Question 2020 Mini Cooper EV - 110 miles range!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
So...is Tesla's battery technology THAT much better than legacy automakers or do you buy Mini/BMW's argument that most(85%) EV owners have a second vehicle for longer trips and with the Cooper's size a larger battery would be impossible and still have usable storage?

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's not the battery technology, it's the price point and usage. A Mini is not exactly a long range travel car. It's an around town, commute car. There definitely is such thing as too much battery and 250 mile is too much for a Mini.
  • The car isn't normally driven that far.
  • The Tesla battery is probably bigger than the Mini
  • Adding $5,000 - $10,000+ to the list price takes it out of the target buyer profile

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The battery is 32.6 kWh, per that spec sheet. Unimpressive range for that size battery and that size car, so it's partly the technology.

The Mini at 76" is wider than the Model 3 by 3", so the problem may be easily fitting the two cars side by side in my 19' wide garage. :eek:

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
So...is Tesla's battery technology THAT much better than legacy automakers or do you buy Mini/BMW's argument that most(85%) EV owners have a second vehicle for longer trips and with the Cooper's size a larger battery would be impossible and still have usable storage?
I do believe what Mini says is true for Mini right now. If that same car had a Tesla drive train it would IMHO do much better, comparing it to a (larger?) 3 in size. I'm not able to speculate how much though. As it is, it would work for my wife's 4 miles to work, but not my 24. I like having double the battery available counting a 80% charge and winter, so that puts 150 mile battery availability in my bare minimum. My S with over double that battery falls behind in winter maybe 20 miles a day charging on 110, so until I get it upgraded, I supercharge once midweek. With the Mini I'd have to charge 220 and do virtually no extended driving. My 100 mile distant weekend trips would have to be in the S, but ya, they would anyway. He he

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I drove the original MINI-E for a couple of years and really enjoyed it, even though that 35kWh battery took up the entire rear seat/trunk area! We were really looking forward to this car for my wife, but 110 miles just doesn’t cut it for what we need it for. At least they priced it appropriately for its capability. Getting a modern electric MINI for $22.5K after tax credit, but before any negotiated price reductions (which will be there), is not bad. As long as you mostly plan to use it locally.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The Mini at 76" is wider than the Model 3 by 3", so the problem may be easily fitting the two cars side by side in my 19' wide garage. :eek:
Hmm, something must be off in the published spec sheets. We own both the latest gen MINI, that this car is based on, and a Model 3, both sit in the garage. The MINI is well narrower than the 3, much easier to get in and out with larger margins on each side of our 8’ doors.

TI3T

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
So... I got to see one in person today at the Auto Show. It looks SHARP, however I've always been a fan of the Mini Cooper so take that for what it's worth. The headroom was impressive(I'm 6'2") and felt so much better than the Chevy Bolt which seemed 'cheap' inside for the $39k price tag. The range is obviously MUCH better with the Bolt(more than double), but my wife gave it the same look she gave the $17k Toyota Yaris hatchback we walked by.

Unfortunately, there were no Teslas at the Auto Show as it's basically a dealer-sponsored event to waste a cold, winter afternoon in a heated convention center. We've already got a Camry for longer trips so it might not be bad SECOND car, but I can't see it being our primary with the limited range. Both of us work within a few miles of our home so we really just need the range on trips. The tax credit being available is also a plus!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm so sad and upset with BMW's complete lack of attempt with the new MINI EV. It's just a generations-old BMW i3 drivetrain.
Literally ten years ago, they made the MINI E - available only to California as a lease (sound familiar?) with a 35kWh battery. It was BMW's first test of an electric drive train. And the few lucky enough to get one universally loved it.
I was already on our 2nd or 3rd mini my then and truly wished they released it nationally...at first we thought after a few years, they might do so with the second gen.
Instead the second generation powertrain was placed into the electric BMW 1 series, which coincidentally, was also the one non-MINI I owned in a 15-year span.
These were great cars, and BMW was early on making full electric cars.
Then they finally announced their plans. To come out with an entirely new sub brand (as MINI was to BMW) called BMW i. Dealerships were made to remodel and create separate buildings for the I dealerships, just as they did in 2002 for MINI.
BMW released the I3 - which was strictly a city car, and the i8, which was a hybrid supercar, and within a year or two they were to release their more mainstream sedan etc.
Then I don't know what the heck happened, but BMW did a 180. My dealership spent a year remodeling a building, then painted it over again. They never released any more i-cars or made any further to electrics.
Meanwhile, MINIs got more and more expensive while the fun was getting sapped out with each generation. BMW killed off its best-in-the-industry steering and handling in the 3 series. BMW basically decided to forget about making the ultimate driving machines and make expensive Toyotas.
It was such a great brand and group of people, employees, fans, forums to be a part of for decades, and they really shot themselves in the foot.

While waiting for my Model 3, The Plug in hybrid Mini Countryman came out. I strongly considered it even though I really don't like its large size and no longer tasteful design. But added the usual options as I have in my last 4 cars, it came to $47,000. The Tesla I had on the way was only 3 grand more. What a shame.
My neck hurts with all the head shaking I do thinking about MINI and BMW and all the ways they have gone wrong in the last few years.
Now they're scrambling to make due with that first generation electric drivetrain and check some boxes.

If I could cram a Tesla drivetrain, even with a 40kWh battery, into my 2004 Mini Cooper, good God would I be the happiest camper in the world. They have no idea what potential they are sitting on.

NightStorm

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
... They have no idea what potential they are sitting on.
Amen to all of that. Until I got the Model 3, my 2005 Cooper S was my favorite car ever. The engine blew at 191k and I was prepared to fix it even at the $6-7k estimate. Wife nix'd that which got me into a 2015 Mini. Not the same, not even close.
Too bad, they had a nice look, were a fun go-cart on the road, then started getting bigger and (IMO) uglier. The fun was gone. Shame.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Amen to all of that. Until I got the Model 3, my 2005 Cooper S was my favorite car ever. The engine blew at 191k and I was prepared to fix it even at the $6-7k estimate. Wife nix'd that which got me into a 2015 Mini. Not the same, not even close.
Too bad, they had a nice look, were a fun go-cart on the road, then started getting bigger and (IMO) uglier. The fun was gone. Shame.
Agreed. Almost surprising that old cast iron block could blow.
They were the best cars, and attracted the best people online and in real life. Miss those days, with events every month. Considering you're in NH we probably met at some point

NightStorm

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agreed. Almost surprising that old cast iron block could blow.
They were the best cars, and attracted the best people online and in real life. Miss those days, with events every month. Considering you're in NH we probably met at some point
Or at least waved at each other (which Mini, unlike Tesla, owners always did).

In a way it was the Mini that convinced me to buy the Model 3. At the time I was interested but not decided in the Tesla and was watching Youtube videos by the few who had gotten early versions. In one the owner was trying to describe how much fun his new M3 was to drive. When he made the statement that the closest thing he could compare it to was a Mini Cooper S he once owned, well, that sealed it for me. :D