2019 List of most American Cars: Tesla is ignored

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cars.com’s 2019 American-Made Index: What’s the Most American Car?
By Kelsey Mays
June 25, 2019

Like last year's post in this same forum:

Cars.com 2018 American-Made Index: What's the Most American Car?
where @garsh stated:
How does somebody put together a list of the most American made cars and completely fail to mention Tesla?

Early today, this new article came out with some buzz about it already, again with no mention of Tesla. Anybody figure out what the criteria mismatch is yet, or some other factor?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anybody figure out what the criteria mismatch is yet, or some other factor?
In one of my followup posts in that thread, I found & tried to explain their criteria:

So... I guess what they did is pick some cutoff percentage of parts to consider it American. Require final assembly to be in America. And then pick the companies that made the *most* of those.
But let's test that theory:

#15 on this years' list is the Toyota Tundra.
It looks like they sold 118,000 of them in 2018.
Tesla sold 146,000 Model 3s in 2018.

With 3 production ramping up, Tesla should show up next year.
So now I have absolutely no idea why the Model 3 didn't make the list this year. It definitely should have beat out the Tundra, for goodness sakes.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A while back (early 80's i think), the CRTC (canadian FCC) put together MAPL gradings for canadian content aka cancon. Radio stations in Canada have minimums they promise to meet for playing cancon.

MAPL stood for Music Artist Performance Lyrics, each of the 4 was graded on being canadian or not, and you had to meet 2 of them to be cancon.

While MAPL had good intentions, Rod Stewart recorded an album that counted as cancon while good Vancouver boy Bryan Adams recorded an album in Britain that did not count. So Rod Stewart was canadian content and Bryan Adams was not. citation here

Maybe similar foolishness has the Tundra more "American car" than the Tesla.

shareef777

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to this:

(comment made by cars.com to a user asking the same question) “Tesla declined to furnish enough data”.

Last edited by a moderator:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
“Tesla declined to furnish enough data”.
According to the article:
Sources include AALA data published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, regulatory submissions from automakers obtained by Cars.com, automaker sales and production data, Automotive News sales data and an analysis of Cars.com inventory.
At some point, they're going to have to go with other sources or estimates. They can't just keep ignoring Tesla sales without becoming a joke.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to this:

(comment made by cars.com to a user asking the same question) “Tesla declined to furnish enough data”.
Perhaps Tesla doesn't want to share where every part is coming from. We know plenty of parts do come from China.
Perhaps Tesla prefers us assume it's more American than it really is, even though I'm sure it would be very high, if not the top on the list, despite it not being 100% or even 80% all American.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to the article:
At some point, they're going to have to go with other sources or estimates. They can't just keep ignoring Tesla sales without becoming a joke.
How is Tesla going to get a ranking when the cars arguably don't have two of the measurement criteria: engines and transmissions? :D I guess cars.com counts those as zeroes.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In one of my followup posts in that thread, I found & tried to explain their criteria:

But let's test that theory:

#15 on this years' list is the Toyota Tundra.
It looks like they sold 118,000 of them in 2018.
Tesla sold 146,000 Model 3s in 2018.

So now I have absolutely no idea why the Model 3 didn't make the list this year. It definitely should have beat out the Tundra, for goodness sakes.
Thanks Garsh I noticed that too WTF? Aside from the screen and HW the car is all American.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps Tesla doesn't want to share where every part is coming from. We know plenty of parts do come from China.
The percentage of parts made in the USA and Canada is reported to the federal government and made available on the Monroney window sticker. There's nothing to hide there.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A lot of the time, when one of these lists is compiled, they purposely restrict it to "major manufacturers". Tesla is still considered by most media outlets to be a boutique manufacturer of luxury cars.

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Dang it! Do I have to pay attention to cars.com?

It is like buying a subscription of Consumer Reports so I can complain about their piss poor reviews of my favorite rides.

Bob Wilson