About the M3 key options

Gilberto Pe-Curto

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I took a very quick read on the Model 3 key manual.

Does anybody here has used his/hers current Model 3 to go surfing ?
How do I take a key to the water and comeback to open it ? o_O

I am not going to surf with my SmartPhone nor even with the keycard, I think....
Ahh by the way, I am not going to have a Apple SmartWatch serie 3 too....don't like that kind of stuff....

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took a very quick read on the Model 3 key manual.

Does anybody here has used his/hers current Model 3 to go surfing ?
How do I take a key to the water and comeback to open it ? o_O

I am not going to surf with my SmartPhone nor even with the keycard, I think....
Ahh by the way, I am not going to have a Apple SmartWatch serie 3 too....don't like that kind of stuff....
I think the keycard (with no electronics or metal) has to be safer to take surfing than a physical key/remote today.

You should be good to go!

Gilberto Pe-Curto

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
What do you do with your key currently? I would think that you would just take the key card with you.
I have a plastic key that only unlocks the door...no electronics, no code to unlock the ignition...
Just unlocks the door and then I leave my real key hidden on the car to start the engine...
Simple and works for years now...

tfederov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I want to piggyback on this thread if I may too, please. I got a good one too. I do prison ministry and when I go into the prison I can't take my phone in with me. My thoughts are to turn my phone off and leave it in the car. No issues taking the card with me but in that scenario how do I lock the doors? Unless I'm totally missing it in the manual it doesn't say. Either that or I just tap the pillar again to lock it?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I want to piggyback on this thread if I may too, please. I got a good one too. I do prison ministry and when I go into the prison I can't take my phone in with me. My thoughts are to turn my phone off and leave it in the car. No issues taking the card with me but in that scenario how do I lock the doors? Unless I'm totally missing it in the manual it doesn't say. Either that or I just tap the pillar again to lock it?
That’s correct. You tap the card on the same pillar to lock the car again. The mirrors folding will be your quick giveaway on success (not sure if there is an audible alert).

I plan to keep the keycard in my wallet so my backup is always on hand.

tfederov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's kind of what I thought, thanks. Before I take it down to the prison I'm going to "practice" valet and other things here at the house to work out the kinks so I don't become "that guy" at the restaurant or asking for a bunk at the prison because I'm not going anywhere for a while. :D

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Along these same lines what do you do if you valet? Do you keep a card with you that you can leave with them? Personally I rarely valet, don't want them driving my car, but in the case you need to, how do they operate the car? The card would be the only way correct?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Along these same lines what do you do if you valet? Do you keep a card with you that you can leave with them? Personally I rarely valet, don't want them driving my car, but in the case you need to, how do they operate the car? The card would be the only way correct?
You put the car in Valet mode and give them the card. I found (but don't remember where) someone that made a card holder that attached to a keychain for the valets so they don't lose your key card.

Side note, I will never ever valet.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You put the car in Valet mode and give them the card. I found (but don't remember where) someone that made a card holder that attached to a keychain for the valets so they don't lose your key card.

Side note, I will never ever valet.
The company with the card holder is RPMTesla.com I'd guess that would work for surfing as well. I really don't know how well an RFID card stands up to saltwater though.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The company with the card holder is RPMTesla.com I'd guess that would work for surfing as well. I really don't know how well an RFID card stands up to saltwater though.
Yes, that was it, thanks!

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-valet-buddy

There are dedicated products that allow you to take keys, wallets, phones, cameras, etc. in the ocean. I bought one for a cruise and it worked well.

I do want to see what the key is like. For instance when I run half/full marathons and will sweat bad on the keycard for a few hours is that ok or should it be wrapped in something.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used to work at an RFID company, and for all intents and purposes you can treat it like a simple plastic card. Less delicate than some credit cards today with chips in fact, though those are waterproof, too.

A passive RFID tag is a pretty simple device. It's a thin trace layer of copper forming an antenna loop tuned for 13.56 MHz, and a tiny transceiver chip about the size of the head of a pin. That thin layer and the tiny chip is all molded into plastic.

The car pillar and the center drink holder platform emit weak 13.56 Mhz frequency pulses, which hit the antenna and briefly charge a capacitor that briefly powers the chip. All the chip does is burp back an ID. Simple device, no battery, all in plastic, nothing to get water-damaged. Not even really susceptible to damage by magnet, either.

Last edited:

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do want to see what the key is like. For instance when I run half/full marathons and will sweat bad on the keycard for a few hours is that ok or should it be wrapped in something.
I sometimes swim open water and would rather not keep the card on me (does it float or sink??), but it is a much better solution than what I have to do with a modern keyfob (hide it in the bushes nearby, but not near enough for keyless entry).

I'm thinking they key card could be hidden on the car itself (like old-school magnetic key holders)!
Or even something like this:

D'oh! :p

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used to work at an RFID company, and for all intents and purposes you can treat it like a simple plastic card. Less delicate than some credit cards today with chips in fact, those those are waterproof, too.

A passive RFID tag is a pretty simple device. It's a thin trace layer of copper forming an antenna loop tuned for 13.56 MHz, and a tiny transceiver chip about the size of the head of a pin. That thin layer and the tiny chip is all molded into plastic.

The car pillar and the center drink holder platform emit weak 13.56 Mhz frequency pulses, which hit the antenna and briefly charge a capacitor that briefly powers the chip. All the chip does is burp back an ID. Simple device, no battery, all in plastic, nothing to get water-damaged. Not even really susceptible to damage by magnet, either.
I know it’s not a good idea in general, but would punching a hole in the key card really be that bad?

My wish for future improvement is that the card had a small hole to use as a secure attachment point.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if it will still work if you accidentally bend it slightly? Like

I know it’s not a good idea in general, but would punching a hole in the key card really be that bad?

My wish for future improvement is that the card had a small hole to use as a secure attachment point.
You could test? ;)

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you punch the hole and avoid the antenna, it's fine. It may be possible to hold the card up to a bright light bulb and tell where it's safe. If someone wants to help the community and put one under a fluoroscope, that'd be great, too.

Another idea for the key card is to laminate it with two other innocuous cards that you already carry. Nobody's going to steal your BevMo card or whatever so you don't need to be too careful where you leave it. I'll probably punch a hole for hanging and stealth mine with something boring, like my license plate number on one side and just blank on the other. That way it would be meaningful to a valet, but not mean anything to someone else who found it.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just may... after I buy more spare keys. :D
Since there only a couple of bucks why not. I was going to buy 2 extras when I get the car, hopefully they have them in stock. Oh, maybe I shouldn't be saying that until I get my car. Wait, no that's a terrible idea, nobody buy any extra cards for now and forget I posted this......