255s tire square set up

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone installed 255/40/19 tires, square set up on a non-lowered M3 AWD?

Getting 19x8.5 +30mm wheels and wanted to know if I'm going to have any rubbing issues or interference from the suspension & calipers if I try to stuff 255/40/19 Michelin Pilot S4S. I know everyone is saying 245/40/19 will not have any issues, but I'm trying to go a little wider to get flush with the front fenders. I even used an offset comparison chart and the closest issue I will have is the inner sidewall, but it would actually be 0.4" further away from the suspension. But I don't know about the fenders when at full lock

I already pulled the trigger on the wheels, so now it's just the tires. Any info would be appreciated!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You should not have an issue at all. 255 with that offset should look flush. Especially on 8.5s.

To add...
255s are a good alternative to 245s if you are concerned about potholes in your area. They have slightly more sidewall and the diameter is larger than the stock 19 tire diameter. Considering you have no lowering springs it helps reduce the gap as well. This was my typical setup on many Audis over the years. A solid choice IMO that does not sacrifice performance and can manage as an all-year round setup in colder climates.

Last edited:

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ended up getting 245s because I wasn't so sure I wouldn't have any issues. They haven't been mounted yet since I am still waiting for the wheels. May see if Tire rack would do a return if I don't drive on them...

or I may just do the 245s and when I need new tires go with the 255s. Thanks for the info!

beastmode13

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is the tool I use to understand the dimensional changes with different tire sizes. https://tiresize.com/calculator/

My stock tire size is 235/35/20. Currently, I'm leaning toward 255/40/19 instead of 265/35/19 for these efficiency reasons.

1. 255 is a 7.5% increase in width compares to 265 at 11.8% increase. While both options will negatively affect the range of the 3. 255 will be a bit more efficient for daily driving while providing the increase traction for occasional track use.
2. 255 is 1.9% larger in overall diameter, which will improve the efficiency by a bit. 746 revolutions of the tire/wheel for a mile, compare to 762 revolutions for the stock 235/35/20 and 767 revs for 265/35/19.
3. 255/40/19 is one pound lighter than 265/35/19.

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is the tool I use to understand the dimensional changes with different tire sizes. https://tiresize.com/calculator/

My stock tire size is 235/35/20. Currently, I'm leaning toward 255/40/19 instead of 265/35/19 for these efficiency reasons.

1. 255 is a 7.5% increase in width compares to 265 at 11.8% increase. While both options will negatively affect the range of the 3. 255 will be a bit more efficient for daily driving while providing the increase traction for occasional track use.
2. 255 is 1.9% larger in overall diameter, which will improve the efficiency by a bit. 746 revolutions of the tire/wheel for a mile, compare to 762 revolutions for the stock 235/35/20 and 767 revs for 265/35/19.
Yes, I used a similar tire calculator to see what the size difference would be compared to OEM tires. I am aware of the increases, I just wanted to know if these increases affected overall fitment on the car (i.e. if anyone experienced any issues with the brake/caliper or fender) with the bigger tires.

beastmode13

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
MPP uses a square setup of 275/35/19 on Advan Racing RG3 +35mm without reporting any problem on their 3.

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
MPP uses a square setup of 275/35/19 on Advan Racing RG3 +35mm without reporting any problem on their 3.
Yeah that's what I've heard. They said they haven't had any issues on a track set up so I would imagine they wouldn't have any on normal street driving.

Ended up putting 245/40/19 on the car today. Ran into some issues with the TPMS sensor/valve stem and will post in the aftermarket wheels thread

Chaz A

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ended up putting 245/40/19 on the car today. Ran into some issues with the TPMS sensor/valve stem and will post in the aftermarket wheels thread
Question: interested in getting an update on how your 245/40/19 tire setup is working. Currently running the stock 235/40/19 on M3 LR AWD. Does the slightly wider tire profile offer any protection for the rims? Do the TPMS sensors still work?

