Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

$500 paint price increase across the board

11K views 77 replies 27 participants last post by  JustTheTip 
#1 · (Edited)
Idk for how long but it is recent. Model 3 has a $500 price increase on all paint jobs except solid black.

Just a way to get more profit per car or is it costing them more than they thought for some reason?

Glad I changed to MSM a week or so ago.

Edit: looks like AWD has increased $1000 as well? What’s the deal?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's just Pearl White and Red Multi-Coat went up in price, other colors are the same. Odd indeed.
no, @Dinozero is correct. all colors jumped $500.
metallic colors were $1000 and now $1500
multicoat pearl and red were $1500 (originally $1000) and now $2000.
Dual motors went back up to $5000 (originally $5k, then lowered to $4k).

#7 ·
Paint prices on the Model S / X appear to be unchanged. o_O

Trying to think of the last time Tesla raised prices without changing the product or bundling.... e.g., with the Model S/X, they tend to periodically raise the base price while making previously-optional features standard. I don't see any such difference here. Maybe it's just another back-door "gift" for early adopters?

EDIT: Yeah, what Dinozero said. :)

#9 ·
Actually, to that point: the release timestamp for the Model 3 design studio was updated about an hour ago, while the Model S / X design studios are still running the July 31st version.

#12 ·
Interestingly my price for reserved car still unchanged but when I click for the price breakdown under payment method it says
"
We are experiencing technical issues loading your payment details. Please try again later."
WFM. I confirmed that I'm still getting blue for $1k.

#17 ·
@MelindaV's hunch was correct.

The Model S / X design studios were just updated within the last half an hour (as was My Tesla), and the price of paint for Model S / X now matches the price of paint for Model 3: $0 black, $1500 Blue/Silver/MSM/OBM, $2000 White/MCR.

#19 ·
This is true, but I have to admit I really like the black, likely will prefer Obsidian Black once I see one, but do figure this will cause a few to dial back on the color. That $1500 for paint is now half of FSD. If I were to order again I'd skip color for the FSD.

#21 ·
Elon did say they'd be profitable soon. Here's how he's going to do it.
Keep that stock rolling. I don't know the numbers, just going to grab some - 60,000 cars in a quarter @ $500. a quick $30 million. Some will take black but figure in the extra $500 a few weeks back for MCR and White - you'll get a good average of $500 a car probably.

I'm OK if my stock goes up more tomorrow.

#24 ·
Well I was thinking of changing my color, only bc I feel like the obsidian black is not getting made. Now I’ll for sure stay with what I have instead of paying more.

#51 ·
Well I was thinking of changing my color, only bc I feel like the obsidian black is not getting made. Now I'll for sure stay with what I have instead of paying more.
I was considering telling my wife about tonight my new purchase and allow her some input into colors, etc., but not if it's going to cost a lot more money.

I'll wait until the Twins game is over (looks like they're winning). Then she'll be in a good mood.

#28 ·
I figure this will cut down on the churn of folks switching up their orders. If you were considering dropping down from AWD to RWD, it's now not going to save you as much money. And if you change your mind after that…

#29 ·
Glad I'm going with black.

Beyond the extra $200 doc and delivery, they'll be squeezing another $1k for me for AWD, though. Assuming I actually pull the trigger on it. I went from huge AWD advocate to grumbling after I saw how much of a hit they took on their EPA efficiency ratings.

Then again, who knows what their price structure will be by the time they come to Europe ;)

Also, they're taking the concept of "doc and delivery fees" too far. Everyone charges them, but at these prices it's just going to seem like a backdoor base price hike, and increasingly hard to defend. Does anyone else in the industry charge this much?

Lastly: everyone assumes that this is about profitability. But it could also be about compensating for the price hits to their manufacturing business from the tariffs.

#34 ·
Lastly: everyone assumes that this is about profitability. But it could also be about compensating for the price hits to their manufacturing business from the tariffs.
Not sure how reliable this is, but article in the morning paper speculated the recently announced plan to lower CAFE standards may wipe out EV credits that Tesla has used profitably. Of course, that depends on denying states (California & others) the right to have separate, higher mileage standards, so not near a done deal.

#36 ·
The car is new and they’re figuring out what works. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more changes soon in either direction. The beauty of direct to consumer and having full control is that it’s very easy for them to tinker.

#37 ·
The car is new and they're figuring out what works. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more changes soon in either direction. The beauty of direct to consumer and having full control is that it's very easy for them to tinker.
Sez the guy who already bought *his* car. :D

#38 ·
M3OC members,

After not being able to get a solid answer from TESLA since its fairly new,

Do you guys know if the 18" AERO wheels will fit the Performance MODEL 3 with Performance upgrade (bigger rotors and RED calipers)

Thanks in advance

#40 ·
M3OC members,

After not being able to get a solid answer from TESLA since its fairly new,

Do you guys know if the 18" AERO wheels will fit the Performance MODEL 3 with Performance upgrade (bigger rotors and RED calipers)

Thanks in advance
Pretty sure it has been decided that they will not fit (but maybe ask in the performance thread instead of the paint increase price thread ;))

#39 ·
My guess on price increases are they are setting up for price decreases after the tax credit phase out begins. But I've been consistently wrong on not just the magnitude but the direction of price changes so far.

#47 ·
#53 ·
She's had red vehicles before, but it's been a LONG time since I had one (and now I'm having another one).

She didn't like the brandy (saddle leather brown) interior in her Encore, but that's the only way she'd get the black cherry exterior and premium features. Everyone else loves it So pretty sure she'll hate my white interior, but maybe it'll grow on her too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.