2-day Money Back Guarantee

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

RoadToLevel5

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I didn't know Tesla offered a money back guarantee. I noticed this on a recent marketing email:

We are highly confident that you will feel great about your purchase, which is why you can always return it within two days for a full refund.
I don't know if anyone ever returns a Tesla, but maybe if you're not fully satisfied or changed your mind for a different configuration, it's good to know that the option is there. I can't imagine all the hassle you'd have to go through.

The first time I heard of a money back guarantee with vehicles was Carvana's 7-day guarantee.

Is this new with Tesla?

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I saw that in an email today, too. That's the first I've heard of it.

It's pretty unheard of to have a money back guarantee on a new car, because of the depreciation hit when you drive it off the lot. I don't think Tesla can resell that car as new after you return it. Added to that, the $7500 tax credit only applies to new cars, so Tesla would have to sell that used car at a really deep discount. I guess they're pretty confident that there won't be many returns.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I saw that in an email today, too. That's the first I've heard of it.

It's pretty unheard of to have a money back guarantee on a new car, because of the depreciation hit when you drive it off the lot. I don't think Tesla can resell that car as new after you return it. Added to that, the $7500 tax credit only applies to new cars, so Tesla would have to sell that used car at a really deep discount. I guess they're pretty confident that there won't be many returns.
Worst case it becomes a test drive car I would think.

M3Pguy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Anyone ever utilized, after not happy with delivery?
I got an email from Tesla, reminding me about this policy.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Elon tweeted this to an individual a couple weeks ago. There was speculation then if that was an offer specifically for that person, or everyone. Sounds like it was pushed thru for all

Canuck42

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone ever utilized, after not happy with delivery?
I got an email from Tesla, reminding me about this policy.
IF...anyone ever did partake in this option, I doubt they would be returning to this forum, unless they changed their mind and now ordered an S or X, then I could see them returning......... big IF though ;)

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hmmmmm, I wonder if I bought another and returned it in two days if I could keep the tax credit. The IRS docs only state you need to show you purchased an EV. I could use $15000 in credits this year.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hmmmmm, I wonder if I bought another and returned it in two days if I could keep the tax credit. The IRS docs only state you need to show you purchased an EV. I could use $15000 in credits this year.
It’s written somewhat vague so there is gray area here. Technically you can buy and sell the car quickly and still claim the credit. It basically stipulates you can’t specifically buy the car for the purpose of reselling and claim the credit. In other words “you buy it, realize it’s not the right one for you, sell it, and buy another”. That would qualify for $15,000 in tax credit so long as you have $15,000 in tax liability. On the “return” I doubt you have the right to keep the credit, but I’m not sure.

Now, I’m not a tax accountant so I recommend consulting with yours. Also, even if it’s technically allowed, it does feel like cheating the system a bit.

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla may not register or title the car until the 2 days have passed.
So they could sell the car as new, never titled.
And you won't get to claim the tax credit.

I recall a dealer once making such and offer and they told me they hold the title and registration until that time has passed, for that reason.
But I want to repeat, Tesla "may" do this. I don't know for sure.