Abstract Ocean puddle lights

Dano9258

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed 2 puddle lights over the weekend on the front doors only. I absolutely love them and they are cool to look at...
IMG_20180807_072052.jpg

However, yesterday I started noticing I'm losing about 1-2mi In range per hour. Could it be from these? Anyone else experience this? There is a slight hum/whine from under the front of the car too nonstop. Are these putting a strain on the electrical system somehow? I might try to switch them out again to see if that solves it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
However, yesterday I started noticing I'm losing about 1-2mi In range per hour. Could it be from these?
Probably not. The power to them should be shut off when the door is closed.

But if you still suspect them, then try removing them and see if your range drain continues.

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's a zero percent possibility these are causing the problem *if the doors are closed completely*. When the door is closed the power to them is cut off completely.

1-2 miles per hour is pretty huge, actually. I see you're in Nevada and it's hot there :) Check your cabin overheat protection settings and see what they're set to; the A/C might be running a lot.

I think the "3" logo looks better than the T so I may swap 'em around.

Allan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got a software update that included a few items that I think could impact battery drain. You might want to check and see if any of the new features/capability are impacting you. The only chane I made was turning on the beep for when the car locks and I don't see any change in my idle battery drain.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That amount of range loss points to the climate control.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the first things I bought for my car, long before it was delivered, were AO Puddle lights in the ☰ design. After seeing some others installed and the skew, I was debating if I should install mine or not. Finally, today I plugged one in.

IMG_1827.jpg

Because the door bottom slopes up toward the rear of the car, the light pattern is fatter toward the front of the door and skinnier toward the rear of the door (when closed).
I really didn't like the right side being splayed out wider than the left, so pulled them back out of the do or and tried rotating the light pattern, so the image gets fatter toward it's bottom instead of the right side.

IMG_1843.jpg

Still not sure I like it, but at least somewhat less odd than the side to side size change. I also have the bright replacements I intend to put in the trunk, but maybe I'll use those on the doors instead.

IDK, what do you think?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They look much better after you've rotated them, still skewed as you note, but most anyone else would probably not notice. You need the brighter lights in the trunk - they make a huge difference and are very nice there. You might reach out to AO and see if they would trade you lights. I've got the T - Tesla Logo from AO and really like them. You don't notice a skew.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just went to the garage for a pic. The garage door opener light was on but nothing else. These are nice and bright. Really like the AO blue interior lights as well. Noticed the edge of them in the first pic and took a second highlighting both lights!!

719316A8-9C04-4DC7-B779-42B0CB12E8FD.jpeg 992A7AB6-BFFF-4CDB-BC56-08EF280F27DD.jpeg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi there,

I installed my puddle lights today, but was not happy with the alignment. when I tried to remove them, the transparent cap came off, but the unit itself is lost in the door.
Heeeeeeelp!!!!

jmmdownhil

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
installed the AO puddle lights yesterday. First one (driver door) was not much of a problem, although wire was short. left rear was really short wire and flew back inside the door when I popped the connector. SOAB, had a hell of a time trying to fish the connector back out of the hole. Managed to force a few fingers behind the door panel and pushed the connector through the hole, and installed the cable extender that I bought from OA. Good to go I thought, but wanted to adjust the light angle after install so pulled on the light and the transparent cover came off the assembly, with the guts of the light inside the door! Back to shoving fingers behind the door panel to push the guts back through the hole.
Lesson learned: attach a string to the wire BEFORE you pop the connector. If it flys inside the door, you can then easily pull it out. I used this technique on the right side doors.
Also learned the hard way that you should push down on the TOP of the male connector to release it from the female connector.
Highly recommend that you buy the cable extenders. If nothing else, you can use them to understand how the connectors work.
All of the hassles were Tesla related, primarily due to extremely short connector wires, and had nothing to do with the AO product.

Olds442

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
i found using a needle nosed pliers to hold the clip while pulling the old light off worked well and i never lost the clip inside the door.

you could always just tie a piece of fishing line on the clip before detaching it from the old light, so if it jumps up in the door it's easy to pull back out. ;)

i like the all blue look myself.

i didn't think i wanted the trunk lights, but they made a big difference. i used bright white in there.