20% mileage loss going 85 - 90 mph

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
In other news, water is wet ;)

On the other hand, Zayasdr, it works in the other direction as well (unlike with an ICE vehicle, which maxes out fuel economy at the bottom of its highest gear). A Model 3 has already been driven 606 miles, primarily just by slowing down, and I expect even that number to be beaten. It's yet another reason why "range anxiety" doesn't need to exist, beyond the ever growing recharging networks and in-vehicle range estimation. If for some reason you don't think you'll make it to your destination... all you need to do is slow down.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not the 20% part. You'll have to share more information about exactly how you determined that the loss was 20%.

Nobody has published a "range vs speed" curve for the Model 3 yet. I believe the graph below is for a Model S 60D or a 70D. The Model 3's curve will be similar. After about 15mph, the mileage keeps decreasing with speed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my road trip I lost 17% of expected range at a steady 77 MPH, so it absolutely sounds reasonable.
So, are you just saying that you could only go 257 miles on a full charge at that speed?

So, @Zayasdr just meant that his range dropped to ~250 miles at 85mph? Yeah, that seems reasonable.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
This is one of the things I really love about the Model 3. It's really efficient at higher speeds due to the fact that it has a lower CD (coefficient of Drag) than any other car. You cannot expect the upcoming Jaguar iPace or the existing Chevy Bolt to travel at those speeds with so little range loss.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
This is one of the things I really love about the Model 3. It's really efficient at higher speeds due to the fact that it has a lower CD (coefficient of Drag) than any other car. You cannot expect the upcoming Jaguar iPace or the existing Chevy Bolt to travel at those speeds with so little range loss.
Indeed - not to mention that Tesla deliberately nerf'ed the Model 3 LR's range stat to make it more realistic, while the others haven't with theirs.

I don't know what it is with other manufacturers and putting their questionable style choices on a higher pedestal than aerodynamics. If GM designed a bird it'd end up looking like this:

Okay, maybe that's unfair. They'd have it taper at the front, just not the rear. And they'd put a big fake grille on it ;)

I have a lot kinder feelings toward the aircraft world. When it comes to aircraft, aerodynamics *always* comes first. Nobody's out tacking needless grilles or fake spoilers or whatnot onto airplanes. Everything's narrow-axis cross section is an airfoil shape, just like physics wants them to be :)

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When it comes to aircraft, aerodynamics *always* comes first. Nobody's out tacking needless grilles or fake spoilers or whatnot onto airplanes. Everything's narrow-axis cross section is an airfoil shape, just like physics wants them to be :)
Except for that one time...

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I know the range would noy be the same. I was wondering if it was 20% loss was comparable to others experiences at that speed.
I haven't travelled enough continuous miles at speeds of 85-90 mph to have a reasonable measurement but, if it's only 20% less efficient than 55- 60 mph, then it's time to get religion. Because the laws of physics are being cheated in your favor!

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know the range would noy be the same. I was wondering if it was 20% loss was comparable to others experiences at that speed.
By the way, for those of you who haven't experienced it yet, if you drive lots faster than speed limit on a Navigated trip and you suddenly can't make it to the next planned Supercharger? my car sent up an alert that told me I needed to reduce speed to 65 mph to reach my next Supercharging stop and when I persisted at the higher speed to keep up with traffic, the Nav software then chose the next nearest Supercharger and readjusted the whole trip to accommodate. I was and still am VERY impressed with the Navigation.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Curious what you experts might have to say about this one. Will the dual motor experience better efficiency at higher speeds due to the different motors forward and rear? Looking for yet another justification for ordering the dual motor (which I did) LOL!

Dan

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Curious what you experts might have to say about this one. Will the dual motor experience better efficiency at higher speeds due to the different motors forward and rear? Looking for yet another justification for ordering the dual motor (which I did) LOL!

Dan
No, it won't . Front is induction, and rear is already broadly efficient. You're adding weight. Sorry! Still a great buy!