245/40-R19 performance comparison

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

RyanH

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,

I have been running 245/40-R19 tires for a while, and wanted to compare my range specs with others to see if I’m taking a bigger hit that I thought I would. Came from 18” Aero wheels.

O.E. Tire weight: 25lbs.
OE wheel weight with cover: 23lbs

Who else is running this size tire? Have the EV wheel direct wheels. 19” - 29 lbs

Only a 6 lb total difference between o.e and the New ones.. and new ones .5 inch bigger diameter, and 1 cm wider.

Did a x-country between Colorado and California via i80 and average around 320 wh/mi... seems high, but you also drive about 80 mph the whole time.

Tires:
continental
Pure Contact LS
245 /40 R19 98V XL BSW - 25 lbs

image-jpg.19664
image-jpg.19665

Last edited:

hamtonp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Compared to 18"? That's kind of expected. About 10% I assume.

I'm curious to know if your 0-60 has improved due to the larger overall diameter.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,

I have been running 245/40-R19 tires for a while, and wanted to compare my range specs with others to see if I’m taking a bigger hit that I thought I would. Who else is running this size tire? Have the EV wheel direct wheels.
Based on the rim weights alone I would expect you would lose some range, but combined with a wider tire this loss may be exaggerated. Plus if you check different tires you'll see an additional swing of 1-3 pounds typically depending on the performance type and or compound.

I am considering running the same size tires, but IF I do I'm going to try and match about the Aero weight in a 19" style wheel.

EV Wheels Direct: 19x8.5" +35 = 29.3lbs
OEM "Sport Wheels": 19x8.5 +40 = 25.0lbs
OEM Aero Wheels: 18x8.5 + 40 = 21.6lbs

https://tsportline.com/blogs/owners-guide/the-tesla-model-3-wheel-guide

Wizard

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you did.

I have he 19'' OEM wheels/tires and I usually get around 240 wh/mi. In some cases, as low as 200 wh/mi and I drive like there's no tomorrow at same speed as you (sometimes faster).

The major hit would be in the sprung weight of the wheels. 16 lbs. total may be what is slowing you down. That will also affect your 0-60.

Take care.