265/40/18 on the aero wheels? Anybody have a pic?

oripaamoni

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anybody else excited to replace the all seasons on your aeros with something a bit grippier?? Thinking of doing a stagered setup with 265/40/18 in the rear and 235/45/18 in the front. The stock tire size looks a bit stretched on the rim so the 265 might look nice in the back, plus the bigger contact patch and a Michelin 4S should suppress the traction control a bit.

Should be getting the UP moderates installed next Monday.

Attachments

TSLAholic

Country
Country
Great minds think alike! My only concern is that the 4S in 265 section width calls for a minimum wheel width of 9".
Aeros are 8.5" wide, so you may get some grief if you choose to have them shipped to the Tesla service center to have installed. I just hope they don't get picky if we ever brought our cars in for service or any type of drive train warranty concern with the tires already installed.
I'm scheduled to take delivery of my P3D next Friday, and I still have no clue whether the car will come with 4S tires or the same all seasons that RWD cars get when configured with the 18" aeros.

TSLAholic

Country
Country
Well, now that I glanced over the latest tire tech thread posts, I'm starting to question the whole staggered setup.
The observations made were based on the RWD car, so it remains to be seen how the dual motor cars' weight distribution will affect their handling response of a staggered vs square setup.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why not 255/40/18 all around?
I am looking to do 255/40/18 all around with the 4S tires with a set of Enkei RPF at 8.5 wide for the summer season. Not sure what the best wheel offset is? I was reading that if I ever wanted to do autocross, I only can change offsets by 7mm and have to stay to the same wheel width for the stock, I believe they call street classification. I wasn't ready to jump to a autocross tire that would limit daily driving ability. My only other consideration is the other performance Enkei 18 wheels that would allow bigger rotors in the future but with an additional 1-2 lb increase at each wheel. Interested to see what others think?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am looking to do 255/40/18 all around with the 4S tires with a set of Enkei RPF at 8.5 wide for the summer season. Not sure what the best wheel offset is? I was reading that if I ever wanted to do autocross, I only can change offsets by 7mm and have to stay to the same wheel width for the stock, I believe they call street classification. I wasn't ready to jump to a autocross tire that would limit daily driving ability. My only other consideration is the other performance Enkei 18 wheels that would allow bigger rotors in the future but with an additional 1-2 lb increase at each wheel. Interested to see what others think?
The other option was the Enkei PF01s for clarification

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Firstsportscarat40 I'm planning to get Enkei RPF1 or PF01 in 18x9 and 255/40-18 unless I go staggered. Staggered could be 295 on 10.5 wheels at back.

30mm offset is somewhat aggressive, and possibly not within the autocrossing rules for the class you wanted to race in, but it's probably the maximum that would fit up front (with 9 inch wheels and 255s) according to @Mad Hungarian. If you want to stick with rules, get the maximum offset and width allowed for the target class.

I hope to track the car for fun high performance driving days, and probably won't competitively autocross, so don't care about rules, per se.

Regarding stagger, any of the Model 3s could benefit given the high rear wheel torque, but on the other hand, the dual motor are near 50/50 weight distribution front to back, so square wheels could be ok. BMW 3 series also has 50/50 and sometimes use square (same width front and back) on the race track, and those are probably mostly RWD.

Having more rubber/grip/roll stiffness at back generally reduces oversteer. Having relatively more rubber/grip/roll stiffness at front generally reduces understeer.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordered a set of 265/40ZR18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 for my non-P dual motor. I live where it snows, but don't want to mess with a summer/winter set up. These should be better than the stock primacy's for grip in the dry and when it snows as well.
Still haven't seen anyone confirm the fitment, so when I get my car, I'll post a picture when the tires go on.
When looking at tires, I also looked at pilot sport A/S 3+'s, but they are 3 or 4 lbs heavier than the DWS's, and more expensive.

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordered a set of 265/40ZR18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 for my non-P dual motor. I live where it snows, but don't want to mess with a summer/winter set up. These should be better than the stock primacy's for grip in the dry and when it snows as well.
Still haven't seen anyone confirm the fitment, so when I get my car, I'll post a picture when the tires go on.
When looking at tires, I also looked at pilot sport A/S 3+'s, but they are 3 or 4 lbs heavier than the DWS's, and more expensive.
What wheel are you using it on? If the stock wheel, it may fit in terms of offset and fender rub, but didn't the thread above suggest the tire may be too wide for an 8.5 inch wide wheel?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What wheel are you using it on? If the stock wheel, it may fit in terms of offset and fender rub, but didn't the thread above suggest the tire may be too wide for an 8.5 inch wide wheel?
Stock 18" Aero.
The primacy's are 0.7" narrower tread width vs wheel width, the DWS are 0.7" wider tread width vs wheel width.
I confirmed with the local discount tire that they will mount it on this size rim, and don't see an issue with it being on a slightly narrow rim vs the approved width.
Worst case is they can't mount it and I buy some 18x9.5s. Best case it just works.
If I go with new wheels, I'm keeping the offset at +40, maybe +35 at most.

I strongly considered, but didn't want to go with the 255 options. The 255 40 is smaller outside diameter, and the 255 45 was larger and had a significantly higher rotational moment of inertia compared to stock (based on simplified calculations).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Stock 18" Aero.
The primacy's are 0.7" narrower tread width vs wheel width, the DWS are 0.7" wider tread width vs wheel width.
I confirmed with the local discount tire that they will mount it on this size rim
Awesome. Thanks for taking the plunge and being the first to try this.
Please share some pictures one you have them mounted and on the car. :)

I'm also curious to find out how the less-stretched tire affects cornering - my intuition says that it's going to bend a lot sideways under hard cornering, which will result in some delay on turn-in, but it would be good to determine if that really happens.

It should definitely help prevent you from getting road rash on your rims. :cool:

Country
Country
Getting 265/40/18 on the stock aeros is the plan when I need new tires. Thinking I might need a 2mm-3mm spacer for the front in case it doesn't clear the suspension with stock 40mm offset. If all works out, then later I'll be getting some WedsSport SA10R in 18x9.5 with 38mm offset square for all 4 corners. I know it comes in 18x8.5, but I want that concave look. Basically like the same setup as the member in Hawaiii who got the same spec wheels and tires in Enkei Rpf01.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome. Thanks for taking the plunge and being the first to try this.
Please share some pictures one you have them mounted and on the car. :)

I'm also curious to find out how the less-stretched tire affects cornering - my intuition says that it's going to bend a lot sideways under hard cornering, which will result in some delay on turn-in, but it would be good to determine if that really happens.

It should definitely help prevent you from getting road rash on your rims. :cool:
Well, I ended up getting an awesome deal on a set of konig 18x9 rims, and it was easier to sell the stock wheels as a full set with tires.

20180930_174958-jpg.15443
20180930_175054-jpg.15444

These are 18x9 +40 Konig Rennform flow forged rims with 265/40ZR18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. Ended up being a few pounds per corner lighter than the stock set up.
The tire bulge is good, and these would probably have worked on the stock rims just fine, but in the end I wanted something different than the aero wheels, and something that if I needed to pursue warranty on, was within the recommended range.

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hard to tell, but it sorta looks like a side effect (hehe) might be protection from curb rash? Does the tire extend beyond the edge of the wheel?

TSLAholic

Country
Country
Thanks! That's about the type of bulge I expect to see from 255 section width tires on the aero wheels.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hard to tell, but it sorta looks like a side effect (hehe) might be protection from curb rash? Does the tire extend beyond the edge of the wheel?
20181003_160407-jpg.15465

Yes, but there is still chance for curb rash, just not as easy as the stock wheels.

Thanks! That's about the type of bulge I expect to see from 255 section width tires on the aero wheels.
This is 265 on a 9 inch wide wheel. Pretty equivalent to 255 in an 8.5 inch wide wheel. The problem is that for the 255, you are either going up or down in overall diameter.

For me 245 was not wide enough, 255 had the diameter problem, and 265 needs the wider rim. I figured I'd eventually get new wheels, why not just do that right away.

Bov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 15465

Yes, but there is still chance for curb rash, just not as easy as the stock wheels.

This is 265 on a 9 inch wide wheel. Pretty equivalent to 255 in an 8.5 inch wide wheel. The problem is that for the 255, you are either going up or down in overall diameter.

For me 245 was not wide enough, 255 had the diameter problem, and 265 needs the wider rim. I figured I'd eventually get new wheels, why not just do that right away.

Did you mount 265mm on front too?