32 amps vs 40amps

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mudog101

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys I just picked a model 3 and love it so far. Can anyone with real life experience tell me the difference in mileage gained from charging at 40 amps vs 32. So far I'm using the name 14 50 outlet running the spare cable tesla gavegetting 30 miles an hour . Thinking about getting a permanent solution but don't know if 8 amps are worth the price tag. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hey guys I just picked a model 3 and love it so far. Can anyone with real life experience tell me the difference in mileage gained from charging at 40 amps vs 32. So far I'm using the name 14 50 outlet running the spare cable tesla gavegetting 30 miles an hour . Thinking about getting a permanent solution but don't know if 8 amps are worth the price tag. Any info would be great.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum and congrats!
Hope you’re game to share at least a pic of your nice new set of wheels here:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/members-delivery-photos-thread-no-chatter.5335/

To your question, I think longtime T≡SLA owner & expert @AEDennis ought to be able to address your question as I remember he’s done both on his new Model 3! :)

Scuffers

Country
Country
I have a question.

As people actually have their Model 3's now, are the on-board chargers 40 or 48A?

I realise the supplied UMC's are limited, but what about the actual cars? if you plug them into a Tesla wall connector capable of 48A (or more) what do they charge at? - I'm assuming they have the same 11Kw charger on-board as the S&X but would like some definitive answer.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks
It's really a question of your daily commute. For instance, I drive ~75 miles/day, so 32A charges my car in about 2.5 hours. My car generally sits at home for ~10 hours if not more and in Florida our electrical costs are not variable so I have no perk for quicker / off peak charging. Thus 32A is all I need!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The right question to be asking is: Which one of these cables will get me back out driving my Model 3 quicker? ;)

EDIT: Also, welcome to the forum!

2170pwr

Country
Country
I picked up a Tesla CMC (not UMC) from eBay. Tesla sold them for a while and I found one new for $250. It has a fixed nema 14-50 plug that I can use to charge my Model 3 at 40 A at home and keep the UMC provided by Tesla in the frunk of my car just in case I need to do some AC charging while on the road.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Either way, you should be able to fully recharge overnight...and to be honest, you won't be fully charging on a regular basis anyway. Probably more like 20-50% on a daily basis so it is pretty negligible the benefits of one over the other. I am installing a HPWC (Tesla High Power Wall Charger) more so I don't have to use the portable one that comes with the car on a regular basis. I can keep in the car so it is ready to go when I charge on the road.

Dan

2170pwr

Country
Country
I have a question.

As people actually have their Model 3's now, are the on-board chargers 40 or 48A?

I realise the supplied UMC's are limited, but what about the actual cars? if you plug them into a Tesla wall connector capable of 48A (or more) what do they charge at? - I'm assuming they have the same 11Kw charger on-board as the S&X but would like some definitive answer.
48 amps. But if you are using a NEMA 14-50 your circuit is likely a 50 amp circuit so you are limited to 40 amps continues current ( if you use the old umc, or in you put the Tesla wall charger on this circuit). If you use the provided umc you are limited to 32 amps. You can get 48 amps if you have both a 60 amp circuit and you use a wall charger capable of charging at this current.
Clear as mud?

Truthfully if you are charging over night it doesn’t really matter unless you have a very long daily commute.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you already have a working 240V system set up to charge your car, it probably won’t be worth paying to upgrade it, you won’t notice much difference the way most people use their cars. But if your were doing a new install, sure do a 48A HPWC!

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To answer the questions visually... YMMV (state of charge, etc.)

As @Michael Russo remembered... I've posted these pictures on tweets since December...

48 Amps on LR at home HPWC (It's wired to go to 56 for our S or Roadster. Too costly to get the 100A wire to run dual chargers on the S, so went to 70A wire)

Untitled
by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

32 Amps on UMC (at the office, so commercial 208V feed, not 240V)

Untitled

40 Amps on UMC (at the office, so commercial 208V feed, not 240V)

Untitled

Aside from running the UMC at home at 240V, what's also missing in my common charging is 30A/240V from my (about two weeks away) six year old Couloumb Technologies (ChargePoint now) CT-500. That gets similar recovery as 32A/208V.

One thing to note is how bad the Vampire Drain is on the Model 3 vs a Model S since the car doesn't sleep. It does not have the setting that I like to use on our S to have the systems sleep until woken up. It's always connected at the moment.

Scuffers

Country
Country
Thanks for the pictures etc.

So, effectively, they have the same chargers as the S&X then (and as we have yet to see a NON-LR Model 3, we still don't actually know 100% what it will have?)

Personally, I would love to have the equivalent to the old S dual charger option, I have 100A 3 phase avaliable, so running 32A 3 phase would get me ~22Kw charging.

Also, a lot of public level 2 chargers here are 32A 3 phase.

Mind you, according to Tesla, I still have another year to wait for my M3 (UK), so who knows what will have changed?

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the pictures etc.

So, effectively, they have the same chargers as the S&X then (and as we have yet to see a NON-LR Model 3, we still don't actually know 100% what it will have?)

Personally, I would love to have the equivalent to the old S dual charger option, I have 100A 3 phase avaliable, so running 32A 3 phase would get me ~22Kw charging.

Also, a lot of public level 2 chargers here are 32A 3 phase.

Mind you, according to Tesla, I still have another year to wait for my M3 (UK), so who knows what will have changed?
I think that Tesla is trying to "motivate" M3 owners that charge publicly to use DCFC (and prefer that it be the Tesla Supercharger network.)

Scuffers

Country
Country
that's great unless you live somewhere that SC network simply does not cover.

In the UK, they are few and far between, and as 99% of the places I go daily have 3 phase, it would suit my needs better, being able to charge at ~90mi/Hr would be terrific.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up a Tesla CMC (not UMC) from eBay. Tesla sold them for a while and I found one new for $250. It has a fixed nema 14-50 plug that I can use to charge my Model 3 at 40 A at home and keep the UMC provided by Tesla in the frunk of my car just in case I need to do some AC charging while on the road.
That's a great find. My wife and I want to do the same thing for the same exact reason, but I'd been searching ebay for gen 1 UMC's... sounds like I need to look for the CMC. Thank you for the information!

Mudog101

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick with the mobile charger until I find a used one of ebay. Was just trying to justify the cost for 8 more miles an hour. Lol