Another slap in the face for those of us that paid large up front. I purchased a Stealth P3D. And I guarantee, I paid MUCH more than $2000 to upgrade from AWD.
"Slap in the face"?

C'mon, literally nothing has changed for you. You are no worse off than before you heard about this. Rather than debate how Tesla might have done this differently or better, a more healthy approach might be to figure out how not to dwell on things other people get. Because as time goes on, Tesla will sell better cars for much cheaper than the one you bought.

My advice: be happy about the awesome car you have, and think about the NEXT Tesla you will buy, and be glad all this good stuff and cheapness and more will be there when you do that. Encourage Tesla to keep improving so that Future You will be delighted. Stop mourning how Last Year You got cheated by the goodness that customers now are enjoying.

#UnsolicitedAdviceRant

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And I'll add this...Tesla is making a BIG mistake selling performance power without performance braking.
Yes, if you want to take the car to the track. No if it's just for normal driving.

The brakes already can sink more torque than the wheels can support without sliding. Once you can harness all of the traction the tires can generate, you don't need more braking (as long as they and the fluid have ample time to cool between uses, which you don't on a track).

Alighieri256

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can anyone help me find perspective on why I should be OK with paying an additional $2,000 on top of what Iv'e already paid for this upgrade?
I'm guessing we got our cars around the same time. Mine was ~$78K before taxes. That said, yes, I see the latest pricing and feel a little jilted, but overall, I'm still happy with what I got. As for why anyone should have to pay for this upgrade, if it is actually something new, and not a way for them to commercialize the power upgrades we've already received, my thought is that adding more power to any system also adds an increase to the failure rate, and therefore warranty costs.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So - I've aready reconsidered personally. At first glance I'm all over this for $2K. On second thought both cars are over a year old, I jumped in line with a reservation for a Cybertruck and I could potentially retire in about 5 years. I could put that $2K toward the tri-motor version of the truck which I could potentially keep for many many years, it could go toward a down payment on a replacement for the second car, it could be a lot of things moving forward, but reality is that I would likely never get $2K of joy out of it over the next few years by being able to accelerate to 60 1 second faster than I already can today. Few cars could keep up with me now and even with the recent announcements we've had from Ford, etc. there still isn't anything coming that would be any more of a challenge than we already have.