2 Years of Saving..

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just to have someone back into your car and not leave a note. Seems silly as it's a car but to walk upto see this was devastating. Still grateful I wasn't in an accident.

Any tips on dealing with insurance etc? Never had to do this before. So far I've let my insurance know and an adjuster is supposed to call me and I've filed a police report.

img_1663-jpg.15369
img_1665-jpg.15370

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You're doing the right thing, just got to wait for the adjuster. You may want to contact the Tesla body shop nearest you and see what their availability looks like. And makes sure that you ask about rentals from adjuster and body shop.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just to have someone back into your car and not leave a note. Seems silly as it's a car but to walk upto see this was devastating. Still grateful I wasn't in an accident.

Any tips on dealing with insurance etc? Never had to do this before. So far I've let my insurance know and an adjuster is supposed to call me and I've filed a police report.

View attachment 15369 View attachment 15370
Very sorry to see that happened to your Model 3. I wonder if there are any cameras around the area where you parked to see if you can catch the culprit on video. Hope the fix will be done quickly. Take care!

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm feeling better. Needed to vent! Now for the road to recovery.

I submitted a police report and had all that done. Insurance company waived my deductible as its a hit and run. I go in for appraisal tomorrow. I should know more early next week. I'm hoping the certified shop can work within the estimate or this could get messy.

Guess there are cameras as that lot so the cops will have something to look at.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You should see if you can obtain the video footage yourself. The cops don't always have time for this kind of low-priority work.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm feeling better. Needed to vent! Now for the road to recovery.

I submitted a police report and had all that done. Insurance company waived my deductible as its a hit and run. I go in for appraisal tomorrow. I should know more early next week. I'm hoping the certified shop can work within the estimate or this could get messy.

Your deductible is waived in a hit and run? I wish New Yorkers were that lucky!

IDK about Mounties but the police officer that I dealt with in a hit and run here was less than willing to do extra work and I was lucky to have a witness leave the other driver's license plate number. Of course it's a crime to leave the scene of an accident but with the officer was unwilling to track down the driver. She just wrote up the accident report and said "That's all the information your insurance will need to make repairs".

Everyone should consider protecting themselves with a dashcam like the Blackvue that will record impacts while parked. There's no guarantee that you will get the license plate but it's better than nothing.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You should see if you can obtain the video footage yourself. The cops don't always have time for this kind of low-priority work.
Already tried. They said they can only release to the police but it makes sense as it is a city owned property.

Your deductible is waived in a hit and run? I wish New Yorkers were that lucky!

IDK about Mounties but the police officer that I dealt with in a hit and run here was less than willing to do extra work and I was lucky to have a witness leave the other driver's license plate number. Of course it's a crime to leave the scene of an accident but with the officer was unwilling to track down the driver. She just wrote up the accident report and said "That's all the information your insurance will need to make repairs".

Everyone should consider protecting themselves with a dashcam like the Blackvue that will record impacts while parked. There's no guarantee that you will get the license plate but it's better than nothing.
Wish it was easier to get power to the Blackvue in the 3. Might consider doing it myself with the battery pack they offer. Annoying thing is I probably don't drive enough to keep it charged.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Already tried. They said they can only release to the police but it makes sense as it is a city owned property.
Bummer. You'll probably need to "check in" with the officer investigating the case to make sure they actually obtain the footage.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Protip: If you're like me and live a good distance from a Tesla certified shop make sure you reach out to them and get a quote ahead of time if possible. My insurance sent me to a local company whom said 'To be honest I don't even want to touch this. It's a complex vehicle and I've got no knowledge of it.' I only got him to appraise it by giving him the quote I already had and hes copying it.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Update: Nothing much happening at this point.

Insurance offered $1000 less than the shop wanted. They'd removed the 'Tesla Fee' that the shop charges. Comes out to about $35 an hour additional due to the certification etc. The shop said they'd deal with insurance and to do nothing. I've confirmed the parts are ordered but no estimate on delivery was given. Been over 2 weeks now and don't even have the estimate yet so might be awhile!

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ugh that sucks. The repair itself shouldn't be that complicated but I guess they don't want to touch it because of the sensors and what not located at the hit point.

Can you get Tesla itself to fix it? Or is that completely out of the question?

Also, have you cleaned it up? Some TLC will make it look a little better (since you are stuck like this for a while).

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Update: Nothing much happening at this point.

Insurance offered $1000 less than the shop wanted. They'd removed the 'Tesla Fee' that the shop charges. Comes out to about $35 an hour additional due to the certification etc. The shop said they'd deal with insurance and to do nothing. I've confirmed the parts are ordered but no estimate on delivery was given. Been over 2 weeks now and don't even have the estimate yet so might be awhile!
Sorry, that really sucks. I would seriously consider Excellence Auto on Midwest in TO. I know it would involve a couple of road trips as it did for me from Cobourg but based on my experience you won’t be disappointed. I will never go anywhere else. Look up my posts on it if you haven’t seen them. They do a ton of Tesla’s and they aren’t satisfied until you are.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ugh that sucks. The repair itself shouldn't be that complicated but I guess they don't want to touch it because of the sensors and what not located at the hit point.

Can you get Tesla itself to fix it? Or is that completely out of the question?

Also, have you cleaned it up? Some TLC will make it look a little better (since you are stuck like this for a while).
Sadly the Tesla bodyshop concept isn't in Canada yet. Stuck with third parties. Watched a video where someone with similar damage had the work completed within 24 hours at Tesla. I was crossing my fingers I'd not have to do anything body related until it was up and going. I did take the police stickers off and did wash it up a bit. Now it just looks like an interesting body carve haha. I'm more of an optimistic person and luckily for me this happened to the fender that had 5 rock chips. Long story short it was some psycho weed whacking in TO pointing towards the road so it pelted all the cars driving by.

Sorry, that really sucks. I would seriously consider Excellence Auto on Midwest in TO. I know it would involve a couple of road trips as it did for me from Cobourg but based on my experience you won’t be disappointed. I will never go anywhere else. Look up my posts on it if you haven’t seen them. They do a ton of Tesla’s and they aren’t satisfied until you are.
I'm going with Leons actually. They had better google reviews. Main concern with Excellence is that their quotes seem to come in higher. My insurance is already trying to cheap out. I may find out what companies Leons/Excellence does quotes for as if this happened again thats one side I'd wanna cut down. I'd prefer to get a quote from a Tesla shop that works with the insurance company.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Followed up with bodyshop after about 2-3 weeks of waiting. They confirmed the parts have arrived besides the front bumper. Was supposed to ship October 10th and they've not seen it so they're looking into it more. Still, seems good news to me as within a month most of the parts have arrived.

Country
Country
I'm also in Canada on the west coast and recently had a front bumper accident that was supposed to be fixed in 3-4 days once the new bumper arrived (2 weeks wait, but I was still able to drive the car). Once they opened it up there were more parts they needed to order ... which took an additional 5 weeks to arrive and the car sat there in the shop :( was not impressed, but at least we had a loaner. Agreed, Tesla really needs to open up their own body shops up here or at least get the parts supply chain down to 2-5 business days. The customer service at the body shop has been great otherwise, but their hands are tied when the parts are not available :(

Jayc

Country
Country

View attachment 15369 View attachment 15370

Sorry to see this happen to your car. And worst still, for the coward to have done a runner.

Hoping you will manage to get it back in original form soon.