3 areas giving me a lot of trouble (trim)

mcot222

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have 3 areas in my car giving me a lot of trouble, the b-pillar trim on the drivers side, the trim peice down by the pedals and the lip of the trunk. Videos of each area are below.

I have been to Tesla service twice about the B-Pillar and once about the trunk. Each time they are able to pop things back into place but they end up popping back out again. On the B-Pillar trim, I have no idea what the clips inside even do, they don’t seem to latch onto anything.

I’m looking for any suggestions or if anyone has had any better luck with Tesla service let me know.

B-Pillar Trim:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahoy1s94762wcdr/tesla_bpillartrim.MOV?dl=0

Bottom Trim:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzjrlunvj2vtw35/tesla_bottomtrim.MOV?dl=0

Trunk Lip:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kn5tgpxuufamvh/tesla_trunktrim.MOV?dl=0

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
For the interior trim pieces this is a very very common problem on any car that has had those pieces removed prior, then re-installed improperly.
What happens is the clips and tabs used to snap them into place are really only designed for one-time use from the factory. The metal clips pull off the plastic tabs, or the plastic tabs get bent over or broken, or several other issues that lead to exactly what you're dealing with.
If you remove those trim pieces altogether and look at how they are attached you'll see exactly what's happening. Sometimes you can straighten things out and get them to snap back in properly, but sometimes you'll need to get replacement clips. It's a serious PITA and the bain of every automotive professional that has to remove trim pieces for whatever reason.

mcot222

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the interior trim pieces this is a very very common problem on any car that has had those pieces removed prior, then re-installed improperly.
What happens is the clips and tabs used to snap them into place are really only designed for one-time use from the factory. The metal clips pull off the plastic tabs, or the plastic tabs get bent over or broken, or several other issues that lead to exactly what you're dealing with.
If you remove those trim pieces altogether and look at how they are attached you'll see exactly what's happening. Sometimes you can straighten things out and get them to snap back in properly, but sometimes you'll need to get replacement clips. It's a serious PITA and the bain of every automotive professional that has to remove trim pieces for whatever reason.

Thanks! Any idea how to get new clips and reinstall? I think I found a video on how to remove the trim piece fully.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably need to call the mothership for the specific ones on our cars...generic ones may or may not work for you.

akdnj88

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the rear bumper issue, you may want to lift up the weather seal, push the bumper in fully, then re-seat the weather stripping seal on top of the bumper rather than tucked in. That fixed that issue for many people.