AC Humming Noise

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never noticed this while in the car, but the other day, I wanted to pre-cool the car and fired up the AC from the app. I happened to be near the car as I was puttering around the garage. I noticed that as the AC turned on, there was a fairly loud audible hum as the AC kicked into high. After about 30s it calmed down, but the hum was still audible from the outside. I tested again at a different time and noticed the same noise, climbed in the car and could not hear the hum. I'm just wondering if this is normal sound or if I should be concerned and have it checked out.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Being in Florida and depending on pre-cooling the car daily I can confirm for you that this is completely normal and fortunately well insulated on the inside as you noted!

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Being in Florida and depending on pre-cooling the car daily I can confirm for you that this is completely normal and fortunately well insulated on the inside as you noted!
I appreciate the quick response and confirmation. Glad it's not just me and normal operation. Still learning the nuances of the vehicle. BTW, I post this as I'm sitting in my car getting a free charge from a local business while waiting for my daughter's soccer game to start. :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I appreciate the quick response and confirmation. Glad it's not just me and normal operation. Still learning the nuances of the vehicle. BTW, I post this as I'm sitting in my car getting a free charge from a local business while waiting for my daughter's soccer game to start. :)
You’re welcome and can’t beat that — free juice is good juice!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Yes! That's one of the coolest things about an electric car, you can run the A/C without having a loud gas or diesel engine idling away. Because I hate to get into hot cars. That makes me feel all sticky and icky. Much nicer to get into a cool, dry cabin - it's so welcoming and has changed my life during the heat of summer.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes! That's one of the coolest things about an electric car, you can run the A/C without having a loud gas or diesel engine idling away.
Just the other day, I needed to stop at Home Depot. But I already had a bunch of fresh produce in the car, and it was a 90° day. What to do?

Then I remembered that I drive a Leaf. I left it "on", and closed and locked the door. :)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just the other day, I needed to stop at Home Depot. But I already had a bunch of fresh produce in the car, and it was a 90° day. What to do?

Then I remembered that I drive a Leaf. I left it "on", and closed and locked the door. :)
Hoping for just a bit better implementation of this on the 3 soon. I get that the majority of the time when you get out of the car it should truly shut down, but if I'm running in to a store no more than a few minutes it would be nice if there was a button to touch on the screen to just keep the AC on vs having to restart it from the phone. I'd like to see a button pop up on the screen when the driver unbuckles the seat belt (that is the activation of the easy exit) that you could tap to keep the car on for 30 minutes or so, maybe a couple of options, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc.