A/C efficiency

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

teslafan9

Country
Country
Parked outside and the car was 101 degrees. Set the cooling to 60 degrees and it ran for just under 30 mins. That consumed about 10 miles of charge. Is that right?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Parked outside and the car was 101 degrees. Set the cooling to 60 degrees and it ran for just under 30 mins. That consumed about 10 miles of charge. Is that right?
You shouldn't need to run the AC for 30 minutes to cool down the car (unless you are saying someone was left in the car that wanted to keep it cold for that 30 minutes), but just a few minutes. Also, part of that 10mile number would be any vampire drain since it was last driven. Had it been sitting parked prior to turning on the AC? the on-board system lumps any of that consumption into the next drive, which is why when you first start out the efficiency always looks worse than after driving for some time.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'll agree, 30 minutes is way too long.
Also, 60 degrees is way too cold.
5 minutes to cool to 70 should be fine. But best way to cool car is to open door for a minute.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Opening the door might be the best way, but one of the features I love is the ability to cool it down via my phone after it has been sitting in the parking lot all day. I only turn it on 5-10 minutes prior to departure so it doesn’t use much range, but whatever it does use it worth it to me either way.