save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is certainly true. Not so sure that Tesla has to allow you to delay without cause, or that they have to agree with a refusal to accept delivery. In both of those cases they could cancel your order(likely refunding the order fee) and put you at the back of the line and subject to current pricing structure.
You have a great point. They could do anything short of forcing you to complete the transaction. Generally speaking throughout their history they have allowed people to delay cars and reject delivery and just shuffle those cars to someone else in line.

• Agree
Reactions: FRC

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla can't force you to take the car. You can always delay. You can even show up to delivery and reject the car. Your order remains with the pricing in tact. Then if the credit hits and Tesla increases prices even more you're still locked in. If you do cancel, you lose the $250 order fee.

Tesla doesn't need to force anything considering they're backordered till mid-2022 for most cars. What they can do is sell your car to someone else if you don't want it and cancel your order altogether (refunding the order fee) and forcing you to either A.) get back in the very long line and paying the higher cost or B.) buying an inferior product from someone else.

Some people will look at that credit and either know they don't qualify or not care for it so cars will still move off the shelves this year. Tesla is essentially aiming the the remaining inventory of 2021 towards that customer base. Everyone else that wants the credit, get in the very long line waiting for you in 2022.

slacker775

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Per the order agreement, they can cancel your order and keep the order fee to cover their ‘processing and handling’. Would they? Different story. I would suspect they wouldn’t bother cancelling it because then you might wander off to a different vendor. It’s not like they would be stuck with the car.

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Per the order agreement, they can cancel your order and keep the order fee to cover their ‘processing and handling’. Would they? Different story. I would suspect they wouldn’t bother cancelling it because then you might wander off to a different vendor. It’s not like they would be stuck with the car.
Per the same agreement, they have to provide a car without defects. So the buyer is at an advantage considering you can find practically any minor issue and consider it a defect. Tesla doesn't care as they'd rather let you off for the $250 and not only sell your car to another buyer, but force people into next year where they'll continue to mark up the vehicles (essentially getting more of that sweet sweet tax credit for themselves).

Relevant part of the agreement:
Limitation of Liability. We are not liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of this Agreement. Your sole and exclusive remedy under this Agreement will be limited to reimbursement of your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.

Last edited:

Gary(SF)

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
This is certainly true. Not so sure that Tesla has to allow you to delay without cause, or that they have to agree with a refusal to accept delivery. In both of those cases they could cancel your order(likely refunding the order fee) and put you at the back of the line and subject to current pricing structure.
I asked Tesla support folks (the text contact they supply you with) and they said it's easy to put the delivery date on hold to 1/1/22, the car will be produced on the normal pre-hold schedule, and delivered in January, or earlier if it looks like the credit will not go through by 1/1 and I decide to take the car immediately after production.

Reactions: Bigriver

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I've lost track of where we stand with new EV tax credits. I have an M3LR coming in December and wonder if I should consider delaying delivery to January.
I have been updating the first post with developments of the tax credit as this has unfolded. I have not been able to find any links claiming to be the version that the house approved today. The latest I’m aware of is a Nov 3 version, which is the last update to post #1. We will see how the Senate modifies it.

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla doesn't need to force anything considering they're backordered till mid-2022 for most cars. What they can do is sell your car to someone else if you don't want it and cancel your order altogether (refunding the order fee) and forcing you to either A.) get back in the very long line and paying the higher cost or B.) buying an inferior product from someone else.

Some people will look at that credit and either know they don't qualify or not care for it so cars will still move off the shelves this year. Tesla is essentially aiming the the remaining inventory of 2021 towards that customer base. Everyone else that wants the credit, get in the very long line waiting for you in 2022.

Model 3 Long Range (car in question) for both myself and the individual I replied to has ~2-3 week backlog right now.

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Model 3 Long Range (car in question) for both myself and the individual I replied to has ~2-3 week backlog right now.
Interestingly Tesla no longer shows delivery estimates.

Also, when did the 1 year premium connectivity become 30 days?

slacker775

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Per the same agreement, they have to provide a car without defects. So the buyer is at an advantage considering you can find practically any minor issue and consider it a defect. Tesla doesn't care as they'd rather let you off for the $250 and not only sell your car to another buyer, but force people into next year where they'll continue to mark up the vehicles (essentially getting more of that sweet sweet tax credit for themselves).

Relevant part of the agreement:
Limitation of Liability. We are not liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of this Agreement. Your sole and exclusive remedy under this Agreement will be limited to reimbursement of your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.
IANAL but I have spent more time parsing legalese than I would ever like and can confidently state ‘damages’ in this clause isn’t panel gaps or paint chips. At least not in a direct fashion. It’s basically if everything goes sideways, the best you are gonna do is get your initial money back. You aren’t going to get extra $$ for emotional distress or whatever other stuff you can conjure up.

They can not ‘force’ a vehicle on you, but if you won’t accept the vehicle and it’s just some real minor thing, they can decide you are just to difficult to deal with and cancel the deal. I suspect they reserve that ability for folks that are just impossible to please.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X

30 days has always been the premium connectivity trial for standard range, then they shortened it from 1 year to 30 days for long range some time within past 2 months.

I don’t know why you’re not seeing delivery estimates…. Here is what I just got:
FA0ECCCE-9B84-48A6-8A9A-609918D0F401.jpeg
08FCA03A-2086-40EF-8A4E-D4A5C060DAF6.jpeg

Reactions: iChris93

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
IANAL but I have spent more time parsing legalese than I would ever like and can confidently state ‘damages’ in this clause isn’t panel gaps or paint chips. At least not in a direct fashion. It’s basically if everything goes sideways, the best you are gonna do is get your initial money back. You aren’t going to get extra $$ for emotional distress or whatever other stuff you can conjure up.

They can not ‘force’ a vehicle on you, but if you won’t accept the vehicle and it’s just some real minor thing, they can decide you are just to difficult to deal with and cancel the deal. I suspect they reserve that ability for folks that are just impossible to please.
Yeah, absolutely agreed no one is entitled to anything more then the order fee if they don’t accept the vehicle for whatever reason (or in the sense you’d just make up a reason). Just meant that the order fee is refundable.

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
30 days has always been the premium connectivity trial for standard range, then they shortened it from 1 year to 30 days for long range some time within past 2 months.

I don’t know why you’re not seeing delivery estimates…. Here is what I just got:
View attachment 40512 View attachment 40513
It’s showing now, could have been a cached bug. Either way, outside the perf, it’s 2022.

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Hmm… yeah Model 3 Long Range just slipped to January. Guess that takes 2-3 weeks up to 5-9 weeks suddenly. My bet is that this has something to do with timing the tax credit now.

As for premium connectivity, it’s a very recent thing that they expanded the downgraded term beyond just the standard range vehicle.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
This says that Tesla set Dec 2 as a deadline for people who have been delaying delivery of their vehicle for at least 6 months…. Move forward to take delivery of next car offered to you or have your order cancelled. Not clear how the 6 months is counted… from time order was placed or when someone placed a hold on their order, or some other demarcation.

slacker775

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This says that Tesla set Dec 2 as a deadline for people who have been delaying delivery of their vehicle for at least 6 months…. Move forward to take delivery of next car offered to you or have your order cancelled. Not clear how the 6 months is counted… from time order was placed or when someone placed a hold on their order, or some other demarcation.
Ultimately, it could be pretty close to whatever Tesla wants. Iirc, the order agreement gives you like 30 days. They can’t have people placing an order in April, watch the price go up 8k or more and keep pushing out and then get the potential EV credit essentially saving 16k.