22kw & Model 3?

Country
Country
I went to leccy.net for a rough ballpark on a 22 kw charger - If you choose type 2 - 22kw is struck through and only 11 kw available with the following
"
Some power ratings have been capped to the amount your selected car is able to accept.
"
- is this based on data or is it inaccurate? I'd like to be able to fast and rapid charge outside of the tesla network as needed

Country
Country
apologies for any confusion , I meant public charging not charging at home. leccy.net suggests the three will only get 11kw from a 22kw public charger...

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe the Model 3 LR is capable of 48A (11.5 kw), while the Model 3 SR is capable of 32A (7.7 kw). I'm sure someone will correct me if I remember incorrectly.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah the thing to remember is the actual charger is inside of the car and dictates the maximum charging speed. What we usually call 'chargers' are just 'electric vehicle supply equipment(s)' and just negotiate the charge rate with the car and provide the power. You can upgrade a Model S to have 2 chargers so it can take advantage of ~20KW level2 charging. I've found 20KW level2 to be pretty rare, I've only got one in my area. Found most are just 3.3 or 6.6.

To get anything beyond is going to be DC so you'd either need a Supercharger or a Chademo connection (which caps out at 50KW at most stations).

Country
Country
sorry , slightly dense this morning. If its a public AC charger, you'd get 7 or 11 dependent on the model. If its DC , I assume you would get the full whack?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
sorry , slightly dense this morning. If its a public AC charger, you'd get 7 or 11 dependent on the model. If its DC , I assume you would get the full whack?
No, this is not correct either (assuming I understand what you mean by "the full whack").

If you go to a public DC charger (e.g. Supercharger or CHAdeMO), the car will request a certain amount of current (around 300A for a Tesla), and the charger will supply what it's able to. In the case of many CHAdeMO chargers for example (near me anyway), you're going to be limited to around 100A, which "only" gives 40kW of charging power. A standard Supercharger will usually be able to supply the full requested 300A, but you will be limited if there is a car in the adjacent stall. The new urban Superchargers have a lower max power rating as well.

(Note I am being technically imprecise by mixing my use of the word "power" and AMPS as units of current--the car requests and the charger supplies a given amount of CURRENT, but it's easier to think of in terms of the power being transferred).

Country
Country
Whatever the charger & car can both handle.

I don't know if we've actually heard a maximum DC-charge rate for the model 3. So far, it sounds like the Model 3 has a lower supercharging limit than the Model S & X.
https://electrek.co/2017/08/02/tesla-model-3-charging-options/
good to know . that site is referring to a/c then - it was a bit of a worry for me - I always assumed the 3 would behave in a similar manner to the model S / X on a 22kw DC....was just a little concerned on the calculation on that website. I'll likely use DC fast / rapid chargers more heavily out of convenience/ tiny cost factor (free charging still in Ireland)

@NOGA$4ME just meant achieving close to the 22kw on a public dc charger. All other factors remaining equal - be nice if it matched the zoe.

Last edited:

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know if we've actually heard a maximum DC-charge rate for the model 3. So far, it sounds like the Model 3 has a lower supercharging limit than the Model S & X.
https://electrek.co/2017/08/02/tesla-model-3-charging-options/
Yes, they do advertise the same "170 miles in 30 minutes" charge rate for the long range M3, but since the M3 uses less energy to go that 170 miles, it would indicate less power.

Back of the envelope calculations show that (170 miles / 0.5 hours) * (254 Wh / mile) = 86.36kW

Since the M3's battery pack has a slightly lower voltage than the MS, the amount of current it accepts is not proportionally lower, but rather looks to be about 250A.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since the M3's battery pack has a slightly lower voltage than the MS, the amount of current it accepts is not proportionally lower, but rather looks to be about 250A.
Also, it would appear that the standard range Model 3 will have an even lower supercharging rate.

Mark C

Country
Country
Also, it would appear that the standard range Model 3 will have an even lower supercharging rate.
This should give me more time to enjoy the pricier machines on our once a year road trip, while {relatively speaking} slow Supercharging our 3.

On a side note, if I connect to a Supercharger that is already in use by a P100D, it won't slow their charge down as much as if I had a LR 3.:D