About to purchase Model S - Cornwall UK

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hi,

We are looking at purchasing a used Model S direct from Tesla UK as I currently own a X5 40d and do 15/20000 miles a year. My daily commute is around 80 miles a day (40 each way) and my company would install a free charging point so effectively my current £4-500 a month Fuel bill would be hugely reduced. Also no tax, but probable higher insurance.
Sorry, this has probably been asked a million times, but what is a realistic complete charge time? Also, is it ok to plug in everyday when I get to work or is it beneficial to run the battery down more before being recharged?

Thanks

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to the site, @Werrington1 ! :)

Charging rate is going to depend on what kind of station ends up being installed. The most common kind will max out at about 7kW. For a Model S, this will add about 21 miles of range for every hour that the car is charging. So you'll have your round-trip commute covered after about four hours of charging. (Reference: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/home-charging-installation?redirect=no )

As for how best to charge, that's going to depend a bit on the specifics of your situation. If this charging station is being installed exclusively for your use, then ideally, you would set the car to charge to 80%-90%, and plug it in every day. However, most workplace charging isn't exclusive. If that's the case, then you might want to try to only charge every-other day for a full ~8 hours. Or coordinate with other EV owners and move vehicles around during the day to allow others to charge.

Lithium batteries prefer to be kept around 50% charge. The main thing is to not leave them sit very long at 100% or 0%. Tesla batteries in particular are fairly robust, so I wouldn't worry about the battery level too much.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Welcome to the site, @Werrington1 ! :)

Charging rate is going to depend on what kind of station ends up being installed. The most common kind will max out at about 7kW. For a Model S, this will add about 21 miles of range for every hour that the car is charging. So you'll have your round-trip commute covered after about four hours of charging. (Reference: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/home-charging-installation?redirect=no )

As for how best to charge, that's going to depend a bit on the specifics of your situation. If this charging station is being installed exclusively for your use, then ideally, you would set the car to charge to 80%-90%, and plug it in every day. However, most workplace charging isn't exclusive. If that's the case, then you might want to try to only charge every-other day for a full ~8 hours. Or coordinate with other EV owners and move vehicles around during the day to allow others to charge.

Lithium batteries prefer to be kept around 50% charge. The main thing is to not leave them sit very long at 100% or 0%. Tesla batteries in particular are fairly robust, so I wouldn't worry about the battery level too much.

Thanks very much! The charger is being installed for me only. I manage a small team of only 10 at our site and I’m the only one considering an ev.
Also, although looking at 2nd hand, Tesla are offering a 4 year/50k miles warranty which would ease my concerns regarding the battery.
Currently if I calculate my work mileage only, I would be spending about £350 a month on fuel.
Am I being foolish in thinking that if I manage to predominantly charge for free at work, then I can nearly wipe out my fuel bill? Seems to good to be true!

Apologies for the questions, I’ve been looking for a while now but just keep thinking I’m missing something.

Thanks

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Am I being foolish in thinking that if I manage to predominantly charge for free at work, then I can nearly wipe out my fuel bill? Seems to good to be true!
I previously owned a 2012 Nissan Leaf. For much of that time, I was charging almost exclusively at work. Before that, I was spending over $2000/yr on fuel. So over the 6 years I owned that car, I saved about $8000. Free charging at work is a great perk!

It really does work, even though it seems too good to be true at times. :)