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Chaz, I'm loving my setup. Having no issues with the 245s, and actually, after seeing some other posts, think I could have gone a little wider with 255s. But I am experiencing NO rubbing issues with 245/40. I achieved the look I was going for. I was charging last month, and another owner thought I dropped the car since the gap between the tires and fender has been reduced because of the bigger sidewall. I also went with 19 x 8.5 +33 offset wheels and I think I've pushed out the tires/wheels far enough out where it sits almost flush with the fenders. Rear could have used a little more offset but I didn't want to go with staggered set up.

I'll post some pics tonight after work.

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Question: interested in getting an update on how your 245/40/19 tire setup is working. Currently running the stock 235/40/19 on M3 LR AWD. Does the slightly wider tire profile offer any protection for the rims? Do the TPMS sensors still work?
See pics. Sorry if these don't look right, I didn't have a chance to edit the pics in RAW before exporting to JPEG. Took these pics on my DSLR

Attachments

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Chaz, I'm loving my setup. Having no issues with the 245s, and actually, after seeing some other posts, think I could have gone a little wider with 255s. But I am experiencing NO rubbing issues with 245/40. I achieved the look I was going for. I was charging last month, and another owner thought I dropped the car since the gap between the tires and fender has been reduced because of the bigger sidewall. I also went with 19 x 8.5 +33 offset wheels and I think I've pushed out the tires/wheels far enough out where it sits almost flush with the fenders. Rear could have used a little more offset but I didn't want to go with staggered set up.

I'll post some pics tonight after work.
How about efficiency / range loss?

Any noticeable improvement in handling, traction or ride quality?

What wheels did you go with and any idea of the difference in weight compared to stock?

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

You might find this online calculator a bit more helpful and more detailed for anything more than a tire swap: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

And here's a full listing of all the Model 3 OEM wheel specs: https://tsportline.com/blogs/owners-guide/the-tesla-model-3-wheel-guide

To get the full picture of any wheel/tire change you really need all the variables including offsets and weights.

Chaz A

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
See pics. Sorry if these don't look right, I didn't have a chance to edit the pics in RAW before exporting to JPEG. Took these pics on my DSLR

View attachment 19389 View attachment 19390 View attachment 19391 View attachment 19392 View attachment 19393 View attachment 19394
Thanks so much for the pix. The profile of the tire vs the rim is illustrated well, and I'm sold on the 245, if not the 255. Your M3 is gorgeous by the way, love the contrasts and the yellow brake housing.

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That appears to give you a few mm of tire sticking out past the wheel edge. Hopefully that helps protect you from curb rash.
Typically, yes, but versus a curved curb...no. It hurt my soul when I heard the crunch. Luckily it wasn't too bad, but you can see it took out a chunk of the tire and spared more of my rim. Could have been worse

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How about efficiency / range loss?

Any noticeable improvement in handling, traction or ride quality?

What wheels did you go with and any idea of the difference in weight compared to stock?
Correction. Wheels have +30 offset, and they are MRR Groundforce 7 wheels.
Haven't really noticed any major range/efficiency loss with new setup

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks so much for the pix. The profile of the tire vs the rim is illustrated well, and I'm sold on the 245, if not the 255. Your M3 is gorgeous by the way, love the contrasts and the yellow brake housing.
Thanks. I saw a lot of stormtrooper looks with red calipers and I wanted to try something different. I'm liking the yellow calipers, and debating whether to get the legacy black with yellow lettering license plate when I decide to put the plate on.

Yeah I'm happy with the 245, but may try 255 on my next set up when I'm done with these tires

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Typically, yes, but versus a curved curb...no. It hurt my soul when I heard the crunch. Luckily it wasn't too bad, but you can see it took out a chunk of the tire and spared more of my rim. Could have been worse

View attachment 19617
Ouch!

I've currently got 245's on 8"-wide wheels, so my tire should stick out a bit further from the wheel. I'll be paying more attention next to curved curbs though.