About to be a Tesla owner

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Have a reservation on a model 3 long with full auto pilot. I am not a full techy guy so what do I need to know first? I get around a computer very well but not like most Tesla owners. Suggestions?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The first thing to know and remember is that this is a car. You drive it like a car. You'll realize on the first drive that it is also the most fun incredible car you've ever had the privilege of driving, but it is still just a car. You can enjoy the stereo, have fun with the new ways doors open, enjoy the app, then drive it again because it's just the most fun car you've ever driven. The techy part of this car will come one day at a time. Find a few threads to read here about EAP, about auto lane changes, about sentry mode, about the app, about how to put it in Park. Drive the car again, because it is just a car. Spend a day or two reading the manual, it will give you the breadth of everything this car can do and how it does it. Read a few more threads about the things it doesn't do so well one of which is AutoPark. Reread the manual, because, well there are just a whole lot of automated things this car can do. Read up on how to properly close the Frunk, because it is a big finicky.

Seriously watch the "New Posts" on this forum and you'll find what is being discussed most. Read the manual so you understand the car, and just prepare to be 110% blown away on your first drive, because this is anything but just a car.

Last edited:

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How to use the key card and phone
How to get in car and put in forward and reverse
How to get out of card and the car locking
How to plug in the charger (and where the charge port is)

Not much more that I can think of

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3's USB ports are underpowered 500mA. I suggest an Anker PowerCore (one of few USB battery banks on market that can pass through power while charging itself) between the car and your devices that need charged. Set and forget, never have to mess with power buttons or anything. Also pick up a sandisk cruzer ultra fit 256gb (or similar/larger) if you want TeslaCam.

3d print yourself a console tray: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3187713

There will be loud violent clunking noises in the floor, they are solenoid valves in the coolant loops. Never fails to scare me into wondering if I'd just impacted some road debris through the floorpan.

You will have to be vigilant that front seat passengers use the door open push button and NOT use the physical emergency door latch. Rear right passenger will tend to use the wrong seatbelt latch from the center rear seat.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have a reservation on a model 3 long with full auto pilot. I am not a full techy guy so what do I need to know first?
@GDN's advice is great. Enjoy it as a car first.

Before trying autopilot and self-parking features, realize that this is first generation stuff, and you should NOT trust the car to handle everything correctly. Always remain vigilant and prepared to take over from the car. It's not self-driving (yet).

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have a reservation on a model 3 long with full auto pilot. I am not a full techy guy so what do I need to know first? I get around a computer very well but not like most Tesla owners. Suggestions?
What's your home charging situation? That's a biggie. Lots of ways to handle it, and lots of advice here on the forum.

Gordon87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How to use the key card and phone
How to get in car and put in forward and reverse
How to get out of card [[car]] and the car locking
How to plug in the charger (and where the charge port is)

Not much more that I can think of
Good basic list. Also —

How to put car in park.

How to close the frunk (not pushing on the Tesla logo, but hands gently pushing down on either side of it).

Delivery advisor can help on the initial settings which you won’t typically change - saved profile (steering wheel, outside mirrors, driver’s seat, Easy Exit), creep or not, chill mode or not, setting for regen braking, [other settings I’ve missed?]

Checking out phone app for things like pre-heating, setting Sentry Mode, ...

For specific uses - learning valet mode, dog mode, Tesla supercharger/trip planner (and third party software like A Better Routeplanner)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

fritter63

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Car Wash. Make sure you figure out how configure it to get it through the car wash (automated roller).

Then come back and tell me.

:)

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good basic list. Also —

How to put car in park.

How to close the frunk (not pushing on the Tesla logo, but hands gently pushing down on either side of it).

Delivery advisor can help on the initial settings which you won’t typically change - saved profile (steering wheel, outside mirrors, driver’s seat, Easy Exit), creep or not, chill mode or not, setting for regen braking, [other settings I’ve missed?]

Checking out phone app for things like pre-heating, setting Sentry Mode, ...

For specific uses - learning valet mode, dog mode, Tesla supercharger/trip planner (and third party software like A Better Routeplanner)
And put your car in neutral. Up on the right stock and hold for a couple of seconds. Helpful if you go to a car wash. Better to hand wash but sometimes that’s not possible.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You will have to be vigilant that front seat passengers use the door open push button and NOT use the physical emergency door latch.
This! Almost everyone I've had in the car has gone for the physical emergency latch vs. the button. So much that I went and purchased some stickers that say "DOOR OPEN" that go over the button. Even with them it finally happened last week. Passenger I was taking to lunch from work says "How do I open the door?" I was forced to respond "Push the button that says DOOR OPEN" and I got a nice chuckle from my coworker out of it haha

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You will have to be vigilant that front seat passengers use the door open push button and NOT use the physical emergency door latch.
Actually, it's not a big deal anymore. Tesla updated the software a while ago to drop the window when the emergency latch is pulled, so no worries about scratching the chrome when that happens anymore.

EDIT: sorry, I must have fat-fingered the "center alignment" button. Fixed.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everything else being said here is cool but will be second nature to you soon.

But most importantly, develop and abide by safe and defensive driving habits at all times, and I mean, at all times. Please drive slow and please try extra hard to avoid getting into an accident in a Tesla. You do NOT want to be without a car for weeks/months, worse yet, be at fault and pay a rather large sum of money and regret your actions later. For Tesla Model 3, we are all early adopters and Tesla is still quite slow when it comes to repairs/parts. And not every repair shop is certified to work on Tesla cars.

Tesla are also getting targeted for break-ins / vandalism as you may have been reading about lately. You now own a futuristic, posh-looking car, and with that, you are inevitably going to attract (negative) attention. Park wisely and always err on the side of caution. Good luck and enjoy the vehicle.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually, it's not a big deal anymore. Tesla updated the software a while ago to drop the window when the emergency latch is pulled, so no worries about scratching the chrome when that happens anymore.
oh you have no idea how much stress that relieves. I was thinking about some version of the Air Force 'No Step' stickers to put over those things. Glad they were able to fix it! Because that release is exactly where a lot of cars normal release is.

Country
Country
The strangest sensation for me still is getting out of the car while it's still "running"
Of course, it's not actually running, but after you place it in Park, you just get out... The air conditioner is blowing, the radio is on... Just doesn't feel right, but it's the Tesla way & everyone will eventually get used to it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The strangest sensation for me still is getting out of the car while it's still "running"
Of course, it's not actually running, but after you place it in Park, you just get out... The air conditioner is blowing, the radio is on... Just doesn't feel right, but it's the Tesla way & everyone will eventually get used to it.
LOL, yeah. And the first month after my wife got hers, people would come up to her at work and ask why her car was making all those whirring noises in the parking lot.