3D printed J1772 Adapter Thingy

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

P3D4DPA

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am sharing a 32A charger with my spouse and her Chevy Bolt EV and use that Tesla-supplied small adapter for the ChargePoint plug.

It was beginning to be a nuisance to put it in the trunk, have it roll around the centre console, or fear constantly misplacing it in the garage.

So I whipped up a holder in CAD and 3D printed it out.

plug.png

I have attached the files needed if anybody wants to get one made too.
Just do a web search for 3D Printers on your area and send them the stereolith file attached.

Attachments

• tesla plug holder.zip
    378.9 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: 11 people

wackojacko

Country
Country
Cool but what if you need it while out and about to use public level 2 chargers? I guess I'm a bit different as I use mine outside the house more than at home with our Chargepoint (have a leaf as well)

Reactions: 1 person

96s46p

Country
Country
Cool but what if you need it while out and about to use public level 2 chargers? I guess I'm a bit different as I use mine outside the house more than at home with our Chargepoint (have a leaf as well)

Then also print the holder that mounts in the trunk

P3D4DPA

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Yes. It is still early in our EV takeover of the world so each of us may still have far different situations. Although my work does not offer charging during the day, I am spoiled by a short commute and numerous Superchargers here on the Peninsula.

For other situations, here is a little holder for the J1772 adapter that should fit in the centre console.

NB: I plan to print one out this week to confirm so consider this a BETA upload :)

plug2.png

One option is to flock it. No, seriously, you can put on some stuff that will give it the mouse-fur look.

Its called Flocking. No idea why.

https://www.rockler.com/mini-flocker-suede-fibers-and-adhesive-suede-tex-adhesives-black

1543092585881.png
1543092585881.png

Attachments

• tesla plug well.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: 3 people

Nautilus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Please do keep us posted on how the beta for the center console works out. :)

The wall mount version looks very elegant.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Just do a web search for 3D Printers on your area and send them the stereolith file attached.
@P3D4DPA, just wanted to let you know I followed your advice and here is the result:
20190109_203049.jpg 20190109_091831.jpg 20190109_091839.jpg
The best part was doing a web search for local 3D printers. Turns out my local public library has a media center that has three 3D printers. I left the file with them. $5 for materials and a week later (everyone was having things printed for Christmas) I had the bracket. Sweet!

Thanks again for posting the file here. Did you ever print and install the one for the center console?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I printed the centre console holster. Either the size is a tad off or I missed it's intended place lol. I figured based on the size it's intended to fit into the tray under the arm rest. I had to sand maybe 3-5mm off the edge and it fits in nicely.

Reactions: 3 people

P3D4DPA

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
****UPDATED****

Here is the final version for the J1772 adapter holder.

tesla plug holder.png

The 3D print was lower resolution for fitment.

See zip file for stereolith (.stl) file your 3D printer will need.

Please download, print and enjoy.

Attachments

• tesla plug well.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 101
Reactions: 4 people

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
****UPDATED****

View attachment 23841

Awesome! :)

Is it also available on thingiverse?

Nautilus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
never done this before. but currious how much will it cost to 3d print something like this?
It shouldn't be more than $20-$25 (and that is high side I think). I had the wall mount in the first post of this thread printed at my local public library's media lab. They only charge for materials and that was only $5. This one looks to be roughly the same amount of material, and let's quadruple the price if you take it to a for-profit business to do it for you. All this assumes that you don't go out and buy your own 3D printer and do it yourself.

Reactions: 2 people

JeffcM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The local library has a free 3D printer usage, tho it is totally booked up for a couple months.

I did a quick google search and found a place called 3dhubs.com. Seems a bit pricey, but not too bad.

(This is exactly what I've been looking for... I charge at work and need a place to keep the adapter in the car. Currently using a towel in the center console.)

1554707847947.png

dbarrycoyle

Country
Country
I am sharing a 32A charger with my spouse and her Chevy Bolt EV and use that Tesla-supplied small adapter for the ChargePoint plug.

It was beginning to be a nuisance to put it in the trunk, have it roll around the centre console, or fear constantly misplacing it in the garage.

View attachment 18001

I'm printing on up on my Formlabs as I type. Thanks! And great idea!

Nautilus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
****UPDATED****

View attachment 23841

@P3D4DPA , Thanks once again for another nice design. I finally dropped the file off at my local library's media center and about one week later i got the call it was ready to pick up. Set me back a whopping $7. It fits very nicely in the removably tray under the armrest, as shown.

Last edited:

racekarl

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Just be careful, I've read that PLA can deform/melt in the temps that car interiors can reach. May not be an issue for Teslas with cabin overheat protection...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just be careful, I've read that PLA can deform/melt in the temps that car interiors can reach.
Confirmed. My PLA center-console sunglass bin has deformed. This happened during my recent road trips (normally, my car is kept in a garage both at work and at home).

https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-base/pla-vs-abs-whats-difference#heat-resistance
For high temperature applications, ABS (glass transition temperature of 105°C) is more suitable than PLA (glass transition temperature of 60°C). PLA can rapidly lose its structural integrity and can begin to droop and deform, particularly if under load, as it approaches 60°C.

Nautilus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the warnings. I guess time will tell. I do park in my driveway at home, but in a covered garage at work. I do use overheat protection (fan only), so i don't think my car's intererior ever gets above about 115F, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Mzbagel

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Quick favor to ask. Can someone post the dimensions for the 3D print? My library requires the dimensions when printing. Thanks in advance for the help.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.