Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts
I haven't ordered because I have an Audi leased not up until mid '19. I figured it out, and with a 2-4 month delivery I was going to order end of August with idea that I would likely get car Nov/Dec and still get full $7,500 tax deduction. That would also minimize overlap of having both cars. I would still come out better vs. getting the car Jan-June 2019 with 1/2 tax deduction. Now with an extra $1,700 in cost for DMAWD ($1K), paint ($500) and doc fee ($200) it doesn't work anymore. I would think there are many others like myself.

I will be one of these lost sales. I was a definite sale prior to these changes. I believe in capitalism and respect the right of Tesla to make these changes and do not have a problem with what they are doing. I also do not think they'll have a problem with me being a disciplined money manager and passing as the perceived value (to me) is no longer there.
FYI, it's a tax credit, not a tax deduction. ;)

$2000 is quite a lot for a paint option. Most other premium brands charge somewhere between $500-$1000 for paint options.

$2000 is quite a lot for a paint option. Most other premium brands charge somewhere between $500-$1000 for paint options.
not all. the Mercedes S class I just looked up has paint options for free, $795, $2300 and $3950
the AMG coupe $free, $720, $1080, $1515, $3950 and $9900
GLA, $free, $720, $2500
various Audi models: $free, $575, $3900
Porsche Cayenne: $free, $800, $3150

not all. the Mercedes S class I just looked up has paint options for free, $795, $2300 and $3950
the AMG coupe $free, $720, $1080, $1515, $3950 and $9900
GLA, $free, $720, $2500
True, but their $720 metallic colors are similar to the Model 3 $1500 colors. The higher priced paint options are very personalized. My BMW X5 has mineral white metallic similar to the pearl white multicoat and it was only a $550 upgrade compared to the $2000.

Reactions: $ Trillion Musk
True, but their $720 metallic colors are similar to the Model 3 $1500 colors. The higher priced paint options are very personalized. My BMW X5 has mineral white metallic similar to the pearl white multicoat and it was only a $550 upgrade compared to the $2000.
maybe it is regional, but on my commute, the mercedes I see are most all the more expensive colors (not the $9900 AMG, but the $2-$3k colors) much more often than the free or $700-$1000 colors.

maybe it is regional, but on my commute, the mercedes I see are most all the more expensive colors (not the $9900 AMG, but the $2-$3k colors) much more often than the free or $700-$1000 colors.
For example, on the GLA there are 3 free colors, 5 that are $720 and only one that is $2500. On the GLC there are 9 colors that are $720. And two more that are $1080, $1515.

Audi has 2 free color options and 9 more for $575. Only their exclusive paints are $3900 and those are almost custom colors.

Porsche Cayanne's similar with 2 free colors and 8 more for $800. Keep in mind this is also a more premium and larger SUV.

For me, I'm quite disappointed to have to pay a lot for paint that is less durable than normal and arguably less attractive compared to the competition. On top of that - no pun intended - it's essential to add paint protection, which can be a hefty price in itself. Seeing swirl marks, smudges and water spots on a car this expensive would drive me nuts, and I'm leaning towards blue and I live in a 4 season climate zone. I really like light silver as well, but I'd rather have it with a stealth wrap, which costs around $7,000USD with ceramic coating in my location, to make it look less boring than your typical silver car.

I'm seriously thinking about abandoning the paint option entirely and going for a vinyl wrap instead, but I have very little knowledge in this space. Would anyone kindly offer some information and advice especially with regards to OEM color matching, price, insurance, quality, longevity/reliability, or having to peel it off at some point so that it doesn't damage the underlying paint? Would getting the Tesla paint + protection be a better investment?

For me, I'm quite disappointed to have to pay a lot for paint that is less durable than normal and arguably less attractive compared to the competition. On top of that - no pun intended - it's essential to add paint protection, which can be a hefty price in itself. Seeing swirl marks, smudges and water spots on a car this expensive would drive me nuts, and I'm leaning towards blue and I live in a 4 season climate zone. I really like light silver as well, but I'd rather have it with a stealth wrap, which costs around $7,000USD with ceramic coating in my location, to make it look less boring than your typical silver car.

I'm seriously thinking about abandoning the paint option entirely and going for a vinyl wrap instead, but I have very little knowledge in this space. Would anyone kindly offer some information and advice especially with regards to OEM color matching, price, insurance, quality, longevity/reliability, or having to peel it off at some point so that it doesn't damage the underlying paint? Would getting the Tesla paint + protection be a better investment?
Offering a different point of view here -

I think my paint job is gorgeous (had a flaw and Tesla corrected it). I also didn't go with PPF or Ceramic and at the moment do not see the need.

