2020 Toyota Supra.......What are your thoughts.....

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First and foremost.....I LOVE my P3D and the stealthy power it puts down....surprising ICE'ers all the time......but sometimes the car enthusiast in me definitely misses the sound of a turbocharged engine with an aggresive exhaust note.......Wouldn't change the P3D for anything and it's definitely a keeper......but I have been kicking around the idea of possibly adding a 2020 Supra to the mix........I have always thought the MK4 Supra was an awesome car.....if I had the finances back then ( 90's) would have picked one up no doubt....unfortunately they discontinued the Supra in the late 90's.....well now it's back for 2020 as the MK5 GR Supra......I personally think it looks quite nice........the wifey thinks I'm crazy as I just purchased the P3D........anyhow.....what do you guys/gals think.........

2020-toyota-supra-jpg.20900

2020-toyota-supra-jpg.20901

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually have a ‘97 MKIV twin turbo 6-speed in my garage. Bought it new back then and I love it. I think they did a great job with the MKV exterior design, but I was a bit disappointed that there is no manual transmission. Also, it’s cool that they teamed up with BMW for it, but the interior is just too BMW. Also, I was hoping for a more Japanese Motorsport heart like the old Supra. That being said, I’m sure it is a solid car and a joy to drive.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A friend of mine just cancelled his order. Thought it looked great outside but was all BMW inside and mostly BMW under the bonnet

jasonm163

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree w/ several others, its a BMW. They really made it underpowered imo especially at the price point.

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK, I am in the minority as I think it looks butt ugly. Serilously whats with those rear lights?!?

It wasn't until I read your guys comments that it made sense, the BMW Z4 is butt ugly imo and it looks like that in so many ways.

So my opinion is a no, stay away and get an MX5 instead. Cheaper and better looking.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m considering one as a fun weekend/ occasional track car... dream shopping (in my head anyways so will likely never happen) between the Launch Edition of the Supra vs the Cayman T (if it ends up coming to the US) vs a used 2016 AMG GT-S (they’ve always been in the shadow of the 911 so they’ve depreciated alot more than a comparable 911 that it makes it highly viable until others start discovering these used and shoots the price up).

When BMW first came out with their turbo straight 6 many have said that the engine is the spiritual successor to the 2JZ... this was before there was a collaboration between the Toyota and BMW. BMW makes excellent straight 6 motors with turbos. Interesting that now that it has happened many are complaining it is a BMW motor...

I’ll reserve judgement for exterior looks until I see one in person. My only complaint for the interior is the steering wheel... however I bet any of the M Performance alcantara steering wheels from the BMW catalogue will fit... just swap in the Toyota airbag.

My take from this is... can’t please everyone and choices are good...

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s another interesting fact... it will be built in Austria by a company called Magna Steyr. This is the same company that’s been building Mercedes G wagons since 1979.

So Toyota badge, BMW engine, manufactured by the same company that builds G wagons.

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s another interesting fact... it will be built in Austria by a company called Magna Steyr. This is the same company that’s been building Mercedes G wagons since 1979.

So Toyota badge, BMW engine, manufactured by the same company that builds G wagons.
That's cool, Frank Stronach and his family live in my town here. There is a huge factory complex along with his Adena Meadows racing horse farm.

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup....I don't know how I exactly feel about that yet....albeit the BMW insides......I have yet to see one in real time though......from what I've read it looks MUCH better in person......I love the red color on it though......awesome.....that is definitely the color I would go with

@ Achooo ....you have an MK4! that is awesome.....how many miles do you have on that bad boy......post a pic of it if you can...

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree w/ several others, its a BMW. They really made it underpowered imo especially at the price point.
Yeah.....they could have given it some more grunt (we could always use more powe).....but that being said....it is lighter than most obese cars these days....and it does a reported 4.1s sprint to 60.....really nothing to sneeze at

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife’s first car was a “hand me down” Celica Supra silver exactly like that picture. Her sister had a matching Celica Supra in maroon.

If she still had it then I’d restore it... but we where in college and her parents decided to get rid of it after overheating too many times.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's cool, Frank Stronach and his family live in my town here. There is a huge factory complex along with his Adena Meadows racing horse farm.
Oh Wild!!!

My wife isn’t letting me get any other vehicular toy until she gets her G Wagon... yep it’s gonna be awhile. At least she’s willing to let me de bling it and turn it into an overland expedition vehicle.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup....I don't know how I exactly feel about that yet....albeit the BMW insides......I have yet to see one in real time though......from what I've read it looks MUCH better in person......I love the red color on it though......awesome.....that is definitely the color I would go with

@ Achooo ....you have an MK4! that is awesome.....how many miles do you have on that bad boy......post a pic of it if you can...
@VoltageDrop I’ve got just shy of 50K on it so relively low mileage. I drive it a couple times per mont. I don’t have any decent pictures on my phone but here’s one.
d52fe12f-9693-4160-936e-402510b75662-jpeg.20996