Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts
Elon did say they'd be profitable soon. Here's how he's going to do it.
Keep that stock rolling. I don't know the numbers, just going to grab some - 60,000 cars in a quarter @ $500. a quick $30 million. Some will take black but figure in the extra $500 a few weeks back for MCR and White - you'll get a good average of $500 a car probably.

I'm OK if my stock goes up more tomorrow.

'if'? you know you will
Here is where things are going wrong. IF I had a second one it would have to be standard range. This pricing and my dreaming only works if I bought black and FSD. I truly want FSD on the Long Range the one we already have. A second one is truly a commuter car, the LR would be the trip car and that is where I'd want FSD.

Well I was thinking of changing my color, only bc I feel like the obsidian black is not getting made. Now I’ll for sure stay with what I have instead of paying more.

Keep that stock rolling. I don't know the numbers, just going to grab some - 60,000 cars in a quarter @ $500. a quick $30 million. Some will take black but figure in the extra $500 a few weeks back for MCR and White - you'll get a good average of $500 a car probably.

I'm OK if my stock goes up more tomorrow.
Or people that were waiting to order see prices jacked up and change their mind. That's a lot of lost sales.

Here is where things are going wrong. IF I had a second one it would have to be standard range. This pricing and my dreaming only works if I bought black and FSD. I truly want FSD on the Long Range the one we already have. A second one is truly a commuter car, the LR would be the trip car and that is where I'd want FSD.
I'd want FSD on my commuter. "Take me to work." while I eat breakfast. lol

I'd want FSD on my commuter. "Take me to work." while I eat breakfast. lol
Hadn't thought about it on a daily basis. Maybe that is the way to go.

Reactions: JustTheTip
I figure this will cut down on the churn of folks switching up their orders. If you were considering dropping down from AWD to RWD, it's now not going to save you as much money. And if you change your mind after that…

Glad I'm going with black.

Beyond the extra $200 doc and delivery, they'll be squeezing another $1k for me for AWD, though. Assuming I actually pull the trigger on it. I went from huge AWD advocate to grumbling after I saw how much of a hit they took on their EPA efficiency ratings.

Then again, who knows what their price structure will be by the time they come to Europe ;)

Also, they're taking the concept of "doc and delivery fees" too far. Everyone charges them, but at these prices it's just going to seem like a backdoor base price hike, and increasingly hard to defend. Does anyone else in the industry charge this much?

Lastly: everyone assumes that this is about profitability. But it could also be about compensating for the price hits to their manufacturing business from the tariffs.

There's going to be a LOT of black model 3s out there soon!
At some point, the paint price increases are going to make people consider getting a black car and wrapping it as an alternative.

At some point, the paint price increases are going to make people consider getting a black car and wrapping it as an alternative.
How does a wrap hold up to usual wear and tear?

That is the case of a local guy in the FB group. He has a leased MCR S today, buying a MCR 3 until someone showed him a wrapped car, changed to black in early July so he could wrap. Of course he has essentially another $500 in his pocket today to go toward the wrap.

Time to get in to the wrapping business.

Lastly: everyone assumes that this is about profitability. But it could also be about compensating for the price hits to their manufacturing business from the tariffs.
Not sure how reliable this is, but article in the morning paper speculated the recently announced plan to lower CAFE standards may wipe out EV credits that Tesla has used profitably. Of course, that depends on denying states (California & others) the right to have separate, higher mileage standards, so not near a done deal.

How does a wrap hold up to usual wear and tear?
Here's a walk-around of one of this guy's early wrap jobs.
He admits that he didn't have good technique back then. So it's a little mixed.
It's interesting to see though.

The car is new and they’re figuring out what works. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more changes soon in either direction. The beauty of direct to consumer and having full control is that it’s very easy for them to tinker.

The car is new and they're figuring out what works. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more changes soon in either direction. The beauty of direct to consumer and having full control is that it's very easy for them to tinker.
Sez the guy who already bought *his* car. :D

M3OC members,

After not being able to get a solid answer from TESLA since its fairly new,

Do you guys know if the 18" AERO wheels will fit the Performance MODEL 3 with Performance upgrade (bigger rotors and RED calipers)

Thanks in advance

My guess on price increases are they are setting up for price decreases after the tax credit phase out begins. But I've been consistently wrong on not just the magnitude but the direction of price changes so far.

M3OC members,

After not being able to get a solid answer from TESLA since its fairly new,

Do you guys know if the 18" AERO wheels will fit the Performance MODEL 3 with Performance upgrade (bigger rotors and RED calipers)

Thanks in advance
Pretty sure it has been decided that they will not fit (but maybe ask in the performance thread instead of the paint increase price thread ;))

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.