I think there paint prices are high but not insane.

It's all supply and demand. They could just as easily keep the paint prices where they are and raise the premium package by $500.

Question on the doc fee increase: People who ordered before August 2nd when the fee was still $ 1,000, and have taken delivery recently, did you pay $ 1,000 or $ 1,200?
I'm planning on taking delivery this upcoming Monday. My fee is still $1000 (destination $925, documentation $75).

I'm planning on taking delivery this upcoming Monday. My fee is still $1000 (destination $925, documentation $75).
Same here. Picking up on Monday and my fees total $1000.;)

For me, I'm quite disappointed to have to pay a lot for paint that is less durable than normal and arguably less attractive compared to the competition. On top of that - no pun intended - it's essential to add paint protection, which can be a hefty price in itself.
I'm not following you here. Certainly, "attractiveness" is subjective so I'll pass on that comment but do you have any evidence Tesla paint is somehow less durable than the paint other carmakers use?
We put nearly 4,000 miles on our Model 3 before it got so much as a coat of car wax. During the waxing, I prepped it very carefully by hand with deep cleaning liquid in prep for the wax topcoat. During this process, I had the opportunity to inspect the paint very carefully for swirls, rock chips, etc. I feared the worse but was very surprised to find but 2 or 3 minuscule rock impacts on the front bumper/air dam area that were so superficial I can't even call them "chips", more like tiny impact scratches. And no hint of swirls, even under close inspection in various lighting conditions.
The car looks more beautiful than ever after it's first wax job and 4,100 miles and I am really impressed with the initial hardness and durability of the polyurethane paint, not to mention it's depth and beauty. We have the Pearl White Multicoat.
I will not be adding any form of paint protection beyond normal automotive wax because I see no indication it's necessary. If you have information that Tesla uses a paint product that is somehow inferior to the competition, please share the source.

Reactions: Dr. J
Check out the paint prices for the new NSX. lol
Actually not bad - only $700 extra for a few of the colors - makes Tesla look bad for the price of the car. The $6000 upgrade job isn't bad either for a $150K plus car. Especially hand detailed and 20 hours plus for a paint job.

I'm not following you here. Certainly, "attractiveness" is subjective so I'll pass on that comment but do you have any evidence Tesla paint is somehow less durable than the paint other carmakers use?
We put nearly 4,000 miles on our Model 3 before it got so much as a coat of car wax. During the waxing, I prepped it very carefully by hand with deep cleaning liquid in prep for the wax topcoat. During this process, I had the opportunity to inspect the paint very carefully for swirls, rock chips, etc. I feared the worse but was very surprised to find but 2 or 3 minuscule rock impacts on the front bumper/air dam area that were so superficial I can't even call them "chips", more like tiny impact scratches. And no hint of swirls, even under close inspection in various lighting conditions.
The car looks more beautiful than ever after it's first wax job and 4,100 miles and I am really impressed with the initial hardness and durability of the polyurethane paint, not to mention it's depth and beauty. We have the Pearl White Multicoat.
I will not be adding any form of paint protection beyond normal automotive wax because I see no indication it's necessary. If you have information that Tesla uses a paint product that is somehow inferior to the competition, please share the source.
You'll find tons of discussions regarding Tesla's soft paint by doing a google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=tesla+soft+paint&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Many have argued that the paint is softer than normal because of a California law which mandates the use of water based paint mixtures. Others have called this notion of soft paint to be a myth, while some folks have stated real world evidence by comparing various brands of automobiles as stated in posts #19 & #20 here.

That plus the additional $500 I have to pay was enough incentive for me to research other options. I still might change my mind and stick to OEM paint + PPF, that is if I can afford it.

Tesla recently indicated an update on their paint shop so maybe their paint has improved already. Who knows? A comparison between various build years of Teslas could reveal some answers.

Glad to know that you're not having problems with your paint.

P.S. Attractiveness of the paint is indeed subjective. My urge to try non-OEM options is that you can get any color you want, with self healing paint protection, with the ability to change the color after a few years, without damaging the finish, without need for delicate maintenance, for thousands less.

I was quite impressed by the @Daniel S video in which they were able to mimic the silver alpha prototype finish, a $10k paint job, for around $3k-$4k. A similar finish using OEM Silver + PPF + ceramic coating, a la Like Tesla Kim's Apollo 3, would cost me over $8k where I live.

Reactions: Daniel S
61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.